39 coaches online • Server time: 13:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

This selecting of 3 MVPs makes team building less fun. Gone are the days of linemen rising through the ranks. I've barely registered an SPP on linemen in the 10 or so games I've played under the new rules.

Also it just adds a further delay to the end of the game.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 01:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. It also changes the balance with those hard to skill players such as BOBs, I think the new seasons rules counteract the issue - so hopefully SWL will be sweet.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

it's certainly quite a mixed bag of ups and downs.
the fact that the mvp's represent suhc a significant amount of the overall SPP you get means I feel pressured to place them where they'll do the most good, rather than what makes sense based on the match or just the randomness of the fans.
feels a bit too gamist (in the gamist vs simulationist sense)
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. It helps get those teams moving.

Though yeah, it may need seasons to keep it in check.

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think with the way seasons work (which I confess to not entirely understand yet mind you), you need some way to get those slow-skilling players to move along or they'll get too old to keep before they gain any skills.

I was still giving MVPs to linemen in my woodelf team. The tree was always in the list, and new replacement positionals would often make the list too, but otherwise they went to linemen. I want spread skills anyway. Maybe the various undead teams wouldn't.

Flavourwise, the old random system wasn't really that flavourful. It regularly went to ridiculous choices compared to how the way the game went. At least you can choose to base it on the game now, if that's what floats your boat. Otherwise (if you ignore what MVP stands for), you can just think of it as the players who you focus your training efforts on between games.
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 02:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Only thing stopping the Coach from assigning Linos to the D3 is the Coach Razz

Can base it on your best 3 performers, funniest 3 moments from players, your only randomly determined 3...

...or play it to min-max and then rail against the boring system Wink Razz

For what its worth I still assign Linos who get some SPPs to the cycle to grab that first skill or even 2nd skill... BUt would need to a special team (ie few positionals) to get to the 3rd/4th skill like some jammy Linos of years gone by with 7+ MVPs Razz . I like to spread SPPs to get 2-3 skills on all players vs building Super Stars or above...

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 05:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the new rules

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I think d6 might have been better, spread things around without having to feed MVPs to random dead/crippled guys. Overall I think it's a net positive though.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 06:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer 2d6 for all players, highest roll on each team gets MVP, 12s on multiple players result in multiple MVP
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:
This selecting of 3 MVPs makes team building less fun. Gone are the days of linemen rising through the ranks. I've barely registered an SPP on linemen in the 10 or so games I've played under the new rules.

Disagree. I think it helps a lot; I hated when dead players get MVP and who wants there Dirty Player gaining extra skills (and TV)
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep in mind that most players don't play hundreds of games in a year. For someone who plays 10-20 matches in their table top league at home, the new rules just yield more actual team development so that's good. My understanding is that the current rule used to be a popular house rule in many leagues even before it became official.

I still give the MVP to Linemen every once in a while, when they happen to have made a pass, cas or score in game. Skill them up once. Rarely more than once though, if it's not a stat or double. Except Elves who like to get Blodge/Wrodge. And Dwarf Blockers if you wanna call them Linemen.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The old system was better for rewarding better coaching. However calling it an MVP didn't really fit well. Random gift from the gods would have been better. It also lead to unrealistic plays.

I don't really like the new system either, but I tend to hate most changes.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

New system is much much better
If you don't like it, assign the D3 players randomly, like D Arquebus said

D6 instead of D3 would punish vamps because thralls would still get it
Lizardmen the skinks generally do nothing but score and the saurus do all the real work, and now you can keep MVP on saurus where it belongs

It's still easy to get most linemen to 6spp if you want them to

For undead type teams its probably better to spread skills out, because you don't have the apoth to focus on your superstars. It's very hard to wipe out a team with regen + bench + everyone has block
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Block Zombies are much better than most coaches realize.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2018 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably the biggest beneficiary of MVP rule is Underworld. You can pump all SPP into troll and blitzers
the other rats can get TDs, the gobs won't skill at all
The team also has apoth + regen on troll
 Jump to: