31 coaches online • Server time: 13:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Had an Ogre coach concede late at night last night on TT. Game had started late and gone long, and he was down 0-5 to a Necro team, with 5 Ogres, 2 Snots, and a re-roll going into turn 11. The concession really damaged his team but he was tired and both coaches were frustrated, and the deadline was nigh so continuing another night would not have been an option.

This got me thinking about a mercy rule. Something like, if you're down by 4 or more in the second half, you can concede without the usual penalties. Good idea, or no?

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there is a mercy rule for if you can't field 3 players
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The acceptable threshold for mercy would have to be different for each race. A wood elf team with 2 wardancers standing (and a competent coach) is still very much a threat even 4 players down.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

terrible idea

ogres do not give or expect mercy. that is elf-like behavior.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

In my tabletop league we once in a while just kinda do a gentleman's click end turn if the game is over and we both have somewhere else to be. Just call it where it is and let both people roll their winnings, etc.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 01:53 Reply with quote Back to top

that train has no brakes, I'm afraid...

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ph0enyx13 wrote:
I think there is a mercy rule for if you can't field 3 players
yes, but this is more along the lines of being down by lots of TDs (and physically unwilling/unable to continue a decided game that has gone way too long).

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
terrible idea

ogres do not give or expect mercy. that is elf-like behavior.

xD

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

On Fumbbl I would encourage my opponent to just end every turn without moving any players and I will do the same.
The_Carthaginian

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
On Fumbbl I would encourage my opponent to FOUL every turn ... and I will do the same.

Fixed. Very Happy
razmus

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

And every times the ref sends a player off, yell "SAFE!" in the chat box, and perform the traditional foul dance of your people.

Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

If a deadline is the problem, enforce the 4 minute turn limit and the issue is solved.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Lill-Leif wrote:
If a deadline is the problem, enforce the 4 minute turn limit and the issue is solved.
Not sure exactly what to do here. The other coaches are mostly pretty raw, but a couple of them have a couple seasons under their belts, and one of them is me (Underworld, 8-0-0 and counting). So there are huge skill disparities, which a shorter turn time limit exacerbates. On top of this, this game they had outside distractions that slowed everybody down a lot.

We've thought about going to 5 minutes... but these guys aren't ready for 4 minutes yet. Wouldn't stop the outside distractions problem. And doesn't cure the major flaw in the game, which is that sometimes there's just no drama. I guess if they had fought on the Ogres could inflict/suffer injuries, and there's always the "what will the final score be?" thing to consider. But there were still at least 45 minutes of game-time left, assuming they played fast (unlikely, they were tired) and with no distractions (the wife and kids had gone to bed by then, and the phone had stopped ringing).

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldn't put in a mercy rule for the official bb rules, but in a local tt scene you can just use common sense. I'd say in your case you could've just said the game was over, if everyone in the league (?) agrees. You all know who is or isn't trying to game the system
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2018 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

a mercy rule is fine if it's what the players want. you can always houserule your leagues however you like in tabletop.
A main question would be what the players involved would think about various houserules to fix the problem; would the winning player mind a mercy end to the game, since it gives fewer spps than if he won (or than if his opponent concedes)? why was the winnin coach frustrated btw?
the simplest method imho is a rule that allows players to mutually end the game on account of not enough time to finish. in tabletop leagues; it's much easier to use social enforcement mechanisms; and having strict and specific rules may not be as necessary. so you could just say players can agree to mutually end the game if it's really harsh, and le tthe players decide what that means (and just talk over with rest of the lague afterwards to try to get a sense of some vague guidelines).
 Jump to: