10 coaches online • Server time: 06:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a league game vs a 2100 TV orc team I've got a 1200 TV underworld team. I know I'm gonna get my head kicked in but if I could find a way to stay somewhat competitive and at least make him work for it that would be nice. Any advice would be appreciated Smile
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Tabletop league, or here on FUMBBL?

What do the teams look like (especially the orcs)?

Any strategy will have to be tailor-made for you to exploit their weaknesses if it's going to have a shot. It's also important whether you're using any optional league rules, whether cards or wizards are available etc. So, we need more information in order to help you.
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are your standard wrecking crew team (World Wrestling Evisceration) and league allows cards/wizards/stars. I've not had to much experience with high TV level disparity and I got murdered in my last game.
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaws & claws are bad for orcs. A bomber is also useful when trying to stop a cage. It's not likely to turn the game in your favor, but it'll probably worry your opponent somewhat.
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Oof.

Well, the good news is they're slow (except for Roman) and they only have 3 rerolls. They also don't have a bench, while you're likely to have 16 men. The bad news is they have heaps of Tackle and an MB Blitzer so they are pretty likely to just splatter you.

I think you might go for something like

Glart Smashrip
Nobbla Blackwart
Babes x2
Wizard

and then EITHER
Chef

Or

4x Dirty Trick cards
1x Bribe

With a Claw blizter and Nobbla you can try to get some removals of your own to keep the numbers more even. And with the Chef you can put pressure on their rerolls, forcing them to play conservatively and giving you more fuel for the risky plays you are going to have to make to have a chance here.

It goes without saying you'll need lots of luck, but I think you should have a shot.

If you don't think the Chef will have enough impact, or particularly if they buy more rerolls before the match, you can drop it for a Bribe and a heap of cards - they can let you foul opportunistically or help keep Nobbla around, but getting good fouls against AV 9 when under so much pressure is likely to be hard, and Nobbla is likely to eat a blitz at some point, so that's plan B.

Dirty Tricks are good though, if you get lucky with your draws it could go far towards evening things up. Up to what you prefer really.
DaCoach

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

No wiz allowed in the league
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Halfabrain said otherwise, but okay... that makes things harder, but 3 Dirty Tricks work as a substitute for a Wizard.
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules page suggests they are allowed but it's probably out of date so if coach says no pointy hats then I'll take that as gospel. Thanks for the suggestions, what about fezglich? With a load of slow BO he might be worth a look...
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Fezglitch might be good, tie up a bunch of players. But I don't have a lot of experience with him and I find it hard to evaluate the actual impact of Ball and Chain players on your odds of winning. You can only have 2 stars after all and I think both Glart and Nobbla are likely to have more impact for you. But I could be wrong.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 14:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take Glart for sure, but IDK about Nobbla. If the 30k doesn't make much difference, Skitter is a better value. No Secret Weapon, MA9, AG4. Don't bother with Stab, just use him as a Gutter Runner. Fezglitch is mediocre against Orcs: they're strong enough to knock him out after a turn or so, without really going hog-wild on the assists.

Dirty Tricks and Bribes are way better than chefs. Esp against teams without a bench. Don't forget to foul! If it's TT and other cards are allowed, you might go for some Miscellaneous Mayhem; those are at least about as good as Dirty Tricks.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Good star advice JR, but the match is on FUMBBL. These are the teams:

Orc: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=782860
And UW: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=899317
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

So then:

Glart (210k)
Skitter (160k)
2 Babes (100k)
2 Bribes (200k)
4 Dirty Tricks (200k)
and a partridge in a pear tree (complementary)

comes to 870k, or you can cut Skitter for Nobbla to afford another card and get to 890.

Edit: All of which is assuming nothing notable happens to the orcs in their match against the Karak-Hirn Longbeards ( https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=860382 ) mind you.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yah, 3 claws (2 w MB, 2 w Block) and a 5-man bench against 11-man Orcs bodes well. Hunt his better Blitzers with your ClawMB guy (try to get MA8 guy and/or the guy with MB/Tackle), try to just pick off anybody you can with the Troll. There's a good chance that Nuffle will call this game, and if He does, it may well be in your favor.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 15:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Go long beards. I got parachuted into that league as a late replacement, hence the hilarious mismatch. Skitter sounds like a good idea. Not sure about the bribes, without the SW I doubt they'll get used, certainly not just to keep a gobbo for the next drive. As you said earlier I'm not sure how many opportunities I'll get to foul. Maybe buy a few more dirty tricks?
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2018 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't get more than 5 cards. You're probably right about 2 bribes being overkill if you don't get Nobbla. But it is neat to have one so you can just keep fouling every turn and hoping for the best.
 Jump to: