68 coaches online • Server time: 21:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

So far, I tried to knockout those players that have these skills, but it's not working that well -> I lose many games as they just jump in in the cage, strip the ball and bye bye. Any other hints/suggestions? I know that the ballcarrier should have SURE HANDS and then you're fine, but If you have a STR 5 ballcarrier, it's not always possible to have access to all skills.

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I have this problem with my Ogre teams. Often on new teams I don't even have Block on the ball carrier.

1.Try to make it 3 dice against by having Guard on each corner.
2.Consider a tighter cage made up of more players so there are less places to jump into.
3.Get Stand Firm so at least if the ball is stripped it scatters from the centre of the cage and not the edge.
4. Have a dirty player around and/or make it clear you going to foul any failed leap attempts, as a deterrent.
5. Have a back up plan if the ball does come loose.

Not all of these are always possible and sometimes there is nothing you can do if elfs gonna elf, but remember, if they score, they got to line up again for you to hit 'em ;0
Squiglet

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Make the leap as hard as possible by screening the cage so they must perform some dodges to get into leaping position

2. Make the block as difficult as possible - high ST ball carrier with Guards on the cage should make it -2bd at least

3. Foul - make sure they know that you have no problem gang fouling any failed leaper by fouling a lot early on in the game, this often encourages pixel huggers to hold back their legendary strip-leaper stat freak.

4. Theoretically (because I've never tried this) use Tackle/DT player to mark the leaper or between the leaper and the cage

5. Most importantly get some SH on your team
tussock

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you beat a ST 5 ball carrier without leap strip? I mean, other than Guard and Dauntless, or a lucky big guy blitz, or just keep throwing dice at it and hope for the best.

I know that the answer in general is that few ST 5 ballers have Sure Hands, so just use a leap stripper, but not all teams have that AG 4+ Leap player to put Strip Ball on, you know, it's not always possible to have access to all skills.

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
How do you beat a ST 5 ball carrier without leap strip? I mean, other than Guard and Dauntless, or a lucky big guy blitz, or just keep throwing dice at it and hope for the best.

Yeah you have to take a shot with 2 dice against. it helps if they don't have block but even then Wrestle is possible. If you come up against a ST5 blodger its a lot tougher but they are very rare outside of vamp teams.
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Along with what has already been said, a butterfly cage can be useful for a lot of races against those pesky slann & wardancers.

This is a regular cage :

:-: The 4 dots are the cage pillars and the dash is the ball carrier. There is 1 tile empty between the cage pillars and the ball carrier is connected to all pillars.

This is a butterfly cage :

:--: It is essentially the same as a regular cage but with another player next to the ball carrier inside the cage. Any opposing player trying to dodge in the cage will still have to dodge into 3 tacklezones, and your ball carrier will have the assist of the other player inside the cage in the event of a blitz since it would require another leap/dodge in the cage to negate that assist. If you have any players with guard, those should obviously be placed as pillars on the corner of the cage where a leaper might not suffer from the additional assist.

The other advantage is that you get to protect a second valuable player (say, a second skink for example) inside the cage, if your opponent decides to stall your advance with peripheral blitzes & column defense. Also, if your opponent still manages to knock the ball loose, that's one more player close to the action & available next turn for countermeasures. Lastly it means more ground for your opponent to cover if he decides to besiege your cage. This however can work against you since it also means one less player to control the rest of the pitch and potentially prevent your opponent from reaching your ball carrier at all - which is always the best option.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
How do you beat a ST 5 ball carrier without leap strip?

-2d with Wrestle, Tackle, Leap, Frenzy, Pro, Dauntless (assuming no Guards and no assists around the ST 5 and no Sure Hands).
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 12, 2018 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Make sure the block is -2D.
2. Try to force dodge before the leap so he rolls more dice.
3. Ideally try to make a loose double screen. Even a wardancer cannot leap twice.
4. If you cant do no3, then try to position some player to mark the loose ball, and make sure you control from what direction the leap is coming from.
5. Hit the skilless players to try and remove them.
6. Do not foul early. It is too big of a positional disadvantage, and if you are sent off there is less resistance vs leap. The more body you have the more loose double screen you can do.
7. You can try to mark the leaper to force more dodges.
8. If double screen protection is not feasible, but you have STR advantage, then you can mark a couple of players is worthwile. For example against rats, you can mark linerats. Opponent will likely not dodge with them before sack attempt, nor blitz free either if he wants to sack. Then even if you are sacked, you have a chance to trim their numbers, and potentially come back from their defensive TD.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2018 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Depending on the skills of the leaper (ie. does he have sidestep?) consider pressing forward in a manner that means that any leap into a cage leaves good odds of surfing the player.

This is obviously a pretty high risk gambit, as to successfully pull it off you have to actually make the leap seem worth it to your opponent, but should your opponent only have a single leaping sacker, it can be of merit.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2018 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You position around it and have redundant BC or pickup options if it works against you. Others have provided some tactical insight but thats the high level look at it.
Igvy

Post   Posted: May 13, 2018 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul - it is in the rules. For bonus tactics have a lino with dirty player. If he doesnt make the first leap/dodge just make sure he doesnt get a second chance.

This works against lots of teams with a single strong unit or specific tactical unit.
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2018 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

That’s wood elves for you, hehe

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2018 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Some obvious tips:

1. Mark the leapers Dwarf-to-Elf where possible. Force him to waste rerolls on dodges.
2. Make sure opposite corners of the cage have Guard:
Code:

g-x
-b-
x-g

3. Screen of the rest of their team from the cage. You may not be able to prevent a leaper from jumping in, but you make it unlikely that anyone else can recover the ball:
Code:

------x
-------
g-x----
-b----x
x-g----
-------
------x

In this example, the right most x-s are being used to screen the cage from the majority of the elf team. Even if they don't block the leaper (and often they do), they make access to the ball difficult.
4. This is solid, but...
Code:

xxx
xbx
xxx

The trick is to balance being protective of the ball and being aggressive enough to move down-field to actually score. Takes some experience to get right. It helps to examine whether you actually need all parts of a cage. If the ball carrier is out of reach, then you don't need one at all for example (such as when you recover a deep kick). I know that sounds obvious, but I see a lot of newer players overly defending the ball without making progress down field.

Oscar Wilde
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2018 - 05:28 Reply with quote Back to top

kill the filthy strip ball/leaper

Post   Posted: Jun 10, 2018 - 07:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Play R. Refuse challenges from leaping stripballers.