32 coaches online • Server time: 01:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Oh another question just to see if there might be a relationship (not that this is robust statistical analysis or anything). I'm right handed and gravitate towards the bottom. I wonder if lefties are more apt for the top.

was thinking the same. Except I'm left handed and go south.

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

So I see how many people on here have a set game plan for the half. I have always played turn by turn. Just take what my opponent gives me. I've found I really only have to plan with extremely slow teams.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
thoralf wrote:
Pass Block bias is strong.

Which is a shame in that it CAN BE a very useful skill in the right match-ups.
I used to use it with a Norse Team that ONLY played Elves and was built to Counter Elf.
It helped to take away that Deep Pass threat and force them to go Teeth to Teeth with my Norsemen.

But the bias against the skill is ingrained here NOT just because the skill stinks in the wrong match-up.
But the BUGS with Pass Block which BREAK THE GAME really add to it.

Nothing worse that a skill you rarely get to use (because FUMBBL coaching is SO RUN HEAVY)...
But then you finally get to use it... or it gets used against you and the game FREEZES.

Ill need confirmation but i feel like its literally only eldril that breaks the client on a pass block fail. I havent noticed it in a long spell otherwise.

I feel like Eldril's IN GAME APPEARANCES equal about 90% of all appearances of a player with Pass Block.
Making him, by far, the most likely player to trigger the BUG.

Last edited by Catalyst32 on %b %19, %2018 - %20:%May; edited 1 time in total
Jeffro

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
Oh another question just to see if there might be a relationship (not that this is robust statistical analysis or anything). I'm right handed and gravitate towards the bottom. I wonder if lefties are more apt for the top.

I'm left handed and the same... when all is equal, I will go south. That being said, I think there may be some cognitive bias with the fact that western society reads left to right, top to bottom. Were this not the case, I bet there would be some tendencies in whatever fashion our eyes have been trained to follow action and completion.

I took a speed reading course a long time ago, and part of the exercises were just to have your eyes move faster from one side of the page across the words. The argument was that comprehension would follow after you trained your eyes to move in that fashion. But if you let your eyes follow your brain, you'd never push your brain to catch up.

So I'd buy that as we use our eyes to scan the field, we would favor the bottom unless there was a glaring gap. Or unless we're pythrr and are at odds with any natural convention...
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
thoralf wrote:
Pass Block bias is strong.

Which is a shame in that it CAN BE a very useful skill in the right match-ups.
I used to use it with a Norse Team that ONLY played Elves and was built to Counter Elf.
It helped to take away that Deep Pass threat and force them to go Teeth to Teeth with my Norsemen.

But the bias against the skill is ingrained here NOT just because the skill stinks in the wrong match-up.
But the BUGS with Pass Block which BREAK THE GAME really add to it.

Nothing worse that a skill you rarely get to use (because FUMBBL coaching is SO RUN HEAVY)...
But then you finally get to use it... or it gets used against you and the game FREEZES.

Ill need confirmation but i feel like its literally only eldril that breaks the client on a pass block fail. I havent noticed it in a long spell otherwise.

I feel like Eldril's IN GAME APPEARANCES equal about 90% of all appearances of a player with Pass Block. Making him, by far, the most likely player to trigger the BUG.

That's definitely that in play, no doubt.

Rawlf wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

It is just Eldril - or more precisely the combination of pass block and hypnotic gaze.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/10

Thanks Rawlf, I was thinking about this ticket subconsciously when trying to recall the issue.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffro wrote:

So I'd buy that as we use our eyes to scan the field, we would favor the bottom unless there was a glaring gap. Or unless we're pythrr and are at odds with any natural convention...

dode74 wrote:
Show us the data.

Mr. Green

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Jeffro wrote:
Arktoris wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

I'm left handed and the same... when all is equal, I will go south. That being said, I think there may be some cognitive bias with the fact that western society reads left to right, top to bottom. Were this not the case, I bet there would be some tendencies in whatever fashion our eyes have been trained to follow action and completion.

I took a speed reading course a long time ago, and part of the exercises were just to have your eyes move faster from one side of the page across the words. The argument was that comprehension would follow after you trained your eyes to move in that fashion. But if you let your eyes follow your brain, you'd never push your brain to catch up.

This is some meat right here - it's too bad we don't have more coaches from areas that use different systems.
SpecialOne

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe the lefthand/righthand issue is only really in play when playing TableTop. As your own endzone usually points towards you. So righthanded goes to the right for them, and the lefthanded goes to the left, as it is not a question of top/bottom.

Myself on fumbbl is righthanded, but I am not aware if I go one way or the other. I like to think of myself as a coach who acts on the game, and not my own bias. Replays! Here I come!
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

SpecialOne wrote:
Maybe the lefthand/righthand issue is only really in play when playing TableTop. As your own endzone usually points towards you. So righthanded goes to the right for them, and the lefthanded goes to the left, as it is not a question of top/bottom.

Myself on fumbbl is righthanded, but I am not aware if I go one way or the other. I like to think of myself as a coach who acts on the game, and not my own bias. Replays! Here I come!

You might be ambi-clientous? I just needed to be hit in the face in a hamfisted way to have my "aha!" moment.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Going down you obviously have gravity aiding you so much easier - you're going to fail more gfi going up as your players are working harder Wink
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 15, 2018 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I always try the old switcheroo. Works every time. Actually I haven't noticed a strong preference but I reckon I favour the top.

I have spoken to a couple of table toppers who preferred Cyanide over FUMBBL mainly because FUMBBL has a side view rather than portrait so they couldn't stand it!

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

I recently played a league match where the dirty trick card 'stolen playbook' was acquired. The problem is not pass block itself, it's the pass block/ hypnotic gaze combo & to have both is rare unless...You have a team that consists of some players w/ hypnotic gaze. The team I played was a [SL] team that had players w/ hypnotic gaze AND they got the 'stolen playbook' card AND the coach gave it to a hypnotic gaze player! A very unique situation, but not limited to Eldril at least when [SL] teams or Vampire teams are involved.

The issue occurs when you use the pass block skill, & dodge using the pass block skill w/ a hypnotic gaze player.

Last edited by Nightbird on %b %16, %2018 - %02:%May; edited 4 times in total
Nightbird

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
Not getting to Pass Block with Vamps is sadness.

Pass Block also locks the game if you dodge/leap out of Tents and fail the Tents check during the steps.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/12

Or if you Pass Block toward a punt and can't get into an intercept legal square, because there's no catcher to apply a TZ to, or you stop in the empty square the ball is aimed at.

https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs?id/30

But that is the only three ways that Pass Block will kill the game. Very Happy

Wrong... Wink
But thanks for listing other issues w/ pass block Exclamation

P.S. I've not logged this 'stolen playbook bug' as a bug, but Kryten did deal w/ the issue so maybe he did. If not it should be logged if it's not already. Anyone Question

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a table top discussion about building defenses that look symmetrical but are weighted to the left hand side (offence's right hand side). People are usually right handed they tend to do things on that side. There an argument for inverting for a southpaw opponent.

Of course now people know about it it becomes quite meta. My answer is to not think about setup until the defense is set, and always base the side on which is weaker. Even it it symmetrical, have a reason for your choice. I'll tend to too build a defense that has the players with the high numbers on their base as they're more likely to be 3rd stringers and more likely to roll skulls*.

Post   Posted: May 16, 2018 - 05:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I will go whichever way your tendency suggests you're weaker against.

This is why i win. Happy to help.