34 coaches online • Server time: 01:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Colin

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2003 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to hassle you, Ski, but I'm curious to know what the progress on the last three skills to be implemented is? (They are Pass Block, Diving Catch and Multiple Block, to save ppl from checking Ski's website)

Pass Block is the most important; Multiple Block has been clarified in the LRB v2.0, so it seems possible to implement it now.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2003 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you've probably got them in the correct order of difficulty. My guess?

Diving Catch would be easiest to put in (just a small addition to the catching rules to check for the skill, and of course the diving catch rules themselves).

Multiple Block would probably be next in order of difficulty. You'd need to get the block to check for the skill, check if it's applicable, possibly figure out how to have the odds display (when you click block and mouse over a potential target you get the blue or red squares, ya know?), and write the code for the skill itself (including applicability of other skills like PO and RSC). Then come the follow-ups, which would need to be re-written as well. Lots of possibilites for bugs there, as well.

The real pain in the butt? Pass Block. I would love to see it, but you'd have to add the check into every pass to check along the path of the ball. Then check every opponent within 3 squares of that path (reusing the FA code, but still, yikes!) and then allow the movement of the pass blocker (don't you have to head into the path of the ball or against the thrower or catcher? Yikes again.), which could have differing results. Then there's an extra modifier for interception rolls, maybe rechecking the target number for the pass (if the blocker puts a TZ on the thrower). Ugh.

No, I don't even know Java, so I'm hardly an expert. In fact, I'm probably ignorant of several other steps in the above list. This long tirade is intended for 2 reasons. To try to answer your question is the least important one (I'm sorry to say), as I'm hardly qualified to do so and couldn't really do anything about the code, even if I was. The real reason is to say thanks to Ski and point out what hard work we all take for granted, sometimes.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2003 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm well aware of the difficulty of implementing these skills - I observed a conversation between SkiJunkie and Christer some time ago concerning the nightmares of implementing Pass Block, and yes, it's the code that checks if the Pass Blocker can effect play that makes it so difficult. I was just curious to see how Ski was getting on with them. And yes, he is doing a brilliant job Smile