20 coaches online • Server time: 06:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SearchingForDevereaux

Post 8 Posted: May 29, 2018 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I haven't been playing Blood Bowl long. At all. In any capacity. However, I was told that FUMBBL would be a great place to get some games and maybe learn something. I figured alright, I'd try it out.

Oh, I see that Ranked League is supposed to be great for new coaches. Super! Let's sign up a team and play some games!
Oh, but Gamefinder options are only giving me games vs. "Rising Star", "Star", and occasionally even "Superstar" players. People who surely have infinitely more experience than I do with the game, much less the team they're probably piloting

Why are these the suggested matches? Sure, the TV checks out, but that's nowhere close to making a balanced match. Why is the "new coach-friendly" ladder throwing me straight against people who clearly aren't new?

Alternatively, where do I go to play against people who aren't going to stomp me over and over again? I understand that you learn by playing against people better than you, but having every mistake exacted upon isn't a learning experience, it's frustrating, and compounds quickly in Blood Bowl.
Harad

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome!
So the moniker of 'emerging star', 'star' etc. isn't quite as bad as you might think. On the site everyone has a rating which evolves over time which corresponds to the ratings players are given in the game at different levels of SPP. So I think the weakest coaches are veterans, then emerging stars, then stars, then super stars, then legends. New coaches have the moniker of rookie. Now these ratings are only a guide and shouldn't be taken too seriously but they give you an idea.
Depending on your skill level you may find many of these opponents good to play against.
Ranked doesn't try to suggest 'good matches', other than some TV limits early on, it leaves you to choose. Some consider this easier for starters than environments where your opponent is chosen for you.
You may also see other rookies around but there may be almost more uncertainty here as it could be someone with a lot of skill who is just new to Fumbbl or it could be a complete beginner.
If you find these aren't the games you are looking for, try the 145 club
https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view
I'm not completely up to speed on this but someone from here will be able to help you as it's a group set up to help people who are newer to the game get matches against others in a similar position.
Any questions just shout.
razmus

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 15:07 Reply with quote Back to top

First, the 145 Club is a great place to start. It's also league games so those games don't impact your coach ranking.

Second, in game finder, I think you'll ALSO appear as an Emerging Star until you get ten games under your belt... if I recall correctly.

You can also create teams in the 'League' division and still use gamefinder, and the games won't impact your coach ranking. Be aware, that Secret League also uses the 'League' division... and secret league teams can't play 'standard roster' teams. (But you can create secret league teams and get even more games!) It is often a little easier to find more friendly games in open league/open secret league play. (I think partially because it doesn't impact CR.)

I'd almost claim the Black Box division is more friendly to newer coaches just because no one is picking easy games... it is all random assignments.

But really, the 145 Club is exactly what you are looking for.

Markusen

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to Fumbbl, SFD.

I agree with Harad about the quality of the titles, not everything what shines is gold. Take those classes more as an indicator that a coach knows what he does on the pitch.
Besides that, if you really want to learn more about general tactics or specific team maneuvers or about skill combinations to aim for on specific players, why not check out how the experienced coaches handle those issues?
Yes, that means you will take more losses.
But as long as you
- remember some cool moves,
- figure out how/why the opponent played a tactical concept
- notice any player who let you bite in your keyboard several times a match,
it's a win for your future coaching and team development.

Often win against new players will let to get confident in your play style. Which is also nice, because, we all know, a successful match increases the fun for a game. Your so far successful style may fail when facing more experienced coaches who know how to handle your kind of playing the game.

For myself, I don't want to miss some heavy beat downs I suffered. It let me improve or at least overthink certain moves / tactics.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

try this place

I've heard nothing bad about it in the ~15 years it's been around.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

(Ooh... and Arktoris reminded me of one of the challenges being new and being told that the 145 Club is great for new coaches. Namely that there are several 145 Club groups/leagues. You can read more about the current/active 145 group from Rbthma's blog with the added bonus that Rbthma also gives additional information about joining the 145 Discord server.

Seriously, join the 145 discord server. There's a matchmaking channel on there, which is ANOTHER way to get really good games with like-minded coaches.)
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Ranked is considered more friendly to Noobs to the site because if they want to play you moe than 1 time they can't act like a jerk all game long. Your opponent is more likely to be lenient if you go over your turn time. Maybe give you some tips if you are open to receiving them. Maybe not kill your only player with a skill no purpose (by gang fouling him with 7 assists).

In Ranked, as a Noob, if you are a bit afraid of playing Dorfs or Khemri or something you can skip playing them. If you are looking to get better against Lizards or Necro or Elves or whatever you can turn down all offers except against the type of team you want to face to learn how to beat them.

Box is full of (many very good people) but there are also plenty of antisocial jerks that are abusive and have no goal other than to stomp your team into pixels. Plus even the very nice people there tend to amp it up and go a bit harder in Box. It is a more harsh environment for anyone but especially someone learning the game.

The teams there tend to (sometimes) have more Mighty Blow, Claw, Dirty Player etc because no one can DUCK their team. That is both bad and good depending on how you want to look at it. If you are afraid to play against Dorfs or something there is no way to avoid them.

There are many reasons beyond what I posted for these sentiments. Definitely try the 145 Club. But don't avoid Ranked and Box completely. You will learn from your losses in R and B some tips on how to WIN in 145. And at some point you will graduate beyond 145 in your skill level and be in R and/or B all the time. (And don't forget about League.)
Wreckage

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The main issue is that there just aren't enough coaches and not enough new coaches joining the game to always give a beginner a fair matchup in an open environment. Which remains is the scheduled play such as the 145er league.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

One answer is to get better fast.

Step 1: Hit up the Faculty of Academy Instructors for a couple learning matches.

Step 2: Donate $10 to FUMBBL and send me two match reports (pref over Discord, but FUMBBL PM is okay too). I'll go over them and tell you what I see, with screenshots and everything.

Step 3: Keep playing Ranked, plus the 145 club. Play everybody, but don't let anyone pick on you over and over. See what the good coaches do that you don't. Ask them for tips.

Step 4: After a few months, look for a league. There are many all around the world; most are time-zone dependent, so pick one friendly to the times you're on. Me, I'm in the USA, so I play NCBB. I've also worked my way into the NBFL, but you gotta kinda earn that. NCBB is open to anyone, though we just started a season.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

ranked is a hive of vill.... you know the rest

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:

Box is full of (many very good people) but there are also plenty of antisocial jerks that are abusive and have no goal other than to stomp your team into pixels. Plus even the very nice people there tend to amp it up and go a bit harder in Box. It is a more harsh environment for anyone but especially someone learning the game.

The teams there tend to (sometimes) have more Mighty Blow, Claw, Dirty Player etc because no one can DUCK their team. That is both bad and good depending on how you want to look at it. If you are afraid to play against Dorfs or something there is no way to avoid them.

With the change in PO being removed from the rules there has been an exodus of these types to some extent. At the moment it seems Box is mostly Euro daytime to night time play while Ranked is NA evening and later.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Ranked is 24h, Box goes to bed at midnight server time. Only takes 2 to play Ranked. Box takes 4.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The link Razmus provided is the correct one for the 145(Arktoris, yours isn't!) and I see you've applied. Make sure to get on our discord server (links in my blog) as there's quite a few pinned articles you'll probably want to read. Right now the current tournament is finishing up, but one will start again soon enough - in the meantime, you can play friendlies with some of the coaches in the group.

As far as Ranked being the default "friendly" division - it's that way because both coaches agree to the match, so it's up to you whether you want more or less challenge in them.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 29, 2018 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

...could we have an option to "opt out" from the ranking system?

Rags

Post   Posted: May 30, 2018 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

One approach, not for everyone, is that there's nothing to fear but fear itself, and losing a few BB matches is certainly nothing to fear.

As long as you know the game mechanics/rules, why not just take on all comers in Ranked for a few matches, and see how it goes? You should get a wide variety of teams and play styles, hopefully have fun, and maybe win a few. Experience can be a good teacher, and you can try out whatever you like, see what's working or not. Maybe more importantly, you'll see what plays coaches run against you, and how you like to attack/defend against them.

Disclaimer: this is just me, I lose more than I win, that bothers some more than others, so whatever you're having yourself
 Jump to: