26 coaches online • Server time: 08:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What elf team
High elves
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Dark elves
46%
 46%  [ 29 ]
Wood elves
33%
 33%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 63

Milman

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I could use some tips on what team to choose.
I normaly play more bashy teams but next league i want try something Agi.
its gonna be a league of 10’ish matches.
Could you please give me some pro’s and cons on the 3elf teams?
(Atm mostly leaning to high elves)
And i dont think about going pro elves they are just a squishy’er version of high elves. Right?

Thanks for the advise.
Irgy

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

High elves are the most generic elf experience.

Personally I'm a fan of the dark elves. Whether you like them mostly comes down to whether you like the unusual skills they start with - dump off, stab, shadowing and to some extent jump-up and frenzy are all skills you rarely see on players that don't start with them. A lot of people dislike the assassin, but personally I think as long as you lower your expectations for stab then he opens up quite a lot of plays and options and potential value that you simply can't get any other way. But the most easily overlooked benefit of dark elves is having access to 4 blitzers.

Wood elves are more even more elf than elves and it basically depends whether you want the full on elf experience or not. They're faster but weaker and squishier.
Frylen

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 07:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I enjoy PIE elves as well
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

If you're new to elves then I think the general consensus is that Dark Elves are the easiest. As Irgy said, they have a varied roster, a good deal of starting skills, including the essential Block & Dodge on the players that need them, Frenzy (which is excellent) and 4 (!) blitzers. Bashier but somewhat slower than other elf teams as their runners aren't nearly as good as the Highs or Pros.

Wood Elves are very dangerous too, even if more fragile. IMHO they do require a bit of practice to learn when and how to use the Wardancers properly, but after that they're monsters. They're also the most mobile overall of the 4 elf teams.

High Elves strike a middle ground : great overall stats, but lack of starting skills. Once developed their catchers are very good and act as secondary blitzers. Their main thing is to be able to adapt relatively well to a lot of situations as they can outrun, dodge and even take some punishment if need be. Like humans, but at least they're good at something.

Pro Elves are the goblins of the elves. Their blitzers are excellent and their catchers are very good too but the overall av7 means they're a glass cannon. Extremely aggressive playstyle. Expect to take lots of casualties. Not to everyone's taste.

Edit : didn't see you mentioned a 10 games league. I would say Dark Elves, or alternatively Wood Elves. The other two might struggle for their first games in my opinion.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

My experience has been that I enjoy Helfs the most. Great palette to do just about anything with and the MA8 can be leaned on to get you out of jams and make scoring easier. On the other side of the equation with AV8, they can take a punch slightly better which allows you to protect the catchers well enough until you need to expose them for whatever reason

I found that delves were harder to get a grasp of after playing all the other kinds because of the lack of MA8.

Fwiw, my pro elves are insane and likely my best winning % and won a few 3 round tourneys.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

why is there no elven union (aka pro elves) in the choices you give us?

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

League of 10-ish matches?

Then I'd say not high elves. No elves are bad but they are best at high TV, their strength compared to other elf teams are in high stats which makes them a powerhouse once they develop, but early, skills are more important.

Dark Elves are possibly my favorite Elf team. They are very versatile and can get a lot of Blodge early, due to being the only elf team with 4 Blitzers, and also having up to 2 Witch Elves that start with Dodge. Assassins and Runners are fun but usually not worth it, since their skills are niche and they drag down your average AV. If you start with 4 Blitzers and 7 Linemen you'll be fielding an all-AV 8 elf team, which is very nice. Their weakness compared to the other elf teams is lower Speed and lack of dedicated throwers and catchers, but with AG 4 they can still do elf things as well as play a mean running game, making them a very versatile team.

Wood elves are the fastest elves, even the Linemen are speed 7. But they are also 70k and AV 7 so get used to shunning contact like the plague. They are probably the most powerful elf team -Catchers are scoring machines and Wardancers are just absurd- but need a coach with good elfing instincts to keep them alive since they have no AV 8 at all, except for the Treeman. Speaking of which, do take the Treeman, having him on the line has a measurable effect on your lineman attrition.

Elves are absolutely not just squishier high elves. I thought so too for a while but what looks like minor differences on paper have a big effect in play.

Spesifically, having your Blitzers and Catchers start with extra, very useful skills is huge, Nerves of Steel in particular makes a Pro Elf offense very hard to stop if you can keep your Catchers on the pitch long enough to use them. And having cheaper linemen and throwers makes it much easier, financially, to replace broken players and even keep a bench. Elves of all kinds love having a bench because the number 1 cause of lost games for them is being outnumbered so they have to do overly risky things to score.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves are the strongest out of the box. The stat lines are more or less balanced and if you look at the skills, the typical Woodie starting roster has 2x Block, 3x Dodge, 2x Leap, 1x Catch, 1x Sprint. That's better than any other Elven Roster. So for a 10 match league starting with rookie teams I would say they are the best choice, as they are good from game 1.

Take 2 Wardancers, 1 Catcher, 2 Rerolls. Don't replace Linemen if they get injured, roll with Loners. Buy Apoth first, then Reroll. Make sure to skill a Wardancer in the first match, and the other Wardancer in the second match. Check the opponents you are scheduled against in order to decide what skill to take. Generally Strip Ball is great early on, but if most opponents in the League start out with a Sure Hands player, you might want to go Tackle or even Wrestle instead.

Last edited by Verminardo on %b %01, %2018 - %12:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

HEs are my favourite BB team; however, they are probably the worst elf team as rookies, because they start with the least amount of Block/Dodge out of the box. So yeah, probably Woodies Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
kummo

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

High elves: If you wanna start as maybe the weakest elves and end up being maybe even the strongest ones in the end (or at least as good as darkies and woodies are), pick em.

Dark elves: If you think your defensive positioning can stop opponent (and if you can get surfs in), then this might be your team. One of the darkie game plan is to score on their drive and defend well enough so opponent doesn't or at least that they would have to take risks to score (meaning status quo games should end 1-0 or 2-0 for darkies).

Wood elves: If you play with small risk high reward type of games. Stripball wardancer.. need i say more?

--

Dark elves have always been on my top 2 favorite teams but i think i do much better with high elves. Not sure if it's because nearly every high elf team i have played with has gotten early doubles and statups (like ma9 catchers, mb on blitzer/catcher.. some guard.. some ag5.... crazy rolls).. or if its because i can take advantage of the ma8 better than i can take ground with dark elves.

Around 1500-ish tv dark elves should have 4-6 blodgers, some with more skills like sidestep and tackle. My high elves seem to only have like 2 or 3 blodgers at that point and meeting tackle mb pieces can hurt especially if they also have claw (which in 10-ish game season some chaos team has rolled quite lucky then.. maybe claos mino or yeti with mvp+cas early?) so it isn't as scary in league as it can be in open random matchmaking (ladder).
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I found Pro Elves easier to do well with than Dark Elves. At low TV anyway. Dark Elves are supposed to be bashier but you aren't going to outbash many folks. Of course with 4 Blitzers and ag4 they are like supercharged but more expensive humans, plus with Frenzy Witches thrown in. But unlike Humans the Blitzers need doubles to be effective hitters and guarders.
No doubt that Wood Elves are impressive. They top NAF tournament (usually low Tv resurrection) charts. Though newer players can still be mauled when using them.

Last edited by garyt1 on %b %01, %2018 - %18:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2018 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

PRO

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elves can be developed to play like Dark Elves. The reverse isn't really true. So as TV increases HE end up more interesting IMO.

I found DE really difficult to "get". But starting to play them a bit.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread highly overrates dark elves.

Why you ask? basically becuase DE are HARD. If you're experienced in running a 6 MA drive, understand how to leverage position over oposition ST, and have a good basic knowledge of exploitation of skills (eg. dodge vs no dodge, sidestep vs nothing, when to use dump-off), then DE are absolutely one of the best teams you can use if all the utilities are open to you.

Tje fact is the vast majority of coaches cannot actually use DE to their full stength, and in fact, anyone who's just getting used to BB will find them hellish.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 06:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Wood Elves.

1. You get a tree!
2. 2 ready made guys to leap and go after ball carrier.
3. They are fast.
4. You can play a very strong passing game
5. You can easily score 1-turn TDs (see points 1, 3 and 4).

Basically, they are the best team at just being "elves" and will lead you to learn that style of play. Sure you could go running bash route with Dark Elves, but then again, you could also just pick Dwarves.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: