14 coaches online • Server time: 06:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

10 years ago I played Risk on various websites for a few months, despite having rarely played the board game. There is quite a lot of players out there, with various maps and options on different sites. Fun for a while. But even when you find the good tactics are different than what you would expect when you first play it still gets pretty repetitive.
Before that I played on the itsyourturn website. Stuff like Go and Battleships.
Eons ago I enjoyed Civ 2 and Settlers PC games..
Oh and for occasional play Settlers of Catan is indeed a good board game. There was a game where you had to build different types of power plants which was pretty entertaining for occasional games. Resource type games often work well. Oh and Game of Thrones would be cool if it didn't always seem to be game over after 3 turns when someone makes a big attack. And Ticket to Ride is fun if you want it really simple.
Haven't played Warhammer and all the other GW stuff for years but all great fun if you can invest afternoons/evenings and cash into them.

All by the wayside since finding FUMBBL.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 04:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The power plant thing sounds like Power Grid. Buy oil, nuclear, renewables etc. using game moneys and invest in infrastructure to distribute it.

If were talking board games I sometimes manage to get a group together to invest an entire Sunday into Twilight Imperium. Amazing game, but it easily takes 8 hours to finish.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hearthstone on my phone
Chivite

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Im a big fan of fire emblem games, and other similar games, advance wars, ff tactics...
Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

These days, Stellaris, XCOM2, Battle Brothers, Cultist Simulator.
DarthPhysicist

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

BattleTech is out too I might add...

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Chivite wrote:
Im a big fan of fire emblem games, and other similar games, advance wars, ff tactics...
What's the best aspect of Fire Emblem, gameplay or story? And where is the best place to start?

I was a big fan of the Shining Force (other than that horrid game gear game) series, and to a lesser extent Suikoden, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics. How does it compare?
denthegod

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I play Blood Bowl on my Playstation 4 and I do not play any other turn based strategy games on it. I'm more of a Street Fighter and Grand Theft Auto guy. I bought this game not knowing it is a turn based strategy game and I wound up liking it.... so much so that I actually went to my local board game store and bought the table top version and now I go there once a week to learn stuff and play it. I'm horrible but I find it fun as all hell even when I lose...... which is very surprising as I am probably the biggest sore loser you could ever meet.

The only other board game I play is chess but I didn't even critical think my way into knowing it was considered a board game. I'm slow like that but I am learning and would love to one day learn how to play the actual Warhammer game. Blood Bowl single handedly got me interested in turn based strategy games and I am glad I bought the PS4 version.
Joe1982

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Since GW and warhammer has been mentioned, has anyone any experience of the new rules fantasy game? I haven't played coz time and all, but mainly because it looks bad, but have a 5000 point daemon army so would welcome any reviews. Just blood bowl and warhammer fantasy rp for me at present.[/list]
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2018 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Axis and Allies
almic85

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend down the rpg route with games like Arcanum and Baldurs Gate, but turn based is fun.

Xbox based:
X-Com 1 and 2
Bloodbowl 2
Magic (whichever one was last out)
Mordheim
Will pick up Necromunda when it is eventually released.

Web based (PC/Phone)
Diplomacy (on playdiplomacy.com)
Neptune’s Pride (though not really turn based)

Phone:
Warhammer Quest

Table top games:
Bloodbowl
Necromunda (N17 and NCE)
Shadow war armegeddon
Batman miniature game
Frostgrave

Board games (you name it I have probably played it):
Small world (good 1-2 hour game)
Risk (whole afternoon for the short game)
Game of thrones (whole afternoon)
Splendour (good 30-60 minute game)
Big book of madness
Pandemic
The list goes on

If you're interested join the Fringe
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playin a bit of Shadowrun. I love Front Mission on SNES.

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

TT:
Catan
T2Ride
Memoir ‘44
Colt Express
Blood Bowl (Well it’s been a while (3rd Ed w/ DZ) but I have the stuff)
Tripoly
Poker

Explored many others but those are the ones that had replay value for one reason or another (and will continue to explore *looks for reccomendations*)

Video (non-board game adaptations):

Metal Marines for SNES is pretty good
Chivite

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
Chivite wrote:
What's the best aspect of Fire Emblem, gameplay or story? And where is the best place to start?

I was a big fan of the Shining Force (other than that horrid game gear game) series, and to a lesser extent Suikoden, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics. How does it compare?

I really like both, it plays very similar to fantasy tactics, and i have not played shining force, so i cant compare. The story is alright, but it wont blow your mind, it has some quirky dialogues and some twists, but nothing breathtaking. The gameplay is punishing, as in, if a character dies, he is gone for good, most likely you will end up restarting that mission because of one death.

What devices do you have to play them games? If you dont own many nintendo systems you can download a gba emulator on your phone and play the sacred stones there. Gba emulators on phones are meh most of the time, but on turn based games they are great as there is no need for good reflexes and console responses
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 03, 2018 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Chivite wrote:
and i have not played shining force, so i cant compare.
Shining Force is a good little turn based strategy RPG. It's similar to FFT in it's combat. The story is a bit formulaic, and dated, but it still holds as one of the best Genesis (though it gets muddy once we add in the Sega CD) RPGs behind the Phantasy Star series. From what I've seen and heard about Fire Emblem, it's a very similar type of game, though character deaths in Shining Force are much more forgiving. You might check it out.

Chivite wrote:
What devices do you have to play them games?
Currently, I have a Sega Saturn, a 3DS, and 2 PS4s (what ever happened to local co-op. Why do I need to play all my co-op online now. Seriously, we have 2 PS4s so that my girlfriend and I can play multiplayer games).

As far as Emulators go, you name it, my Desktop can play it. I've been emulating since the 90s, and have a workable solution for almost any system.
 Jump to: