49 coaches online • Server time: 17:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jorj

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

In your opinion what is the best team for defensive play passive or active and why?
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

lizardmen, orcs, and dark elfs.

Lizardmen and orcs have the ST to tie most teams down, and the mobility to reposition easily. Dark Elfs, have the agility to reposition with ease, the most block coverage of any elf team and av8 which isnt too shabby.

probs dwarfs too, because their skill coverage and access, and av9

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this might sound strange, but what do you call defense? Defense can fulfill its purpose in many ways in supporting a winning strategy.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, a 2200K+ very well coached Vampire team is a hell of a defensive team ! It thrives on short kicks and lightning defensive drives. Sure, it's not for everyone, but if you happen to have a good fit with the team and the patience to build it up to the stratosphere, your opponents will hate you more than almost any other team...

They can be on a even foot with lizardmen and dark elves... mixing strength, agility and stellar defensive skills access. Granted though, they are a savage horse to tame.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

mrbibitte3 wrote:
but if you happen to have a good fit with the team and the patience to build it up to the stratosphere, your opponents will hate you more than almost any other team...

Not just a matter of patience. Vampires get crippled or die quite often before reaching TV 2200+ in the Box, but I guess you were referring to Ranked Farmland.
gpope

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Well, this might sound strange, but what do you call defense? Defense can fulfill its purpose in many ways in supporting a winning strategy.

Yeah, for example dorfs or nurgle are pretty formidable at stopping enemy drives but not so good at converting that into a touchdown of their own. More aggressive teams like lizards or delfs might give up a few more points, but will win more games because they're scoring on their own kicks. So who is better at defense?
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got relevant data for these recent team ranking questions.. really need to dig it out and publish
jorj

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Passive defense is preventing a team from scoring and active defense is steeling the balll. I am more interested in your opinion on low to mid range TV. Thanks for your input. I have ideas but I am wondering what the community thinks.
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Not just a matter of patience. Vampires get crippled or die quite often before reaching TV 2200+ in the Box, but I guess you were referring to Ranked Farmland.

I don' t know much about Ranked or Box, but your argument is certainly relevant.

I was referring to a league environment. It can be favorable to a Vampire team's development as it's an environment usually not exclusively based on casualties. A balanced diet of opponents can generate interesting XPs while avoiding enough attrition to develop.

Against the league's well-coached Tacles, Claws & Mighty Blows, Vampires can combo an apothecary with regeneration, helping to keep XPs on the most valuable blood suckers. Vampires are far from immortals, but at Blood Bowl, it's as close as it can get. Only trolls can do better with their armour of 9, but apothecaries often claim not to be veterinaries and instead prefer to look after their teammates.

Once the 5th Vampire hired, the team is getting pretty solid as a group and harder to CAS even for a violent team. If all stars are well aligned, they skyrocket to 2200K+ where they can hire their 6th Vampire and become one of the best defensive teams... provided the coach knows what he's doing.

Because if he doesn't... well... chances are his team will crumble before even getting to 6 Vampires anyway.
Mattius

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
mrbibitte3 wrote:
but if you happen to have a good fit with the team and the patience to build it up to the stratosphere, your opponents will hate you more than almost any other team...

There are quite a few decent vamp teams in the box including the one that had the best player ever! But for certain it's a lot harder.

Vamps and Slann are both excellent defensive teams as well as pro elves. Certainly they can defend in a more fun and interesting way than most teams.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Mattius wrote:
MattDakka wrote:
mrbibitte3 wrote:

There are quite a few decent vamp teams in the box including the one that had the best player ever! But for certain it's a lot harder.

Vamps and Slann are both excellent defensive teams as well as pro elves. Certainly they can defend in a more fun and interesting way than most teams.

Dakka doesn't know what exists outside of himself.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven can be a nightmare on defense, especially once they get some +AG or Leap on some gutters, and can make cages meaningless. Skaven are one of the best defensive races, because they can in the same turn steal the ball, and score, on a regular basis. Good skaven coaches rarely ever lose, and against one, your best hope is usually a tie.
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Antithesisoftime wrote:
Skaven can be a nightmare on defense, especially once they get some +AG or Leap on some gutters, and can make cages meaningless. Skaven are one of the best defensive races, because they can in the same turn steal the ball, and score, on a regular basis. Good skaven coaches rarely ever lose, and against one, your best hope is usually a tie.

not if you can smash the rats out, all it takes is a good pow, that happens quite often and is sill 1/3 of the rolls with Tackle. Guardspam!

Zirgantz

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

In my (rather limited) experience, Lizardmen are one of the best possible teams when it comes to stopping a touchdown. The Saurus can handle pretty much everything that tries to punch their way through, and if that isn't enough then the Skinks can reposition easily and quickly catch up with any attempt to outrun the Saurus. Stunty also means that side cages are generally a bad idea against Lizards. Also, Skinks are fast enough to counterscore if the team manages to steal the ball. Oh and on a side note, Ag4 Skinks are one of the best things that can happen to the team.

They don't have expendable players, though, so even a small amount of casualties can cripple their defense.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2018 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

more info to follow, but the team which conceeds the least touchdowns against, is amazons

then khemri, lizards, CDs, undead, necro

Sp00keh wrote:
I've got relevant data for these recent team ranking questions.. really need to dig it out and publish

here:
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=30066
 Jump to: