26 coaches online • Server time: 08:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
noxnoctum

Post 22 Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

When trying to stall that is. If I'm against a squishier team I can just go for causing as much damage as possible while keeping the ball safe but if I'm against a sturdier team I'm less sure. If I go for an early push I might be forced to score early but if I hang back I might suffer losses and then have difficulty making a push and scoring at all.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience, a large portion of good elf stalls happen near-ish the opponents endzone.

Sometimes it is very hard to get down there without first sending a lone player downfield all by himself as a scoring threat. If the enemy drops back two players to hit that one player, this allows you a chance to break through his line and get the team closer to scoring.. and stalling.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

They should eat pie.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Since DEs all have similar movement (6-7 MA), it's best to think of each and every player as a potential scoring threat. Thus when you face stronger teams, you want to get them to commit over half their defense to one side or the other (top or bottom from our view), then use your dodging+mobility to reverse the attack to the less-protected side.

This will be more difficult at different TVs, depending on the opponents' skills (tackle, tents, DT, etc), but you are not limited like many races in having the ball being carried by a specific player, with occasional emergency pickups by nearby blitzers. You could of course develop a DE runner as a ball carrier with potential 'option football' via dumpoff, but the ball doesn't have to stay in his hands.

Instead, when you make your way downfield and reverse to the opposite side, if you've out-flanked the opposition, try handing off or short-passing to an open player and making a break for it. You should be able to score in 4-5 turns this way, giving the opposition an uncomfortable amount of time left, while still giving you enough time to potentially capitalize on a turnover.

Don't drop the soap.
tussock

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 05:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Take +MA. Solves a lot of DE problems.
Take +AG. Solve most of the rest of them.
Take +ST, put Guard on them, and blodgestep. Now you're just cheating.

Rookie teams? Against bash? Yeah, pows help, roll pows, lots of pows.

Dodging is for Witches. Always start with a Witch, so you can still score when it's not gone well. Dodge is plan B though, plan A is rolling pows.

Do not pass the ball. Do not use Dump Off. I mean you will, a bit, some days, but don't try to.

And get bigger. Get much, much bigger. They get much better with just regular skills, fantastic with a few stats, and are a really hard to beat with a few stats and dubs, while they last, which they don't for long because AV 8 and some days there are no pows.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 07:03 Reply with quote Back to top

You have the right idea, you can sort of mill around at mid field for a few turns if the blocks are not killing you and if your opponent is otherwise making it ugly to get a break through that you can then screen/stall on his side.

Once you either start losing players or hit turn 5 it's time to seriously think about how you are going to attempt your score. Of course a lot depends on how solid your opponent is with his defensive positioning, but the goal is often to try to force them into an overcommit, or at least an 'undercommit'. Then you are often at the mercy of needing to make a handoff (pass is worst case scenario) and a dodge or two to secure an advance on the weak side.

From there it's usually a question of whether you can afford to stall to turn 8 or need to just score turn 7 and defend a 2 turn attempt.

Of course that's sort of worst case scenario (other than clear nufflings where you simply are down a lot of players), best case scenario is that you can out position your opponent and make a very solid break to the weak side without hand off or (many) dodges and make a 2-3 turn score from turn 5/6 while just maintaining a solid screen.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally its best to try and score in t5 or 6 anyway so you get a decent chance at 2-0 for the half, so I wouldn't dawdle too much.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Knit some socks?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Generally its best to try and score in t5 or 6 anyway so you get a decent chance at 2-0 for the half, so I wouldn't dawdle too much.

No it isn't.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen elf teams have some success when they receive at the start of a half against bashers by completely disengaging and withdrawing into their own half for 3-4 turns. It puts the bash team in a tricky situation: do they wait in their own half and let those valuable turns slip by, where they are not hitting your players and not forcing you to make dodge rolls (therefore no chance of snakes for you), or do they chase you into your half, where they are at risk of over-committing and leaving more space behind their line for you to exploit?

Maybe give it a try? Note that you'd probably want a fairly full team for this - perhaps a better tactic to use if you receive in the first half.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Sitzkrieg can be very effective but you don't want to do it when you receive and you're not ahead on touchdowns. Then, the opponent can just sit tight and wait for their own half - this is "your" half that's going by.

On the other hand, if you're already up a point, or if it's the second half and the score is tied or better, they have to come to you.
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
uzkulak wrote:

No it isn't.

But yes it is though.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

No it isn't.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

morehouse wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:
uzkulak wrote:

No it isn't.

But yes it is though.

This conversation is now drivel. Use your words boys.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2018 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

ArthurWynne wrote:
Sitzkrieg can be very effective but you don't want to do it when you receive and you're not ahead on touchdowns. Then, the opponent can just sit tight and wait for their own half - this is "your" half that's going by.

I disagree. It can be highly effective for elves when they receive at the start of the first. Reason: scoring with elves in 2-3 turns is often easier than stalling out a drive until turn 6 or 7. This is because the longer the elves 'ponce about' with the ball, the higher the risk they will roll a nasty snake or take injuries. So, often, 8 turns to score a TD is way more than they want or need. 'burning' 3-4 turns with essentially zero risk can suit their clock-control game plan very well.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
 Jump to: