51 coaches online • Server time: 15:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

To me, the ideal place to play games against coaches you enjoy playing against is Ranked. I throw a few games towards my NBFL league mates every so often because theyre on at the same time and theyre fun conversation and insight. Its more of a social thing than needing to scratch that itch. I am really...apprehensive...towards playing unknowns or unfamiliars in Ranked because of the social aspect.

Yeah, agreed. I don't really see R as a competitive division and I like to try out fun builds/teams there and have a good chat with coaches I know as well.
Albemouff

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

To me, the ideal place to play games against coaches you enjoy playing against is Ranked. I throw a few games towards my NBFL league mates every so often because theyre on at the same time and theyre fun conversation and insight. Its more of a social thing than needing to scratch that itch. I am really...apprehensive...towards playing unknowns or unfamiliars in Ranked because of the social aspect.

Yeah, agreed. I don't really see R as a competitive division and I like to try out fun builds/teams there and have a good chat with coaches I know as well.

That's my man ! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok pour blackbox... Maybe it's better!

Thanks for you advice
PeteW

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohwatch wrote:

Thanks for you advice

Also, if you submit a support ticket (through the help menu) then you can ask the nice admins to cancel those games you have stuck against opponents who are gone. Then your teams get freed up.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2018 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohwatch wrote:

Thanks for you advice

The toughest part of switching to any division is you don't have all your teams built up and where you want them. It's why playing Ranked has been so hard for me - my teams there are simply lackluster compared to the Box teams which means I defer to usually playing the Box teams if given the option.
lemf

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Gridfilling does involve a lot of waiting for the right match ups. TV or coach ratings has little to do with it, its all about the races. Sure is easy to get a game against dorfs with my flings. I become a massive picker for a match when looking to play flings with my dorfs and most other races tbh. Hence me hanging in gamefinder for so long Very Happy
razmus

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are trying to complete a grid, it might be worth asking for a match in Discord or on the forums. (Probably doesn't hurt to try... at least that gives you a chance to explain why you want a particular match.)
hissa-lives

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Given the amount of posts on discord, it’s sometimes easier to just get on game finder to grid fill.
Or blog and hope to get good time matchups. Mostly use game finder though
Kaze

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play coaches with terrible records and CRs, then how will your CR ever get higher?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

There's more than one way to end up playing bad coaches. I mean, some coaches don't really cherrypick, but have reputations such that most (not all, but most) coaches in the know aren't thrilled with the prospect of playing them in an unscheduled game. So they run into a lot of new coaches who don't know any better, thinking they're just lemonpickers. They run these new coaches over, of course, and the new coach quickly comes to see FUMBBL as a shark tank, even without being purposely preyed upon. Making this worse, Rookies appear as Emerging Stars in Gamefinder.

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Already a timeout system, Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to add to what has already been said about the issues of Ranked, I think that the fact you cannot choose your opponents in public matchmaking is maybe the one thing BB1 & BB2 do truly right. I discovered Blood Bowl via BB1, and then played on BB2 for some years before discovering FUMBBL, and I almost immediately went to play in the Box. Not only because I was already used to (+/-) random matchmaking, but because I came to realise that in a game where such one-sided matches as, say, dwarves vs amazons, or dwarves vs goblins, or (developed) chaos vs dwarves, can happen, not having a say in who your opponent will be is the best way to ensure it doesn't turn into a sophisticated rock/paper/scissors.

Which tends to happen sometimes in Ranked, for various reasons, and also because people are people and nobody in their right mind would ever think "why yes I would like to spend 1h30 playing against Chaos Dwarves" unless they intend to play a team specifically tailored for that situation - which brings us back to the rock/paper/scissors issue.

At the very least, I know I would think this way, which is why I play (almost, leagues notwithstanding) exclusively in the Box now, and I would highly doubt anyone claiming that this mindset isn't running rampant in Ranked.

Praise Nuffle & Christer for the Box.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, what I've learned is that in Ranked, unless you have a legend tag or a reputation, you get the games you "pick" for. If you just pick by TV, you'll get a good mix of games that are close in TV. If you pick for easy matchups, that's what you'll get. BUT, if you pick for a good game and some variety, you'll get that. At some point, you get to the point where others' attitudes toward you start to influence the mix of coaches you find online, for better or for worse (or both). But it takes a long time and/or an unusually high or low skill level before that happens.

Post   Posted: Jul 10, 2018 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Meh, what I've learned is that in Ranked, unless you have a legend tag or a reputation, you get the games you "pick" for. If you just pick by TV, you'll get a good mix of games that are close in TV. If you pick for easy matchups, that's what you'll get. BUT, if you pick for a good game and some variety, you'll get that. At some point, you get to the point where others' attitudes toward you start to influence the mix of coaches you find online, for better or for worse (or both). But it takes a long time and/or an unusually high or low skill level before that happens.

There's definitely a self selecting/sorting mechanism in Ranked where reputation figures in at some point. Which drives me bonkers because I don't know if I'm getting passed over because of my reputation or what Wink
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2018 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Really. I feel like there are several factors in why I only get certain kinds of games (the hour I play at is the big one), but I don't know which one(s) is/are coming into play any given time Gamefinder is crowded but I can't find a good matchup.