28 coaches online • Server time: 08:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tricktickler

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 02:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Varag Ghoul-Chewer is a Blitzer with +ST, not a Black Orc with +MA, +MA, +AG (since the simplest explanation is the best one).

Yet his icon is a modified Black Orc icon instead of a modified Blitzer icon. This makes things a bit confusing when he is on the field. It's easy to think he's a Black Orc or some Black Orc Star Player with MA4 when he is a MA6 Blitzer Star Player.

In Vampire mirror matches it's not possible to see which team gazed Thralls belong to.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

He does look kind of Black Orcish in the actual miniatures. And S4 perhaps deserves a size increase. But a fair point.

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2018 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

His card says "Orc Blitzer"
http://www.bbgridiron.com/nafStarPlayerCards/varag.jpg
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

A difference from before is that icons' size is related to their strength. e.g. ST1 icons have to be of a certain height.

As he was ST4 this is probably why a BOB icon was chosen as the base (and actually that does ring a bell). For look I think I preferred the old ones style. However for quality Whatball took the BOB a stage further than NK. Furthermore I have heard mention that Varag actually is a Black Orc.

You could change it I guess, but is there anybody that could do as good a job at making icons as Whatball.......simple answer is no. He is the best icon maker we have had and very few can match him in technique.

As for the thrall, I'm not aware of the problem. Is this with the latest version of the client? In which case the client changes the colour of gazed players?
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
In which case the client changes the colour of gazed players?

The gazed eye covers too much of the players.

If the client supports it, having RED eyes and BLUE eyes corresponding to team colours would fix it.

(comparison image by ramchop)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm is it an issue? I mean gazing is a fairly focal action, so do coaches remember? It would be a shame to lose the retro brown helmets. A wider stripe would work. However probably team boot colour would be the way to go.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Or in the long run change the gaze icon so that some of it is transparent.
dolphinandrew

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
A difference from before is that icons' size is related to their strength. e.g. ST1 icons have to be of a certain height.

I always liked the theory that all Greenskins are actually one species, they just change a lot as they grow stronger.

I.e.

Weak Orcs are Snotlings.

Slightly stronger - goblins.

Then Orcs.

Then stronger Orcs are Black Orcs.

So Varag was an Orc, now he is/is becoming a Black Orc.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Well there are different theories or to be precise different eras of looking at it. Originally they were uruk hai. Warhammer was essentially a way to use your citadel and lotr licenced models.

2nd edition warhammer didnt reference them. This is pre 88. Alarmingly fantasy role play has some really way out there fluff. Black orcs was not only selective breeding but also cannabilism of the weak (a nod to uruk hai probably). This lead to bigger, stronger orcs but on the downside a gradual loss of intelligence.

Curiously 3rd ed 1988 there is no mention. Possibly as the bob olley range didnt really fit and the old figures were hard based. 2nd edition blood bowl did not have black orcs.

With the release of the armies book in 1989 there is a large section on them. Here it is stated they live seperate and are a seperate race. Living in a harsher environment means they have evolved as a harsher race. They also play on the cannabilism aspect. Hunting and eating other goblinoids. This is upto 1994ish

After this black orcs take another massive swing in fluff but another nod to uruk hai. For 4th edition big hat chaos dwarfs were introduced. Their land bordered goblinoids lands. The chaos dwarfs were few in number and augemented their armies and slaves with orcs. Unsatisfied with a common orcs they set about breeding a super orcs (very uruk hai). And that was the black orcs. Unfortunately for chaos dwarfs the black orcs rebelled and battled their way to the dark lands (gladiator style) many became orcs chieftans which plays down the frp fluff. Our figure range is of this era.

By 6th 7th edition (late 90S/nortys) black orcs are described as a specific sub specials. Due to their strength they generally make warbosses or chieftans. They usually have the best gear.

This also fits well with 40k goffs where 40k has a lot of interesting ork fluff.

In the age of sigmar a star wars gamorrean guard raped a space marine and was so disgusted dropped the baby on planet BB. E.g. Who the **** cares about the current crap.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Red and blue for the Gazed Eye icon seems to me the best solution.
 Jump to: