75 coaches online • Server time: 21:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Who else thinks that draw matches are boring?
I suggest that you implement to go to overtime in ranked/blacbox/league games if both players agree.

It would look like this: if both players agree that they want an Overtime before the game starts, OT is activated. If one disagrees, the game starts normally and ends in a draw, win or loss.

OR: at the end of turn 16, a window appears - do you want to go to Overtime? -> if both players agree, OT is activated

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
Rags

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 11:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Respectfully disagree. While draws can be frustrating, overtime being reserved for tournaments makes it an exciting treat.

Also, OT is often decided on toss of coin (whoever receives wins, or if goes to shootout on roll of dice), so would impact strategies. Similar dynamic could be seen in recent (football/soccer) World Cup. Weaker sides e.g. Russia played for a draw, then hoped for best on penalties, where their odds shortened considerably. This how they KOed Spain, a far stronger side.

I understand you're not suggesting that draw after OT should necessarily go to shoot out, but still think the receiving advantage would impact results a good deal.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, I understand, good point. Any other opinions Smile ?

razmus

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

You need to add a poll. "Are Draw games boring enough that OT should be an option in 'normal' games?" "Yes", "No", "Who cares as long as there's enough pie"

Just to add data: were it an option, I'll almost always select 'No overtime'.
As Rags says, having it reserved for tournaments or for specific leagues is, I think, sufficient.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

@razmus: would the poll have any effect on implementing such an option or is that pretty unlikely?

koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

lawofthewest wrote:
@razmus: would the poll have any effect on implementing such an option or is that pretty unlikely?

Pretty unlikely. Depending on what the poll results.

The idea seems more trouble than it is worth.

Though adding a poll won't cost you anything.

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

No. Games last about an hour, I wouldn't want to extend it any more. It's hard enough to find time as it is. I also wouldn't want people moaning at me if I don't select overtime 'yes'.

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Draws can be frustrating if you got the better of the match. Particularly if you have more players near the end. But on the other hand scraping a draw can be a great thing! No overtime in Box or Ranked for me.

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2018 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I must disagree with you, it is a reserved thing for tournaments if they choose.If you want a overtime division, try making a ruleset

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

A draw is like kissing your sister. Sure you can do it and at times it may even be appropriate, but neither of you should ever get anything out of it.

Having said that, I have come around to accepting that normal games should be over at the end of T16.
 Jump to: