22 coaches online • Server time: 03:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like to see famous teams participate in Majors?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Only the Greenfield Grasshuggers, if they bring a pie.
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 25

DrDeath

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I just had an idea for the FUMBBL Major tournaments which might be fun, and could boost participation. We already have star players available on here, so how about the star teams? Many of the famous team rosters have been published recently, so they could be used. This might work well for the following reasons:

1) Majors these days are beginning to get dominated by very big teams. Of course that’s fun in a way, but it may exclude new players, part-timers or those coaches who just have a bit of bad luck with their main team/s before the application date. The star team rosters are c. 2000 to 2100 so would form an entry point for these coaches and help Major participation climb again;

2) It would add prestige to the Majors (which could again increase participation). Could the Chaos All Stars win a Major? The Lowdown Rats a Forlorn Qualifier in GLT (Nuffle forbid Smile)?

3) It could raise funds for FUMBBL if coaches are encouraged to make an optional donation for a star team (which could be anything from 1p to riches, so we don’t exclude anyone on basis of how rich they are. This would be to thank the admins for their time);

4) Most of all, it would be fun! Coaches could take control of a famous team for a tourney and see how far they can get. It would also be fun for other coaches too – ever wondered how your team would fare against the Chaos All Stars? The Orcland Raiders? Celestial Comets? Enter a Major.

5) It would certainly not break game balance. Let’s face it these teams have some good players, but also one or two with suspect skill choices! I’d see them as slightly weaker than many of the top tourney sides currently playing with roughly equivalent TV. However they would be playable.

How it is implemented would be up to Christer and the Admins of course, but I’d envisage something like this:

1) 10 days before the Major deadline, all coaches who wish to enter a famous team contact the admin and name the team they wish to use. Coaches are encouraged to make a donation at this point, although it need not be mandatory, or could be nominal e.g. 1 penny or cent;
2) Admins look at the entries over the next week. Where several coaches have requested the same team, they randomly determine who gets it (regardless of donation amount). Coaches who get a famous team have this temporarily created on their account. I would further suggest those teams that have a perk similar to a card have c. 50k deducted from their value as this obviously won’t be enabled on the client;
3) Coaches are informed of who gets what team. Coaches who did not get a team are informed of this 3 days before the main draw, so they can still enter one of their normal teams if they wish;
4) Players with a famous team play through the tournament as normal – i.e. players can die or be injured, and in future rounds they can skill-up, coaches can buy new players, coaching staff etc.;
5) At the end of the tournament the team is removed from the coach's team page. The team is reset to it’s ‘vanilla’ values for the next one.

What do you reckon?
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Great idea!

But it is an old, old idea.

Hardcore team pimpers would lose their advantage.

I don't think that Majors are meant to be opened up to the greatest number of coaches. I think that apart from the Fumbbl Cup they restrict the number of entrants anyway.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds fun but it looks to me that it belongs to [L] rather than majors.

Where could i find these rosters? I am curious... 😉
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it's a fairly obvious idea, but I haven't seen it on the forums before? I take your point about restricted number of entrants Koadah, but the fact is Majors often don't fill all their spaces now - look at the GLT, loads of fillers in Round 1 this year. And even when they have in previous tourneys, Round 1 has often been expanded to take as many coaches as possible - the more the merrier?

I don't really understand the point about 'hardcore team pimpers losing their advantage' - if anything they would have slightly more of an advantage because the famous teams have slightly suspect builds - a few players with bloaty or pointless skills.

Sonrises - the famous teams lineups are now being released. I just got the Blood Bowl Almanac and the first two Spike magazines, these alreay give team rosters for the Chaos Allstars, Bright Crusaders, Orcland Raiders, Warpfire Wanderers, Greenboyz, Grudge Bearers, Celestial Comets, Underworld Creepers, Naggoroth Nightwings and Doom Lords. There may be others in the original rulebook (I didn't bother to get that, too similar to previous version! Would the Reavers and Gouged Eye be in there?), and more will certainly be released in future Spike magazines. They are there to be used, like Star Players, so it could be a fun option? Good idea on the League option though that would make a good one!
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

What if I don't have a penny??? Good Idea, I would like that but for example a ruleset will sway better for that stuff

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

This would stay in League as far as I see it.

I appreciate the time taken to write the post and I actually quite like the idea (for league).

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDeath wrote:

I don't really understand the point about 'hardcore team pimpers losing their advantage' - if anything they would have slightly more of an advantage because the famous teams have slightly suspect builds - a few players with bloaty or pointless skills.

Ah, OK. I haven't seen the rosters.

But if the teams are not very competitive them I'mm not sure how much difference they'd make. Especially if there is only one version of each team.

The old idea was house teams that coaches could take off the peg and join a tournament.

It sounds like a lot of fun for [L]eague though. If anyone (Adam?) has already done the rosters, let us know where they are.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I strongly reject the idea to allow any teams in Major tournaments who have not taken the long road of team building.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
I strongly reject the idea to allow any teams in Major tournaments who have not taken the long road of team building.

Team pimper Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Good call!

Here's another idea, that might even help with Dominik's objection. How it about it being an additional prize XFL winners? Whoever is a given race's XFL champion would be given the option of coaching a famous team in a major e.g. Orc XFL winner gets offered job of coaching Orcland raiders. If they don't want it, offer passes to runner up and so on down the chain.

Of course I am not admin, so I don't know how much work this would be and if feasible, but just a thought.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2018 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Could you share team rosters in here please? I dont have almanac unfortunatelly... Still curious about these teams Smile
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik you are quite right to say that coaches who haven't put in time and effort to build a big team shouldn't get a good team for free. But they wouldn't. This isn't about meta gaming, just fluff and fun. Anyone who enters one of these teams will have a tougher challenge because they aren't built optimally. For example to pick one, the Doom Lords have one beastman with skills of sure feet and sprint, another just has disturbing presence... They are not optimal builds, so conventional teams should have the advantage. Don't think I'd even bother entering one myself actually, just thought it would be fun and add something to tournaments.

Sonrises there are quite a few teams but can maybe post one or two another night if you're interested. I'd recommend the Almanac - basically Death Zones 1 and 2 with some nice extra stuff, and the Spikes exceeded my expectations too. Mind you I believe the latter were partly written by experienced coaches active in Fumbbl and NAF - e.g. Geggster and Joemanji.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2018 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Dominik and dislike it.

Either the teams are bad, then noone will use them. Or they are good and everybody will complain. I cannot see it working either way.
I also do not see a need for majors to be more incusive for non-powergamers. The majors are defined as the playground for the best - Teams and coaches. Adventurers and cannon-fodder can still apply, and they will have great fun but should not get very far nor expect to. I mean if I started playing tennis today, I wouldn't expect to get very far in next year's Wimbledon.

The only thing I can see is going along the lines of what Rags said.
You could use the Starteams for the XFL-masters. Invite the XFL-winning coaches but let them play with the Starteam of their race. The teams in the XFL masters are not the teams that won the relevant minors anyway and the XFL is not a real major tourney either, so no harm done. And while that would probably be a pain for some races it might indeed be funny.
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2018 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok well it looks like the community has spoken and it wasn't such a good idea then Smile The Majors on here are indeed great, I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Thanks for the suggestions though folks, I do like the ideas of using them as a temporary prize within the XFLs, and for League play. A famous teams league could be a lot of fun. I've never set up a league before - would it be possible to completely engineer these teams according to their published rosters, rather than at 1000 TV with the name only?
sonrises

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2018 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. It is possible to make custom rosters in League. I could give you tech assistance if you seriously considering launching such a league.
 Jump to: