28 coaches online • Server time: 11:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jimrod

Post 23 Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys,

I've been back playing for a couple of weeks now, after over 10 years of not playing, been trying to relearn the tactics and get up to date with the changes (still failed to buy inducements twice despite thinking I had!).

I think I've had a pretty bad run of luck, many double skulls, deaths and niggles of star players with a single GFI roll of course but I know this is personal perception and largely due to bad play on my part I'm sure. But overall it certainly feels like 75%+ of my games that Nuffle has had it in for me, I recall two where I've felt that I've had good luck and opponent bad (out of nearly 50 games).

So, I made a new team, a fresh start! I get a match, another new team - great! I'm trying Chaos Renegades with 3 big guys, human linemen, an elf and a goblin. Opponent is Chaos Chosen.

I'm receiving kick off and manage to pick up the ball with the elf, this is going well! My first attack is with my Troll - double skull, reroll, double skull. Oh, that's my luck over for this game. In turn two my ogre is killed by a single dice attack from an unskilled beastman lineman, the Apothocary result: Killed/Killed. After two turns I've already resigned to losing this one. My elf then attempts his first ever dodge and is badly hurt needing a 2. I lose the game 2-0 with 4 players remaining. Team is retired after one game, I'm now thinking about personally retiring from the game too!

So is this the norm? Should I always expect this? It's supposed to be random right? Very Happy I know it's basically a moan topic but I'm just finding it hard to keep enthusiasm at the moment. More of a vent post than anything. I know people say the luck will change, I keep thinking that too... Hmm.

Thanks for the games to those that I've played!
Calthor

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Individually, some games can be unlucky. However, over the course of more and more games, 'luck' as a factor ceases to exist.

You are saying 'My first attack is with my Troll - double skull, reroll, double skull.' and I would agree, starting with quadruple skulls is a bad way to start.

However...

In general, you probably don't want to do your first block with a nega-trait big guy, which makes me suspect that a good part of your perceived 'bad run of luck' is something that can indeed be partially avoided.

Bad luck in individual games? Sure. Continuous serious bad luck to the extent that Nuffle has it in for you more than he has it in for all of us, over the span of 50+ games? Extremely unlikely.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice rant! Very Happy

Of course you have been unlucky with the double skulls and the kill/kill. Playing a 3 BG team is most inviting to this kind of stuff though. And yes, luck will change. Smile

There was also some good luck, like your Troll blocking in the first place. As you gave him no assist, he needed a 4+ for that. And he didnt reroll the skulls, he failed the loner roll before that, which is 4+ too. Razz

In my experience, a game gone bad by turn 2 comes around more often than you would think if you give nuffle the opportunity to jump in.
But it will go from bad to worse 100% if this is your attitude:

Jimrod wrote:
After two turns I've already resigned to losing this one.

Try a more reliable tier 1 race and results will be less random. Wink
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in a similar boat... been away for a long time and have some games that have been absolutely crueled by some bad luck... but then you get moments of freak madness that and all is forgiven. I also have been playing alot of Pact and Ogres (sorry, don't use the term Renegades) so I guess I cant say my game results are unexpected.
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It's part bad luck, and part perception.

I'm not gonna deny you had some major bad luck in the game you mention. An apo fail always sucks.

However, it's not quite as bad as you remember it. The troll didn't reroll his double skulls into double skulls, he failed his loner roll. That's an important difference.

Same with the elf. He made his very first dodge, which was a 3+ one. And then, typically, got BH on the easier 2+ dodge. Silly elves.

And his goblin buddy made 3 dodges right before he did...

Once again, not saying you weren't unlucky, 'cause you definitely were. Just saying you're stuck in a negative mindset that's probably colouring your perception and your choices on the field. It happens to a lot, if not all, of us.

Not quite sure where I am going with this, though... just keep trucking, I guess? Try to take a step back, look at your games from your opponent's perspective and try to piggy-back on his happiness with your misfortune. Thingie.

I definitely enjoyed the game we played and hope to see you again on the field. And not just 'cause I enjoy playing against unlucky, rusty coaches. Wink
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry I replied to the first post and the reply disappeared, I'm not having much luck at any of this. Very Happy

I think the bad attitude (as stated by Rawlf) comes from my recent experiences, I think it was Thursday or Friday I played 3 or 4 games where everything just went against me. But I'm not naturally negative, just get a bit worn down when it's like that! Very Happy

I lost a game yesterday but felt I actually had the best of it (one of my few lucky games, in my perception) - I was playing a far higher weighted team and I'd even managed to somehow not purchase the werewolf star at the inducement phase, the second time I thought I'd purchased a player but not, I must be missing something. But certainly the first half I was smashing his team, as the game wore on my 11 players and lack of depth caught up to me but I take the blame for losing, I certainly had the chance to at least draw.

I was still learning about all the bonehead, Wild animal stuff etc so had left my Troll on his own - I thought the double skull reroll was just that because of how it displayed, I hadn't read the text to see it was a failed bonehead, my bad. Smile

Anyway, I'll keep trying, just wanted a nice fresh start this morning and thought FFS as that game went on. Smile
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Bendrig wrote:
I definitely enjoyed the game we played and hope to see you again on the field. And not just 'cause I enjoy playing against unlucky, rusty coaches. Wink

Ahh yes, was a violent game, you killed Barry Wight! Very Happy But was fun and you had the worst of that particular match I think. I've always enjoyed the mix in Necromantic teams the most. Smile Not risking my ST4/AG4 Werewolf in ranked until I'm fully used to it again though! Very Happy
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not always easy holding on to your Blood Bowl Zen when you have a streak of several matches with sour dice and setbacks in team development. When that happens, I recommend taking a break of a few days. It does get better as you play more matches and especially as your coaching improves, so my best recommendation would be to work on the coaching. And if you want some motivating results, try Undead at low TV. Smile
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I'm now having a game with the complete opposite luck, other guy in same shoes I was earlier. Sad Swings and roundabouts I guess!

Funnily enough it's my Undead team doing well in this game ^Verminardo! Very Happy
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be your tactics or just generally one of those matches, can you link the match?

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's how it goes sometimes. Just bear with it, do your best, and as you learn better, do better. You'll come to love the streaks — all of them!

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

FinnDiesel wrote:
It might be your tactics or just generally one of those matches, can you link the match?

This was the match, some details I was wrong on like the double skulls reroll, was actually the bonehead roll which failed second, still learning all the details again!

Undoubtedly I have a lot to learn tactically, you were very unlucky multiple times in our last match!

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4007869
Mattius

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2018 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Jimrod wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been back playing for a couple of weeks now, after over 10 years of not playing, been trying to relearn the tactics and get up to date with the changes (still failed to buy inducements twice despite thinking I had!).

I think I've had a pretty bad run of luck, many double skulls, deaths and niggles of star players with a single GFI roll of course but I know this is personal perception and largely due to bad play on my part I'm sure. But overall it certainly feels like 75%+ of my games that Nuffle has had it in for me, I recall two where I've felt that I've had good luck and opponent bad (out of nearly 50 games).

So, I made a new team, a fresh start! I get a match, another new team - great! I'm trying Chaos Renegades with 3 big guys, human linemen, an elf and a goblin. Opponent is Chaos Chosen.

I'm receiving kick off and manage to pick up the ball with the elf, this is going well! My first attack is with my Troll - double skull, reroll, double skull. Oh, that's my luck over for this game. In turn two my ogre is killed by a single dice attack from an unskilled beastman lineman, the Apothocary result: Killed/Killed. After two turns I've already resigned to losing this one. My elf then attempts his first ever dodge and is badly hurt needing a 2. I lose the game 2-0 with 4 players remaining. Team is retired after one game, I'm now thinking about personally retiring from the game too!

So is this the norm? Should I always expect this? It's supposed to be random right? Very Happy I know it's basically a moan topic but I'm just finding it hard to keep enthusiasm at the moment. More of a vent post than anything. I know people say the luck will change, I keep thinking that too... Hmm.

Thanks for the games to those that I've played!

Hang in there! Luck will swing round. Play the percentages, watch top level coaches and manage your expectations if you are playing lower tier races (they are not all fair match-ups).
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

no "buts"
Christy

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I known the feeling. I have frequently felt annoyed at being outnumbered before realising that I have more players on the pitch. I was just outmaneuvered.

As you play more you will learn to stop giving yourself so many chances to get unlucky and then the deaths will reduce. Certainly you were unlucky but that will happen time to time and everyone here has suffered it so you are in good company (had a few tabletop games recently where my ulfwerener refused to surf anyone, no matter how many opportunities he got).
 Jump to: