64 coaches online • Server time: 19:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2018 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

By not buying inducements do you mean you are clicking them and then okay and they aren't in the team? Make sure you mark the checkbox and don't just click on the player icon or the name. I've done that so many times and everytime it makes me want to scream!
garyt1

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I wish there was a warning message if you don't spend most of your inducements when you have a TV difference.
Jimrod, there is some good advice given by others. Taking too many risks and then using unreliable big guy heavy teams will lead to some disturbing results. My Ogres let me down more than plenty.
Have you seen you can click the dice with the green arrows around it near the top of match reports? That shows dice stats. We can see you rolled quite a lot of 2s that match.
But also we can see that your opponent did 60 blocks. Perhaps because he took advantage early but that is much more than you want to be giving up. Also out of 30 blocks you did a -2db and 8 1db which is quite a lot.

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting better isn't going to add to your enjoyment. If you are feeling this level of frustration after 2 weeks I'd let it go and move on.
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 08:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the input guys! Smile

Played a few more games with varying teams, still like Necromantic as I did "back in the day" but find it hard going against physical teams as they're not agile enough to ping the ball about but with two 4st Golems not really got the big firepower either. Fun though, I think it's the variety in the team I like. I rarely win with them though, as TV increases you get some great wolves and ghouls coming through but they get targeted quickly by ever tougher teams...

A Khemri team took me apart yesterday, admittedly quite a lot higher TV but at least this time I managed to buy an inducement chainsaw guy (didn't last long Very Happy) - yeah the checkbox seems to be what I missed Gnoblarbezer, though I'm sure I'd done it right before! I think a Nurgle team destroyed my fairly fresh Chaos one and some Vampires took a big bite of the Necro's (this was definitely some poor play on my part too - I had a LOT of pushbacks in the first half where I needed Pows but I set up to kick in round one when I was receiving! The problem playing at work with distractions... Very Happy). The ball of course landed right next to my own goal line too! Smile

On the flipside I smashed a dark elf team with my Undead, who are having a good run - but then he'd had the kind of luck I was talking about from my side before. So it does go both ways for sure!

I'm not sure I'm improving much but certainly learning a few of the basic mechanics (and newer rule changes) that I'd forgotten or didn't know, they've cost me in a couple of matches, especially the vampire one as I wasn't aware of how some of the abilities work, got caught out by hypno and wrestle, even a nooby guard misjudgment on a blitz. :\

@garyt1 - I tried looking at the game stats before too but what I realised is that they make me look like a bit risk-taker on the final tally when I'm actually far more cautious generally - what happens is I have to start desperation moves if I'm down to 6-7 players or have everyone down and need to try and stop a touchdown, that particular match when the start went very badly had me chancing things a lot more than usual! This isn't helped when you've come from a couple of games with orcs dodging and passing against you like elves and having loads of 1d attack against you that seem to pay off, you think "if they can do it..." Very Happy

Anyway, I'll keep sticking with it, trying to minimize chance, should probably stick to fewer teams too so I can get more reliable play styles working! As much as I enjoy Necro they don't seem to suit my game as much as some others!

Thanks again for all the useful feedback!
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Getting better isn't going to add to your enjoyment. If you are feeling this level of frustration after 2 weeks I'd let it go and move on.

I think it's more a bad run of luck in a few games that was getting to me most - I accept you'll have some really bad luck at times and also good, I'd just had what seemed like a really bad run. I know I'm still learning the ropes but re-roll double skulls while opponent 1d's you at crucial times and that kind of thing is what was starting to get me down, losing star players (as in dead) to a single GFI with re-roll then failed apoth... even loads of pushbacks on 2d's were taking their toll despite not looking bad on paper. I expect I had some good luck in there too which is far easier to forget, but I try to step back and have a balanced appraisal, also getting used to player deaths/niggles more.

I've certainly lost some matches that I enjoyed recently too because things seemed fair, it was a bad few days when I started this thread. Smile Thanks for the feedback!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

Why haven't you moved on then? You've been spreading you epic level frustration on the forums and blog comments since I came back to Fumbbl 7 years ago, even though you've hardly played any matches. And in this case, you are giving very bad advice, too. Seriously man, it's not healthy.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Why haven't you moved on then? You've been spreading you epic level frustration on the forums and blog comments since I came back to Fumbbl 7 years ago, even though you've hardly played any matches. And in this case, you are giving very bad advice, too. Seriously man, it's not healthy.

It was a sad and bizarre comment. I'd need at least a third hand to count the number of times new players at my tabletop club have gone through similar experiences to op. Trying to help them to feel more positive as well as to understand the game better is one of the great privileges of being a more experienced coach. Such a terse dismissal is very much contrary to what I normally see from this community.

I continue to find enjoyment from getting better, reflecting on matches and plays and getting feedback from opponents. So persevere, Jimrod!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well this derails the thread a bit, and goes into a bit more negative detail than I wanted to...

Firstly don't mistake my loyalties. I don't have a bad word to say about FUMBBL and will always plug it as the best place to play the game. I genuinely feel that.

Verminardo wrote:
Why haven't you moved on then?

You have a personal problem with me, that's clear. I don't really want to get into your comments. So I have only this to say. Gamingwise I have. Hobbywise I am a Blood Bowler for life. I still have plenty of useful input and am and will always be intersted and active in the BB community.

pokrjax wrote:
It was a sad and bizarre comment.

Verminardo wrote:
And in this case, you are giving very bad advice, too. Seriously man, it's not healthy.

I disagree and I think you both misunderstand my intention.

If the OP is feeling the level of frustation 'I' perceived from the original post.

Jimrod wrote:

I think I've had a pretty bad run of luck, ..............overall it certainly feels like 75%+ of my games that Nuffle has had it in for me, I recall two where I've felt that I've had good luck and opponent bad (out of nearly 50 games).

Then why go on?

Picking up a new game should be a golden time. A time of learning and picking things up as you go along. (for me and remember my advice was what I would do) at the start winning isn't 'that' important compared to the overall experience.

What I am reading from the OP is a negative experience and seeing negatives when actually negatives aren't there. In short I am seeing a lot of 'unfun'.

So if that's the case........why continue? Slog away at a past time (we use to relax and unwind) just so you have the achievement of being better? Not for me, that sounds like worse than work.

So.....for the best for the site and the OP.......if the experience has been as negative as I perceive 'I'd throw in the towel'. My experience tells me it's generally a rocky downward road of frustation, that doesn't do anybody any favours.

The OP wants to slog it out? blood, sweat and tears like. Yeah, all the power to them and the best of luck.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, it isn't personal, it's just the content of 95 % of your posts. Wink
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Oh, it isn't personal, it's just the content of 95 % of your posts. Wink

That's about as personal as you can make it.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 29, 2018 - 14:32 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

The OP didn't even seem to know how bonehead worked.

Understanding the game would definitely improve their enjoyment.

I guess they wouldn't be anywhere near as frustrated if they understood what was going wrong.

Knowing the rules and key strategies will make a huge difference.

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll be pleased to know I now know how Bonehead and really stupid works. I've played three games today, all, as usual with amazing luck.

Firstly I played my game with Chaos vs a Nurgle team, starts ok, end of turn 1 I risk a 1d attack in a safe area - skull, rr skull - = badly hurt blocker, my bad but not the end of the world. His turn, knocks one out, can still cope, I still have the ball. Then I try to push forwards, silly me:

WTF.

Comes to a stalemate, I'm unable to push on, His turn he fouls, knocks another out and it's all downhill from there really. A serious injury, I salvage a draw. Figure it'll go better the next match...

My fresh Nurgle team against the same player with his elves.

Lose 1-0 but the standout for me is the performance of my Rotspawn, luckily I know to keep someone near him now so he'll at least be in the game! Hahahaha:

I try to use him in 10 of the 16 turns (I know the tactic of just keeping him near the enemy for tentacles and not risk using him, I'm learning!) My rolls:

1 = Fail
(reroll = fail)
2 = Pass
1 = Fail
1 = Fail
3 = Pass
2 = Pass
1 = Fail
1 = Fail
6 = Pass
1. = Fail

So despite him being on the pitch he manages to actually roll more than 1 a whopping 4 turns, rolls 1 x 6 times.

And in my last match I start fresh with my Undead but have two kick off blitzes against me from a physically stronger team and give up trying, just throwing caution to the wind each turn and not expecting much. I play very badly in this match because it doesn't seem to make much difference and I've lost interest by this point, he even manages to pass to his 1ag Saurus blocker. As this Undead team skills up I can't even roll block or ST on the mummies whilst facing opponents with 6st blocking bandaged b*****ds. Neutral These examples aren't the full story, every crucial attack today I've rolled pushback or pushback/skull and it gets very wearing, if opponents mention it it's probably not in your head.

I don't imagine my luck, it's just crap. I think maybe I'll roll a fresh account, this one seems to be cursed. :p

Yes I'm venting again, just trying to prove with some stats it's not ALL me! Very Happy
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Its all you.

I barely notice when such foul app blocks happen, I guess I would be a little annoyed, but its still in my (or yours) head, you just have to accept that and work with reducing your negativitiy instead.
You mentioned you "lost interest in the game", dont do that, games can be won against odds too.. yeah, you got down a touchdown or two, but you can still win 3-2, the game is never over, work hard on making the luck turn, because it will, and you know that too (deep down).

also never rely on a player with negatraits (except vamps with pro), very stupid is the worst of them all, so its just a bonus if he moves, even if it is just a 2+, avoid taking rolls unless you really have to, thats how you cheat luck.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

You are going to struggle in a lot of matchups because quite frankly, your playstyle leads to rolling a lot of blockdice - you predominantly mark up and try to force rolls from your opponent; but this means if he doesn't bother to roll, you then do. And you make a lot of 1d6 actions from what i've seen.

You're also quite frivolous with your rerolls. Which may be why you've got 5 rerolls on an undead team who haven't broken 1500tv (this is insane btw, even if you use them all every game, you are going to be at a skills deficit, which undead can possibly handle due to being an extremely strong starting race, but over time it's going to really come back on you).

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Once you have played a statistically significant number of games, we all have the same dice. All we can do is do the best with them we can.
I assure you each coach on this site could post something similar to yours and the longer they have played the more likely they could show you something more extreme. When I am going through a bad run I console myself with knowing that Bill Brasky has probably had something twice as bad.
 Jump to: