32 coaches online • Server time: 07:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I was very careful not to rely on him for anything, that's why I didn't move or attack with him for 6 turns once he was in a useful position, the point was - what are the odds on rolling 6 x 1's on 10 x 6-sided dice? I'd get good money for £10 on that I'm sure! Very Happy I try to play safe and still get shafted.

I noticed the foul app blocks because we were all head to head as I tried to make a move through the line and got 4 in a row, I was told these are nice bonuses when they happen, not game-changers!

I've come back from bad odds before, I risk a lot more when I need to, but people tell me to play safe and luck will change, when I do I get pummelled. The amount of turns that start with blitz when I'm receiving is amazing too! But these weren't the worst bits of today, it was the amount of failed 2d blocks and successful opponent ones that really cost me, it won't show on the stats but they were all the ones that matter. I put up the info I did as it's an easy example of the kind of games I'm having. Smile

Like I said, it's also just venting frustration. Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Drop 2 rrs from your Undead team, 3 team rrs are enough (or 2 team rrs + 1 leader rr).
Before whining about dice you have to do everything you can in order to increase your odds, good roster management is the first step, then positioning and risk assessment. Dice are not in your control, but you can control other variables, for example how many dice you roll/force your opponent to roll and how many skills you face on your opponent's team.
Focus more on what you can control.
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Drop 2 rrs from your Undead team, 3 team rrs are enough (or 2 team rrs + 1 leader rr).
Before whining about dice you have to do everything you can in order to increase your odds, good roster management is the first step, then positioning and risk assessment. Dice are not in your control, but you can control other variables, for example how many dice you roll/force your opponent to roll and how many skills you face on your opponent's team.
Focus more on what you can control.

Ok, I'll drop 2 RR's, should I get rid of Mummies too? I'm at 22 and 33 skill points with no block or +st rolls so I'm at best 2d attacking with a high chance of opponent having block - I find they're being taken out a lot, very easily, when they're supposed to be roadblocks.

My Necro team was at 1360tv when it faced 1600tv, 1530 vs 1700, 1570 vs 1890 and then finally finished off at 1410 vs 1610. So if I drop rerolls do I not still stand every chance of facing higher teams, just less RR's to help?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

With your Mummies you can try to set up 3d blocks vs ST 3 players quite easily (Guards help).
Personally I cycle Mummies without Block after the 3rd skill, especially now that they can be nominated for the MVP, so yes I would retire the one with 3 skills as soon as possible.

About your Necro team: I guess you activated few teams and found a TV gap, if you activate many teams at different TVs your chances of finding an even match will increase.
The fact is that if you stack rrs on a relatively young team you might face older teams, more developed and with more skills.
Skills are generally better than rrs, because they work more than once per half, so there is a diminishing return after 2-3 rrs.
Generally speaking, 3 rrs are enough for almost every team.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

On undeads I guess people differ some on opinions.
yep, trim the RR to 3 and they should be competitive enough.

on sacking the mummies, well, yeah maybe.. but its not that nessesary, sure you can try to be
lucky on some new rolls, also depends a little on what tv range you want to place them in.
sometimes a fresh start is good, especially on vanilla mummies, maybe a little early yet

on games in general, if you can, try to ignore the luck factor, safeguarding against luck (expect to be unlucky) will work extreamly well.
I say this also because, fuming about it makes you play worse in the moment.
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm not aiming for any particular TV range, just want the teams to be competitive, I'm finding the teams I'm facing have a lot of strong, skilled up players with block so the mummies aren't proving much of a threat with Break Tackle, Stand Firm and Guard.

I try to start the day tactically, when one game goes bad it's frustrating but fine (that was the 1-1 today), when two games go bad it gets quite annoying and when the third starts with blitz it rapidly descends from there. I nearly always lose big players early on too - my Ogre the other day after 2 turns, my Minotaur was killed in a second turn too I think.

I've just had a game come up - my Human 1350 team (with the dead ogre) vs a 1550 Necro - let's see... Against Necro I'd prefer my Undead! Very Happy
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

This game forces you to learn harsh lessons

You won't improve much until you get past your perception that you 1) play carefully 2) have bad luck
Neither of those are really true, sorry
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
This game forces you to learn harsh lessons

You won't improve much until you get past your perception that you 1) play carefully 2) have bad luck
Neither of those are really true, sorry

And sometimes you go through slumps that you make worse by getting angry and playing like crap. True story Wink
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2018 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like three games a day may be too much. Chances are it is what makes you lose interest. Also, when playing that much games in a row, one is more likely to perceive unlucky streaks. It can quickly become a source of frustration.

So, to improve, maybe it would be a good idea to slow down on the number of games played per day. I know it's counter-intuitive, but the idea would be to fully invest yourself in a low number of game played instead of diluting yourself on so many games. You are kind of blinding yourself by playing that much. Anyway, everyone has a limit of top quality concentration time per day.

Study more, play less, invest your intelligence wisely and improve.

Also, I'm pretty sure this very light toned article is appropriate to your current situation https://bloodbowlstrategies.com/en/blood-bowl-coaches-bad-luck/. A read is recommended.
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice guys!

I do know I'm still re-learning the game, this was my last match yesterday that I'd consider standard, fairly equal in terms of what I'd call luck, far better than my previous three games - if anyone's bored and fancies offering a critique/advice I'm happy to listen! Smile

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4009489

I did rush the first touchdown on this rather trying to run the clock down as those wolves were concerning me. I overshot a little trying to close down his wolves on his attack which left me open a bit too much at the back, didn't account for his "leap" to score a TD but had a lack of cover by that point anyway. Later in the game I did a fair few 1d attacks in non-crucial positions to try and slow him down, but only if I had a re-roll left, his lack of re-rolls seemed to hurt him at the end.

The general feedback I've had so far seems to be that I need to be more careful, I'm not fully sure the best way to do that without a high agility team and with the opponent on you?
mawph

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Without having a look (and I know timing and type of rolls is important) you got the better of the luck that game, rather than it being equal. Your armour rolls were better, your injury rolls were better, 72% of your single D6 rolls were 4+'s (with only a single 1, while 30% (10) of your opponents single D6's being a 1) and your opponent had fewer than average Pows and Defender Stumbles.

That said, you're much better listening to better players who have actually looked at your play in the game. I'm just critiquing your mention of even luck Wink
Jimrod

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

mawph wrote:
Without having a look (and I know timing and type of rolls is important) you got the better of the luck that game, rather than it being equal. Your armour rolls were better, your injury rolls were better, 72% of your single D6 rolls were 4+'s (with only a single 1, while 30% (10) of your opponents single D6's being a 1) and your opponent had fewer than average Pows and Defender Stumbles.

That said, you're much better listening to better players who have actually looked at your play in the game. I'm just critiquing your mention of even luck Wink

Ahh, but luck doesn't exist, just skill! Wink That's the message I've been getting... Smile
Harad

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Then you haven't been reading properly.
Rawlf

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well props to you for taking that match at all. Playing up that much in CR and TV, am 2-2 must be seen as a victory.
Harad

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2018 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry that isn't meant to be harsh, it's just we get a lot of threads like this: new person starts, new person posts saying how unlucky they are, community tries to tell them that they aren't as unlucky as they think and that there are other factors at play, person who posted original characterises the advice as 'luck has nothing to do with it'.

I imagine I probably even did something the same. So I don't mean to be negative, just try and remove yourself from the challenge to get to a place that you can see the advice for what it is.
 Jump to: