79 coaches online • Server time: 21:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the challenge is the grind. It's a lot easier to avoid complete tilt and a downwards spiral if you're not all competing with the same limitations of time etc. I'm pretty sure eg. happygrue might have taken a 2-4 week break as he got into a rut with the end in sight, if he knew he could just carry over his score.

Which incidentally raises another problem - this past trophy, Malmir raced off to a stunning start, which looked pretty unbeatable for a lot of people, who gave up. And he doesn't look like finishing. A carry-over in the manner you suggest could see someone rack up a huge early score and then stop for whatever reason, only to decide to take it into trophy 2 - which would mean their huge score would have a debilitating effect on two trophy runs, potentially more, without them ever actually even playing a game after the first.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Other suggestions to jazz it up a little

Best team award. Poll for who made the best team after 40 games... Maybe need to take screenshots of the team at 40

Same for best player

11 month season and a KO tournament at the end?
Any trophy team with 40 or less games played can enter, one per coach

Badges for racial winners, overall winner. Like leagues have

Some kind of special marker on teams in the current season, so you don't have to put eg [JSBBT] at the front of your team names

Marker removed when team exits the trophy
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Part of the challenge is the grind: ok, but I reject the rest of your argument Smile

only 6 people have completed it. 6! That's woeful

Maybe a dozen will complete it by the end

Far more players will have been put off by the grind, than would have been put off by malmirs strong early start
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If it is about encouraging people to play then it shouldn't be a "grind".

I think 4 * 30 would be enough games. Allowing people to add a second squad should satisfy the more prolific coaches.

A parallel Trophy that allows existing teams might help people who don't like restarts.
Famous teams add a bit of character IMO.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

Badges for racial winners, overall winner. Like leagues have

Badges for any team that completes the 30/40 games.

That would probably encourage more teams to press on than the points bonus.

Most people know from day one that they are not going to win.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If it is about encouraging people to play then it shouldn't be a "grind".

I think 4 * 30 would be enough games. Allowing people to add a second squad should satisfy the more prolific coaches.

A parallel Trophy that allows existing teams might help people who don't like restarts.
Famous teams add a bit of character IMO.

In terms of "grind" that's just kind of the whole idea. Testing your mettle and BB ability on a really long time-frame. This thing really isn't for those who want to play a bit and be done with it. It's going to be a slog of ups and downs, as hundreds of games in the box tend to be.

On the parallel Trophy idea... it could be really interesting to continue to track the trophy teams in their later years... a setup that allowed each individual team to be tracked over their next 30/40 in season increments could satisfy those who are into that kind of thing. Some of my BT teams are getting binned right after this, but others it might be fun to continue playing. Allowing individual BT teams to compete in a separate contest after the main event is done might be a draw for some folks, and I'm guessing it could borrow a lot from the existing setup already in place so maybe it wouldn't be too hard a lift to implement (not that we the masses care about such things...)?

I don't really care about the season rules yet, but that might also prove to be an interesting playground for testing such things. An opt in section of developed teams starting at the same place and going through a fixed number of games in the regular box, but getting reset with the season rules every 30/40 games. That might be a draw or make people run and hide, I don't know. Very Happy

One final thought: we could do with to standardizing exactly what this is called before S2, because the names are all over the place. I would propose renaming the "Black Box Steel Gauntlet" thread and just making everything "Blackbox Trophy" going forward so that new arrivals know we're all talking about the same thing, and people making new teams can put a [BT] tag in front of their names if they are into that kind of thing.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2018 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
smallman wrote:
This is great for players in peak time zones, but not for the rest of us. Off peak, BADLY needs activation frequency reduced to an interval, that would have players bother to come together at these key times, instead of randomly trying and only getting 1 to 3 that actually try at the same session, for hours on end every day Sad

I'm pretty sure if off-peak players had less activations but an increased chance of playing smallkosp you'd actually end up with less games overall Cool

The current system of rarely more than 4 teams activating, plus matchups with over 1 mil tv gap, are the reasons i activate my only team that has a chance with these pairings. Everyone benefits if i am instead encouraged to compete in the box trophy.
Civ

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Less games would greatly improve the chance of me joining in next season. 4x30 seems quite doable for instance
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 01:49 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:

In terms of "grind" that's just kind of the whole idea. Testing your mettle and BB ability on a really long time-frame. This thing really isn't for those who want to play a bit and be done with it. It's going to be a slog of ups and downs, as hundreds of games in the box tend to be.

So far only around 20 coaches have managed even the 120 games.

Making it more accessible will create more of a buzz.
You need the coaches to promote it.
Otherwise you get a big kick off but with most people losing interst before 50/60 games.

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:

The current system of rarely more than 4 teams activating, plus matchups with over 1 mil tv gap, are the reasons i activate my only team that has a chance with these pairings. Everyone benefits if i am instead encouraged to compete in the box trophy.

Its only a tv gap because of the rule made for certain number of games played by a team since, not pointing out anyone in particular, some people were min maxing. So if instead you make a variety of teams and activate with that variety of teams, well then you wont accidentally get "stupid 640 or 1 mil tv differences" and have some good player die. And there are less coaches activating because some people left the server when too many people were mix maxing, again not saying any teams in particular, and therefore there are not as many coaches activating at different times.
And a good elf team can always win.
smallman

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

A 1500 tv elf team has less than 1% chance of winning vs 2500 elf if both good coaches. You can activate 10 teams and still get paired vs a 1 mil tv gap
SpecialOne

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 08:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I will not finish my games, and I am fine with retiring my 5 teams to start over. I pretty much don't care about the rules you guys think up, I just want diversity in the box. But! The best rules are often kept simple. Please keep that in mind when working out the next season.

And one thing. Lets start the new season 1st of january. Its just easier to remember.
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 08:42
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
A 1500 tv elf team has less than 1% chance of winning vs 2500 elf

This is categorically untrue. The real chance to win based on actual stats is more like 40%.
smallman

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

!!! I would love to know the exact stats you have used here. 40% is not believable if any of 4 elf races, atleast 1 mil gap, and max 1500tv on lowest.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2018 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. Lies, damn lies...

It could be that you are both right. Mr. Green

Jump to: