37 coaches online • Server time: 16:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, I'm sending this out to all the NA timezone coaches that are interested in playing in this year's Black Box Trophy (which just started today):

You might be thinking the same thing I was at first: "It's so hard to get Box games in the NA timezone that I'll never be able to get to 150 games. So, what's the point in entering?"

Well, I just want to put the word out that I was talking with a couple of the NA Admins on Discord earlier and they said that, if we can round up 8 coaches that want to play BBT games in the NA evenings, they would be willing to kick off an NA-timezone, BBT-only Instant Smack!

So, not only could we play some Box games and rack up qualifying games for the BBT, but we could also have the chance to pick up some official tourney silverware to boot. How cool is that?

The Black Box Trophy looks really exciting and it's even more accessible this year than it was last time, with the target number of games reduced from 200 to 150. I think it would be great if we could harness some of the buzz to help re-invigorate the NA timezone. So, I propose that we start a pm thread with all the NA coaches that want to play in the BBT. If we can find one evening a week that works for everyone, then we can hopefully ask an Admin to kick off a 'BBT smack'. Otherwise, if we have less than 8, we can at least agree on a time to activate, so we can maximize the chance (minimize the pain) of finding some games.

Any thoughts/comments? Anyone on board?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Willowforrest

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be throwing in to make it 4 when possible for activations. I also suggest that maybe we look at Tuesday night for the alliteration of Tuesday Night Trophy Hunt.
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be making a 5 team squad as soon as I can decide what 5 teams I want. (so probably in 2 weeks). As far as finding an Admin well I can help y'all there too. Would be nice if we could use this to help revive NA box.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
I'll be throwing in to make it 4 when possible for activations. I also suggest that maybe we look at Tuesday night for the alliteration of Tuesday Night Trophy Hunt.

We'll be counting on you to distract Rash, mrt, so the rest of us can get our BBT games in lol xD

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 03:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Challenge accepted? Razz
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Tuesday Night Trophy Hunt sounds good to me Very Happy

Klazam

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Made my 5 teams, I'll be seeing youse around.
razmus

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Gah! I wasn't gonna do it, but... Peer pressure!

Cloggy

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

So this is an official tournament where you are only allowed to enter teams that are taking part in an unrelated meta tournament?

Sorry, but that sounds a bit dodgy to me Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 16:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the Instant SMACKs seem to have an element of "bring this kind of team" gentleman's agreement to them so I don't really see it as a problem.

Does it have to be all Trophy, though? I think the matches count even if they are against Ranked teams in a tourney? May be wrong though...
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2018 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
So this is an official tournament where you are only allowed to enter teams that are taking part in an unrelated meta tournament?

Sorry, but that sounds a bit dodgy to me Smile

I'm not a tourney Admin, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that if anyone can round up 8 coaches that want to do an Instant Smack, and those coaches want to agree on a particular 'theme' for the tourney, then that's fair play (provided they can find an Admin willing to start it).

In the past, there have been ARR-themed Brawls, for example.

I was thinking some BBT-only Smacks might help to encourage participation in the event in the NA-timezone, where the Box has been practically on life-support for the past 2 years. But, as Verminardo says, I believe BBT teams are eligible for any official tourneys and those games count for the event. So, doing some low-ish TV-capped open-access Smacks would be good for BBT teams too. Just that those wouldn't have the same effect of encouraging BBT participation.

JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2018 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there didn't seem to be too much difficulty getting a Box game last night at 03:30 bbtime. 4 games were drawn, which is practically unheard of!

I'll be hoping this continues - maybe my fears were overblown Very Happy

NerdFrog

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2018 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Had no problem getting a game in this morning (evening for the euros), but will see next week after our Thanksgiving weekend camping trip (yes, I'm north of the 49th) what evenings can be like.
Let's get a BT2 discord channel going!

Discord: NerdFrog (UTC-7)#5713
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/NerdFrog1/
 Jump to: