64 coaches online • Server time: 20:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do re-rolls make you lazy?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
No
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
Pie
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Macavity
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 50

mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 13:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking recently about re-rolls, and how having them affects my play.

If I'm required to burn through them early in a half or I've lost them to a chef, I can play quite conservatively for the rest of the drive only making the most necessary/critical moves. I played in a league without re-rolls and definitely played differently.
If I have re-rolls readily available I'll make extra moves that may improve my position, but wouldn't be worth risking without that back-up, or maybe a 50/50 play with a potentially big payoff.

I'm not sure which is better. Should I be playing more conservatively even when I have re-rolls, to ensure they are available for later? Or should I be leveraging the benefit of having re-rolls to make plays that can win games? Does having the re-rolls make you lazy and sloppy, or does not having them make you more conservative than you should be?

I suppose, ultimately, the question is 'can the best option to take on a turn be vastly different based on whether you have a re-roll or not, or is the basic turn always the same and the re-roll merely a backup/benefit?'

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts...

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh your poll is something other than your post. Wink I think the mark of a great coach is never to be lazy because he still has a reroll, but of course, rerolling a non-crucial action early in a drive can make a big difference later on, so I like doing it, especially in first half of an overtime game, where I tend to carry at least one additional reroll to save for overtime which I don't really need in half 1.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 14:03
FUMBBL Staff

Yeah, the poll is more just for fun Razz

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have Re-Rolls, you have paid for them, both in Gold to get them and TV to keep them. So it would be un-economical not to play with them. If you have costs, you should see to make them worth it by producing a better outcome in comparision to playing without them.

So, regarding your question, I say:

If you invest in Re-Rolls, you should be looking to make them worth it. Take some risks to strengthen your position or to weaken your opponent's.

I know, this is not exactly an answer to your question, but maybe you can still take something of it.

a) If you invest in Re-Rolls, you should make actions where you might need them, therefore playing a bit more open to certain risks.
b) If you on the other hand (want to) play conservatively you shouldn't invest in (huge amounts) of rerolls.

It comes all down to your prefered style of play.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I've also thought about rerolls, in a similar way. While I was going through these considerations, I couldnt help but to include the pro skill in my considerations. I really enjoy playing with Vampires, and have found the Pro skill on them to be invaluable.
Maybe drop team rerolls down to 2, and include Pro into skill progression on 2-4 players who do most of the actions that are important* for your turn?

ThierryM

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Join the NRA !!
No Rerolls Association !

Yes, I think twice before playing when I have no RR and prioritize my moves far better. But what works for me may not be a global rule for all coaches.
You know, i'm also trigger happy when I buy a wizard and usually launch his fireball T1 )

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I rerolled a push/push more than once, especially if it was that clawmbing block against the Av9 freak legend.
crack open that tin can!

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Reroll strategy is kinda driven by format and composition. Like, with Denvork, I usually stock 5 re-rolls, with the idea of using them at a specific pace, whether that means safeguarding against failures or piling on. But which pace that is really depends on the opposition and the way the game unfolds. Like, if my opponent is going to leave me blitzes on good players early in the drive, well, I'm gonna plan a more conservative turn so I'm more likely to have a re-roll for the PO.

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I was thinking recently about re-rolls, and how having them affects my play.

If I'm required to burn through them early in a half or I've lost them to a chef, I can play quite conservatively for the rest of the drive only making the most necessary/critical moves. I played in a league without re-rolls and definitely played differently.
If I have re-rolls readily available I'll make extra moves that may improve my position, but wouldn't be worth risking without that back-up, or maybe a 50/50 play with a potentially big payoff.

I'm not sure which is better. Should I be playing more conservatively even when I have re-rolls, to ensure they are available for later? Or should I be leveraging the benefit of having re-rolls to make plays that can win games? Does having the re-rolls make you lazy and sloppy, or does not having them make you more conservative than you should be?

I suppose, ultimately, the question is 'can the best option to take on a turn be vastly different based on whether you have a re-roll or not, or is the basic turn always the same and the re-roll merely a backup/benefit?'

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts...

I don't think it makes you lazy and I am coming from the perspective of Elves here.

From my perspective rerolls simply inform you of how much risk you can undertake on a turn. I've done 0 RR Elf teams and they play different and you are more vigilant with some positioning but you're also playing a decidedly different game where you aren't doing the elfball moves you might - which is an integral part of their game.

I just don't think you can put RRs into the spectrum of diligent and lazy because for some teams and coaches where taking a 2+2+ -2d6 at the right moment and because you have a RR in hand is the right play even if the odds aren't ideal.

I would say in response to the ultimate question - No. In general your best moves shouldn't rely so heavily on having or not having a RR. A good move is a good move without a RR. A good move is an even better move with a RR. A bad move is taking a bunch of non integral actions that might use a RR before taking your best move.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

FRSHMN wrote:
If you have Re-Rolls, you have paid for them, both in Gold to get them and TV to keep them. So it would be un-economical not to play with them. If you have costs, you should see to make them worth it by producing a better outcome in comparision to playing without them.

So, regarding your question, I say:

If you invest in Re-Rolls, you should be looking to make them worth it. Take some risks to strengthen your position or to weaken your opponent's.

I know, this is not exactly an answer to your question, but maybe you can still take something of it.

a) If you invest in Re-Rolls, you should make actions where you might need them, therefore playing a bit more open to certain risks.
b) If you on the other hand (want to) play conservatively you shouldn't invest in (huge amounts) of rerolls.

It comes all down to your prefered style of play.

To me it feels like RRs for conservative teams are for the eventual skulls or a suboptimal outcome on a key block and shifty moves out of a really bad spot. For elves and rats RRs are for taking your shots, regrouping your players, and just constantly resetting position as best you can. The thing that cracks me up about the game design is that the teams most hungry for RRs - Elves - also get them for 50k almost begging you to lean on them more. There are simply so many more opportunities to use those relatively cheap RRs as elves than most any other teams.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the power of the new Piling On. In NBFL, I know I'm always gonna be huge, so I don't care about a little marginal TV. The 5 re-rolls I carry into the half, I don't know if they're gonna get me out of four bad spots and let me pile on once, or if they're gonna get me put of one bad spot and let me pile on four times. But either way, I'm probably using most or all of my re-rolls, you know?

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 19:55
FUMBBL Staff

The poll is one of the closest I’ve seen, likely cos the question was crap Razz

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Endzone

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

When it comes to rerolls I always follow the wise teachings of a jedi master:

"Too many rerolls is the path to the dark side. Complacency leads to laziness. Laziness leads to sloppiness. Sloppiness leads to losing."

"Always two there are, no more, no less. A must have and a reserve."

"Mind what you reroll, save you it can."

"Control rerolls, you must learn control!"
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone: "I won't fail you. I'm not afraid of 1s!"
Jedi Master: "Oh, you will be. You will be"

Smile
Endzone

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2018 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Adventure. Exitement. Rerolls. A Jedi craves not these things.
 Jump to: