77 coaches online • Server time: 21:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
razmus

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I was listening to the awesome Podcast#12 while cooking the other day, and still listening while cooking this morning. Just wanted to toss in my two cents. (I'm in the US, so that's 0.026 CAD, 0.016£ or 0.018€...)

First, y'all mentioned the scheduler on FUMBBL. (It was in passing, related to the FumbblCup, but I'll take it.) If there were any coaches listening who said, 'FUMBBL Scheduler? Wot's dat?' I recently took a stab at an explanation.

Second. You mentioned using lego men for tabletop Blood Bowl. After I encountered a coach using a predominated stand-in team for necro (flat pools of body parts for zombies stand out to me,) I decided I liked the idea. Last year, in our very bash heavy local TT league, I decided I'd take Khemri for a spin. I didn't have a team, but I have lots of molded plaster, so I cobbled together a team.
The guys in the back, primarily in gold are my Tomb Guardians, and the short guys in the front are regular skeletons. The middle row guys with purple in their top rings are the throw-ra, and the remaining two are blitz-ra. It worked pretty well to be able to tell who was who... and I'd add paint for skill-ups. (The gold based throw-ra, for example, had +AG. The one with half Black top picked up Block.)

My experience? Only one coach hated it and refused to play me that season. (After the season, he said substituted figures made him physically ill. *shrug*) I'd started converting some skeletons I'd picked up at the dollar store, but the scale was a bit off.
These discount bones may yet make an appearance in a tournament somewhere... Smile
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome, i might try the same with some lego minis

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The weirdest stand-in miniatures I've played against, were colourful pipe cleaners/chenille stems, bent into the shape of players, fastened to wooden buttons as bases. It worked, but I did have to ask a few times to learn which was which.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand this if you want to try something out before buying anything. But playing in a league or going to a tournamet? That I don't see as acceptable. We might as well start playing with sticks and stones then.

ThierryM wrote:
CR... The synonym of E-Penis right ?
razmus

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

In my case, I wanted to run a Khemri team for one season, and I didn't have easy access to a Khemri team that I wanted to purchase. Our league season is only four to six weeks. (I've still only seen one Khemri team that I'd _maybe_ consider.) In the last eighteen months, I've bought Amazons, Dwarfs, Chorfs, High/Pro Elf, Wood Elf, Human, two orc teams, Skaven, and enough extra figures to make Underworld. From KickStarters which haven't delivered yet, I have Halflings, Ogres, Vikings, Nurgle, and another Skaven team coming. So, I'm happy to buy figures... but I don't quite have the twenty-six different teams I'd want to have. Shocked

The Khemri were a team I went in knowing I was only going to run them for one season. Wink I'm seriously thinking about wood elf next season, and I'm painting my figures for that now. (There was a kickstarter for Khemri/Undead/Necro teams which wouldn't understand that some of us wanted to play all three teams, but didn't want to have so many duplicate figures AND the postage was prohibitive. Smile Otherwise I'm still keeping my eyes open for good post-living teams...)
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

There was one guy in our TT league who ran halflings for a season and used gummy bears stuck on bases as models - when they died, he ate them.
lemf

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2018 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

We had a guy use minion figures as halflings and fluffy unicorns for treemen in a tournament lol. It worked as a one off.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind substitute models so long as it is clear what each one represents. Assuming they are painted I would prefer that to unpainted regular models.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I would hate to play team pictured above. To me, part of the TT experience is to play against a cool team. This not cool IMO. I understand one doesn't have a certain team, or want to put money into it before testing if it is fun to play. Then test it online or borrow proper minis from others.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
The weirdest stand-in miniatures I've played against, were colourful pipe cleaners/chenille stems, bent into the shape of players, fastened to wooden buttons as bases. It worked, but I did have to ask a few times to learn which was which.

I think I played against the same team! Do you recall the coach?
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Shraaaag wrote:

I think I played against the same team! Do you recall the coach?

The coach who used them was someone named Ståle, but I think he borrowed the team from someone named Hilde I think.

The team was a necromantic team. The ghouls were yellow pipe cleaners (Gul = yellow in norwegian). Wights were white pipe cleaners. I don't remember exactly what the werewolf, flesh golems or zombies were.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 21:29
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

http://zenseeker.net/BoardGames/LegoBloodBowl.htm

mind blown. Bacon sandwich dropped. Jaw on floor.

Just.....wow.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2018 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Most official tournaments don’t allow proxy, just remembered from reading NaFC rules

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2018 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Legos will cost almost as much as a real team.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2018 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
There was one guy in our TT league who ran halflings for a season and used gummy bears stuck on bases as models - when they died, he ate them.

Very Happy Smile
 Jump to: