50 coaches online • Server time: 17:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why Do You Spectate?
a) I like to see competitive matches
15%
 15%  [ 15 ]
b) I like to see good coaches
44%
 44%  [ 43 ]
c) I like to see blood
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
d) I like to try and wind people up or see them fail for my own personal reasons
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
e) I want to see how possible oppos in tournamens or leagues I play in are getting on
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 97

Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

When I play matches, I usually have a few specs watching. This got me thinking and led to the question above. I'm going to try and phrase this carefully as I don't want it to sound like I am moaning - I'm really not. I'm just curious. Often specs clap, cheer, aah, etc with what feels like impartiality. Crickets are applied when people are slow. Cheers are applied when someone dies. Fair enough. Having said that, I know there's some who follow my matches to cheer my every fail, crickets if I pause for thought and aahs when things don't work out. I have no problem with that. It's their entitlement and there's a mute button for a reason - a button I often use, particularly in competitive games where I want to give it some thought without crickets. A brilliantly designed sound effect btw, as it is damn annoying and gets my mute button straight away. So this is just a poll to find out why you spec... If more than one reason applies, which I'm sure it will for most, post it in the thread. For me it would be e) primarily, but once I am speccing for e), then a), b), c) and f) all come into play and since I am asking for honesty, perhaps even some d) if I feel someone is acting like a tool in the game chat. I'd genuinely love to hear from someone who specs my matches and enjoys heckling me to see their motivation (I'm a big boy, I can take it) or pm me - no hard feelings or retribution I promise.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

f) was meant to be 'I like watching famous teams'.
WizardX11

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I like watching my friends if I don’t have time to play
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted "E", but it's not just about scouting out the opposition - I find games a lot more engaging when I'm invested in the outcome. Of course I like to see competitive matches coming down to the wire, dangerous stars dying and good coaches doing their thing, but I mostly watch for entertainment. In team tournaments I also watch the matches my own teammates play when I can, even if there's no way I'm going to play the same opponents.

A lot like watching a real-life team sport I suppose, although none of them interest me enough to spectate the way BB does. Funny how that works.
SpecialOne

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

When I see good coaches play, I come to watch. Maybe I can learn a trick or 2. Or maybe just to see some crazy turn 16 play work.
Kzarik

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I primarily come to watch good coaches play. I aspire to be among them(soon?) and really enjoy when other good coaches are spectating with me. Almost learn more by the listening live than by watching as you get more breakdown of what the reasoning of the move is.

Definitely more interactive when I am watching my league mates play or my FUMBBL friends. The league spectating tends to be a more light hearted atmosphere, but definitely more calls for the BOOT.

I don't have the time or patience to heckle folks so not sure what the motivation is there.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

My league is awesome. AWESOME. AWESOME!!! How can I not watch the giants of the NBFL go head to head against each other? How can I not revel in the pre-game hopes that some young up-and-comer can unseat one of our many legendary coaches? How can I not follow the careers of epic players from hire/draft to grave, or try to speculate which of the bottom-feeders are gonna draft who, or which teams will be scrapped and restarted in the offseason? How can I not chatter on Discord with the other old-timers about which noobz are gonna make it and which are gonna wash out? Not only that, but I've been in the league long enough that I know something about the the stories of all 31 of my league-mates and their teams, and I've seen the evolution of the whole thing over time. With 224 regular-season games per season, I know that I can only catch maybe 10-15 percent of the total, but it's enough to make the narrative fascinating.

I used to watch a lot of replays. Now, if someone brings up an epic event (we had tit-for-tat OTS's at the end of a match not long ago, but I have a soft spot for clears, and would watch those too), sure. And I tend to watch some matches to figure out the book on experienced newcomers. But I don't need "tape" to know how Kryten is gonna play me anymore, you know?

A lot of people watch me too. I suspect it's for the blood. That's really the only thing about my games that is ever entertaining, from a spectator's perspective.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the responses - for the majority it seems to be how I imagined it would be. Three very honest (though anonymous) people there.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

First reason: I want to see top-level play so I can hopefully learn something

Secondary reason: Also quite often I spectate when I don't have the time to play a full game myself, or I'm too drunk ...

Last reason: Or I sometimes spectate to drop into a game and see how those particular teams are getting on. maybe they're famous or I've played them before or they're in my league
Chivite

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

i love spectating as it allows me to get a dose of bloodbowl in my body when i dont have time to play, which is often lately.
So when i watch i do it for entertainment, either good coaches facing each other or famous teams, or teams notorious for their bloodthirst, in no particular order, as it is mood and availability dependant. Having said that i have chosen B) as it is my main reason for spectating games.

I also like spectating games of people that are notorious dice moaners. I find those the most hilarious to spectate
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I like watching 2000+ TV games...they seem more exciting. but I'd have to say all those reasons almost equally are why I spec.

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

where is the choice "When I'm bored and have no pie."?

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2018 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I like watching big teams, really good coaches, and league matches that I know have some history or rivalry going on. That's why NBFL keeps the lion's share of my interest on FUMBBL... but I will also spec tournament matchups of folks I want to cheer on or jeer Razz

But if there is a match with a coach that is really good with a particular team, and I am trying to play that team... I will also go for that. Like Strider and his Khemri (though the last time I watched him annihilate someone, that someone was me... Rolling Eyes ) That is one of my first pieces of advice to someone wanting to learn how to play any type of Blood Bowl: Spectate games on FUMBBL.

Really looking forward to the FUMBBL Cup Final this Sunday. NFL can suck it Cool
doclystria

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2018 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to watch if I have not enough time to play my own game. Then I select in this order:
1. Official tournaments; Majors > NAF Tournaments > others
2. coach rankings: I like to see matches of better coaches than me to learn a bit more of the game
3. Races. For example at the moment I like to watch Mr Malmir playing Slann, bc this race didnt work for me, to get ideas how I get them to work. And Agility Teams over basher, bc bash for me ist more boring to watch.

Sometimes watching is like listening radio for me....
kummo

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2018 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted "a" altho i have many reasons to watch game.

Sometimes i'm bored or am queueing for box and need something to do... opening a game to spectate is one call i make sometimes.

Sometimes i see friend or league mate (or future oppo) play, i click that too.

Sometimes i just see weird matchup... some races create weird matchups.

Sometimes the score seems weird and i want to jump in and look what has happened (altho can't see log during the game but you CAN look at statistics and you can actually turn spectating into replaymode to scroll back! (Thanks to that person who told me that was a feature back in the day!)

And i think i usually go for replays in this but sometimes i see a game going on i was looking for: to see how (usually well ranked) coach approaches certain matchups - to learn or get ideas/new points of views. Usually meaning i will have same racial matchup ahead of me around same tv.
 Jump to: