35 coaches online • Server time: 12:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lamoron

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm thinking of starting a Skaven team, I've allready read the strategy section, but need some advise if anyone has ever tried this.

1 Rat Ogre
2 Storm Vermin
3 Gutter Runners
5 Linerats.

2 RR
8 FF

The idea, is to use one Gutter Runner as Thrower, giving him Sure Hands, Pass as the two first skills, thereby giving me a thrower with AG4 and move to pick up the ball anywhere in my own half of the field in a single turn (and still do something with it afterwards).

Storm Vermins will go for offensive (Claws, MB, Horns, Tackle Etc.)

RO does what it's suppose to, and goes for Block, Claw Etc.

Linerats will be:
2 dedicated to holding the line (Block, Guard) - To help out the RO.
3 dedicated to defence (Tackle, Prehensive Tail, Shadowing, Strip Ball)

I see the first couple of games being tough, and the team can go bye bye with an unlucky first game, but other than that, is the team worth creating?
Freefragger

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I´d say lose the Big guy, and get another lino and an apoth/ another RR. But Gutters as throwers is a nice idea, altho get a "real" thower later on, and don't get Gutters pass on a double, sure hands is fine, as it will help in the first couple of games, and also later on against strip ball
Mully

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't like the gutter runner idea. You will have to roll doubles to get pass and why waste a doubles on pass when you could choose dauntless. horns, or VLL instead.

I'd get a passer and let him do what passers are supposed to do.... throw to the gutters. Also, Id choose tentacles over claw for the RO on doubles. Too much claw and all you'll get to play are bashy teams which will eventually destroy your AV7.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you're counting on an awful lot of doubles to develop this team...why not get a thrower and when he rolls doubles give him Big Hand or something for the 2+ pickup roll?

Not too much point in a Rat Ogre early, he'll be a turnover machine since you'll be using your rerolls for ball and block related die rolls most likely until the team develops a bit.

Skaven linemen die fast, dumping the RO for a lineman and apothecary (and +1FF I think) might be a more solid move.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

1 thrower 2 sv 2 gr 3rr 9 ff 6 linerats
Lamoron

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, very valid arguments, especially about the vast amounts of doubles required, it's just so boring allways playing a team the same way everyone else does it.

Point about RO taken, since the new WA rules, they mostly just spend their time on the ground anyway, when they are not actively causing turnovers that is.

Think I'll change the RO to another reroll, and hope for the best without Apo.

I just thought of this, if I keep the Gutter as Thrower, I can later buy the two regular Throwers, and use them as "improved" Lino's, since they are only 20k extra, and come with Sure Hands, Pass. With Block & Tackle, they would be excellent as defending crew, instead of the Lino's I would have used as defenders.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Lamoron wrote:
it's just so boring allways playing a team the same way everyone else does it.

That's the point, so do it your way.
The rosters leave enough room for experimentation.
And experiments are a better way to learn, than the infinite use of old patterns.
Once, I started a skaven team w/o SV or RO.
Per aspera ad astra
PurpleChair

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 19:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy with my RO. Gave him Pro, now I don't really worry about WA.

If your team doesn't have character, you'll just get bored.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally play them your way, no thrower, surehands gutter is a must and with ma9 you will rarely need the pass anyway, think istart 2 sv 1 gutter ratogre line rats 3 rr 7-9 ff cant quite remeber , its very hard if you get canned before getting a couple more gutters, but not impossiable. Tyr it and find out.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I use to play skavens, and I start with two different teams:
2 Thrw
2Strm Ver
2Gutters
1 RO
4 Linerats
2 RR
7 FF

or...

2 Thrw
2Strm Ver
3Gutters
4 Linerats
2 RR
7 FF
Apho

1st roster is more aggressive, you should buy the apho as soon as posible, but buying the RO at the beggining its nice because it could take block faster and it's hard to save 130ks with an armour 7 team to get it later. With the second roster it's easier to winning your 1st and 2nd matches, and you'll take lower risk buying an apho from the beggining... but when you could get the BRat, your opponets could have BGs with block and stronger teams... it could be hard to give it some spp...

c u around!
Lamoron

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2004 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I also thought about going for every position player except the RO:

2 Storm Vermin
2 Throwers
4 Gutter Runners
3 Linerats

2 RR
9 FF

- Following the original plan for the Gutter "Thrower".
- Two other Gutters do what they allways do.
- One Gutter goes for annoyance skills (Shadowing, Tackle, Pass Block, Diving Tackle Etc.)
- Developing the real Throwers into mean backfielders.
- Using the Linos as LOS fodder.
- Blitzing and surgical strikes with the SV's.

If nothing else, it will be a different team to play against, like my Khemri all Skeleton team and my all TD-based skills Orc team (both tabletop though).
clockbob

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

the sv are ok for blitzing, but thier best purpose is thier acess to guard... use the sv as a support to the gutters the one extra str guard offers can work miracles when youre trying to get a td on defense. another factor you need to consider is that skaven are mainly av7. and almost every game you will almost always have 1-2 players ko'ed or cas. with youre lino's usually being the first out you will have to put youre more important players on the line which will stop youre agressive style of gameplay.

With the high number of gutters where will the rest of your team get any spp? you have a gutter o do all the throwing so no spp's for throwers. your sv might get some for cas but those are few and far between before you get bashing skills. you will rarely have tim to give your lno's tds becuase it take time to get one fo the downfield into the endzone... and you dont have the str to make an effective cage. so you will end up with very skilled gutters and some 1 skill other players. that makes fr a weak team that can be easily beaten with a couple of good blocks or fouls.

My perfered skaven set up inculdes less gutters and more linos.. they need to get skill early to make your team more effective especially kick which helps enourmesly in scoring definsive td's

2sv
2gr
2th
5lino

3rr
9ff
Zhluhur

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that start:
RO
2SV
1thrower
rest Linos FF and re-rolls... works fine as your linos develop and gain skills. If you start with gutters, they suck up SPPs and die too fast.

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

quite a nice idea imo but i would listen to mullys reply a bit though
Tank

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2004 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Lamoron wrote:

The idea, is to use one Gutter Runner as Thrower, giving him Sure Hands, Pass as the two first skills, thereby giving me a thrower with AG4 and move to pick up the ball anywhere in my own half of the field in a single turn (and still do something with it afterwards).

Great idea if you get the roll's needed to gain those skills on the right player. However i'd still develop a dedicated passer, just in case.