48 coaches online • Server time: 14:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Buy a second ghoul?
Yes.
64%
 64%  [ 18 ]
Hell, no.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Apple pie.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Strawberry rhubarb pie.
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 28

Composer99

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The team They Live in Tweed - https://fumbbl.com/p/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=304957

I'm wondering if I should pick up a second ghoul to act as a safety/ball-hawk; developing him with wrestle, tackle, and strip ball.

Ghouls aren't that great on necromantic, and I've got my ghoul ball carrier, so I'm on the fence.

It would be nice to have one additional player for the deeper bench, but maybe a zombie is better in that case. On the other hand, MA 7 AG 3 dodge is just better than what zombies provide.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Ghouls can form 5 roles for necro:

Normal
Ballcarrier (backup or otherwise) - you don't really want a frenzied carrier
Sweeper/wrackler - you don't want to put wrestle on a wolf

Doubles or Stats
Mobile Guard - a ghoul that doubles is an excellent mobile guard in addition to the wights and fleshies, and necro are often guard starved.
One turner/carrier - if you can roll some +MA on a ghoul you have a player you're going to find it easier to push for an ottd because you can utilise the frenzy of *both* wolves in the setup.

There's also the fact that a single ghoul with even only block/wrestle is far more value on the pitch than the two zombies who could replace him.

But it's still a conundrum based on playstyle - no matter which path you take, that second ghoul probably isn't getting fielded for half of each game.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 08:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ghouls can also have Sneaky Git.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly I've drifted away from having ghouls on a necro team but I think it depends on play style. If you are bash heavy - fouls etc, high contact - then they are a soft underbelly and make you vulnerable. Zombies are better flesh walls and can regenerate. If you are more ball play focused then they are very useful.

I think the issues stems from the fact that with 2 ghouls then you have only 3 zombies on the field (the sacrificial lambs, shall we say) which is not much to protect your more important players who then become targets.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2019 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m not good with necros but the good team I faced have usually 1 ghoul
One wolf basher
One wolf ball carrier
The ghoul to back up the second one
The extra movement it provides is good to have

2 ghouls seem unnecessary
Composer99

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2019 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up not getting the second ghoul. I have the one as a ball carrier, and if he doesn't die, after picking up sidestep he'll probably morph into a dual role ball carrier-safety.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2019 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

bancobat wrote:
I’m not good with necros but the good team I faced have usually 1 ghoul
One wolf basher
One wolf ball carrier
The ghoul to back up the second one
The extra movement it provides is good to have

2 ghouls seem unnecessary

I would only ever make a +AG wolf a ball carrier. Ghouls already start with dodge and don't have frenzy - so just 2 skills away from sure hands + blodge and aren't going to follow through into bad situations.

Jump to: