12 coaches online • Server time: 04:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AlphaX

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

If the save after TD is a problem - how about saving the random seed? At least this way if some drops connection after you pull off that amazing TD - you can do it again if you make the same sequence of rolls. It is really annoying to play a game - make a TD which required 6+ rolls only to have the TD go away because the connection is dropped and the game isn't saved.

Also, imho, "skull" should be a 1 and "pow" should be a 6. ...
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see a reason why "pow" is 1 and "skull" is 6 - imagine somebody manipulating the client to roll constant 6 Smile.

-Mnemon

Last edited by Mnemon on %b %25, %2003 - %04:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

If you save the seed then you can predict the rolls for the rest of the game. Imagine knowing what you will roll next. double ones.. throw a two against block. 6's dodge and pickup the ball with your mummy. It is too easy to abuse. Just get the game saving after TD.
AlphaX

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who can manipulate the client to cheat rolls will have die sync errors - and they would be better suited to do what cjohnsto suggests (predict the dice rolls).

Knowing the seed wont tell you the results unless you have the randomizer algorythm too. The seed could be "encrypted" in the save file. (The whole save file could be encrypted for that matter.)
AlphaX

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone who can manipulate the client to cheat rolls will have die sync errors - and they would be better suited to do what cjohnsto suggests (predict the dice rolls).

Knowing the seed wont tell you the results unless you have the randomizer algorythm too. The seed could be "encrypted" in the save file. (The whole save file could be encrypted for that matter.)
cjohnsto

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2003 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you can decompile java it would no be hard to find the key to the encryption. And the algorithm I assume is the default one java uses. Heck I know I could hack the client but am not even going to try for obvious reasons. Besides I don't play to win by cheating, I would recieve no enjoyment whatsoever. BUT some people would. I just hope they don't have the skills required.
 Jump to: