16 coaches online • Server time: 07:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Based on the enclosed stadium rules, can a ball scatter outside the pitch on kick-off?
Yes.
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
No.
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

Eczemabeard

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

So last weekend a game was played in our local micro league. The game played in a special stadium (luxury stadium, 4), which states '[fluff fluff no crowd push] [i]n addition, the ball cannot scatter out of play; if it does, it bounces back. Return it using the Throw-in template as normal, but only move it D3 spaces rather than 2D6 spaces.'

The ensuing discussion on WhatsApp was [s]look bf[/s] edit: long and stubborn, so let's hear what a community greater than 5.5 individuals had to say on the matter.

Last edited by Eczemabeard on Mar 21, 2019 - 09:40; edited 2 times in total
WizardX11

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 08:34 Reply with quote Back to top

It actually says the ball cannot scatter out of play
tmoila

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

If it can't scatter outside the pitch, then only way touchback occurs is when the ball comes into rest in kicking team's side of the pitch.

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Derive the rule to the fluff: The rule is due to the stadium being enclosed, that is, being more of a dome than an open stadium. Hence, when the ball is kicked, thrown or otherwise out of field, it bounces back, which is simulated by a D3. Unless some special rule says the stadium is temporarily open during kick-off, the no-scatter rule holds.

However, I would presume that the kick-off procedure might become a bit odd as a result, as coaches place the ball in bottom row / corner of the opponent's field.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 09:42 Reply with quote Back to top

As above.
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Lill-Leif wrote:
Derive the rule to the fluff: The rule is due to the stadium being enclosed

Still, the tournament organiser could rule that a legal kick off must first bounce in the receiving team's half of the pitch.

I would rule that if the ball were going to land out as per the kick procedure, a touchback occurs. If it lands on a sideline square and subsequently bounces out it is a legal kick and instead use the bounce rules as specified in the OP.
Eczemabeard

Post 6 Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

pokrjax wrote:
a sideline square ...

... in a pitch that has walls on the side lines there are no side lines, only walls. Unless some intrepid dorf has seen fit to whitewash said wall.

The only rule associated with this stadium is the ball can't scatter out of bounds. After placing the ball on the pitch, the kicking coach rolls 1D8+1D6 to scatter the ball. So that is the same verb and extends the rule to kick-off.

Had it said bounce/dropped, things would have been a lot different.

Needless to say, I'm saving up for a stadium like this.

Imagine the precision placement with Kick!
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not in keeping with the fluff for me. If the kick was wildly off target (ie. due to 'land' off the pitch) it would potentially hit the stadium wall high up and bounce crazily, in a different fashion to the d3 bounce in rule given and so the rule does not best represent this scenario. Therefore I would still interpret the rule as above, requiring the first bounce of the ball in the receiver's half for a kick to count as legal and not result in a touchback.
Eczemabeard

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

In that logic, why does a ball in the hands of a player being pushed out of bounds scatter d3 where 1 would be more logical?
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Mar 21, 2019 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Players can't be pushed out of bounds as per the op.
 Jump to: