27 coaches online • Server time: 05:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jonno

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I'd like to ask your advice about something.

Next month I'll be attenting Good Karma in Ã…rhus in Denmark, and the meta is sort of weird. It's TV 1000 with tiers and CRP PO is in play.

Skills can be stacked, but only for tiers 4 and lower, so I assume there will be quite a bit of humans, nurgle and chaos...

I don't play any of those teams. My choice is between dark elves, skaven, slann, pro or WE/HE.

What team would do best in this meta/against these opponents?

The meta is as below...

Ground rules
BB2016 + latest Death Zone (for more information, see tournament rules from The NAF: https://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Rules-for-NAF-Tournaments-2019.pdf)
Piling on follows CRP rules
Special Play Cards from the competition rules pack will be used.

Creating teams
You get 1,000,000 gp to start a team.
Goblins can buy 0-3 Bribes for 50K and Halfling can buy a Master Chef for 100K.
Other inducements are not allowed for the basic team.

The teams are divided into how strong they are considered.

Tier 1:
Undead, Wood elf, Amazon, Lizards.
80K for skills

Tier 2:
Chaos dwarf, Norse, Dark elf, Necromantic, Bretonnians, Dwarf
100k for skills

Tier 3:
Orc, Elf union, Skaven, Chaos Pact.
120k for skills

Tier 4
High elf, Khemri, Slann, Human, khorne
150k for skills
1 player can have 2 skill progressions.

Tier 5
Chaos, Nurgle, Underworld, Vampires.
170k for skills
1 player can have 2 skill progressions.

Tier 6
Goblin, Halfling, Ogre.
200k for skills
2 players can have 2 skill progressions.

You get a $ value to buy skill and stats depending on one's tier.
The prices are like their skill-value according to the rule book.

Prices are 20 k for a normal skill, 30k for a double skill or + AV and MA, 40k for +AG and 50k for +ST.

At tier 0, 1, 2 and 3 no player must be awarded more than 1 "skill" progression per. player.
Tier 4 and 5 can give one player 2 skill progressions, tier 6 can give two players 2 skill progressions. At the same time, no player must have more than MA 9. Skills must be "purchased" prior to tournament.
Weresquid

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Id go dark elves, you start with decent skills and can get some blodge to survive the chaos/nurgle, a tackle if you want one, and including a leader runner you’d be able to afford 2 rr and an apo.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure you need to worry about po/mb combo never going to be more than one except Ogre and I doubt they will use it even if there are any.

I would deal with it by fouling.

Dark Elf look good value at tier 3.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah tier 2 but still good value.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Darkelves are usually great value in 1000k gold rules packs.
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven with 120k worth of skills could be pure win.
Block x2, wrestle, and SS on the gutters, Tackle, and Grab on the blitzers, and you should be able to cover most of your bases from game one, including almost automatic one turning.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks to be an unusual tier system. I'm slightly surprised P'goo would have approved it for NAf, but it is up to people to choose which race they use.
Some of those reasonable teams in tiers 4 and 5 looks tempting due to all the skill points available. They could even take something like an ag increase. But having said that I agree with Antithesis as Skaven being a great choice as they should not be down in tier 3.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

It’s far from the most... ‘creative’ tiering system we’ve ever seen and there are no extreme house rules mentioned. So I’m not surprised it was approved.

I’m always looking for opportunities to take competitive Vampires, myself, so that would tempt me. Skaven are less good in the format than many think, so I’m not surprised they appear in tier three here, although I wouldn’t have been knocked over if they were T2.
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2019 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm far from an expert; are there other limitations on taking +stats? it's unusual to not have more restrictions on taking +stats so I ask.
I'd lean toward taking HE with all the bonus points they have for free.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Since you have Slann, and this is one of the rare rules packs where Slann actually don't suck, if I were you, I'd go Slann. Smile Having played many games with Agility races on Fumbbl during the POMB days, I can assure you 1 POMBer isn't a game breaker if you know how to handle him. It's 3+ POMBers with Tackle that get kinda annoying. Wink
jonno

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your replies, all. I had given serious thoughts to taking slann, but I think I'll end up taking skavens. I actually have vampires as well, but four games with vampires seems as potentially frustrating as fun.

@Verminado I'm sure you're right. But what is the correct way to handle him, then?
Bram

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin wrote:
I'm far from an expert; are there other limitations on taking +stats? it's unusual to not have more restrictions on taking +stats so I ask.
I'd lean toward taking HE with all the bonus points they have for free.

High elves look interesting.

One blitzer with tackle and mighty blow.

One lineman with kick.

One catcher with sidestep.

One catcher with wrestle and strip ball.

One catcher with dodge.

Or something along that line...
KhorneliusPraxx

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Halflings!

"Win if you can...lose if you must...but always foul."

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jonno wrote:
@Verminado I'm sure you're right. But what is the correct way to handle him, then?

Well, the idea is to position in a way that blitzing with the POMBer will leave him at a positional disadvantage. So if he wants to really advance / block your advance, he needs to blitz with someone else. Remember that a POMBer who just POMBed is a POMBer with 3 less movement. And often your opponent will protect him from fouls at the cost of positional disadvantage.

You can also put the available targets in places where he can't really follow up if he doesn't want to get fouled next turn, so he'll have to retreat after the blitz. Or as Slann maybe you can lock him down with your Kroxigor.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2019 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go High Elves. 2 Blitzers, 1 Catcher, 8 Linemen, 3 RR.