57 coaches online • Server time: 23:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Cindy is back?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Cherry-picking is more of a thing during the busy hours. I usually don't log on before 7pm my time (California), which is 04:00 server time. When I do, there's often nobody there, and if someone shows up, we come up with a match pretty fast, because the alternative is indefinite waiting.

Funny enough, it takes me a lot longer to get a match when I log in earlier in the day. There might be 2-4 other coaches on, and several suggested matchups. I greenlight everything that looks like a good fight, and then I wait ... and wait ... sometimes somebody will suggest an awful lopsided match as an alternative, and then we either compromise, or have a silent test of wills.

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

My Cherry-picking in R is usually informed by a few factors:

It depends on the team and my interest at the time. I have teams built for "fun" (non-competitive) and some built for tournaments, so I'll aim to get a fair challenge for either. Newer coaches I will often activate teams that aren't so dangerous and basically give me a handicap, so it's a more enjoyable experience for them.

In terms of interest, I often activate on gamefinder when I feel like having a fun match over one that's hard and competitive (there's box for that after all right?) so I'm looking sometimes for coaches I know share the same philosophy and can have a good chat while playing.

So, sorry Mr. 240TV chorf coach who only greenlights my elves/rats/all-rotters at a large TV difference and not my Orcs who are closer, and appears that they've never played a match in the box...will have to leave that box unchecked.

That being said, I do often suggest Black Box to newer coaches in the 145 - a lot depends on the coach. A fair amount of coaches are directed to the 145 because it's a standard default for new coaches but it's not for everyone - many branch off into SL, Box or Ranked play and don't enjoy the 145 at all.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Rbthma wrote:
My Cherry-picking in R is usually informed by a few factors:

It depends on the team and my interest at the time. I have teams built for "fun" (non-competitive) and some built for tournaments, so I'll aim to get a fair challenge for either. Newer coaches I will often activate teams that aren't so dangerous and basically give me a handicap, so it's a more enjoyable experience for them.

In terms of interest, I often activate on gamefinder when I feel like having a fun match over one that's hard and competitive (there's box for that after all right?) so I'm looking sometimes for coaches I know share the same philosophy and can have a good chat while playing.

So, sorry Mr. 240TV chorf coach who only greenlights my elves/rats/all-rotters at a large TV difference and not my Orcs who are closer, and appears that they've never played a match in the box...will have to leave that box unchecked.

That being said, I do often suggest Black Box to newer coaches in the 145 - a lot depends on the coach. A fair amount of coaches are directed to the 145 because it's a standard default for new coaches but it's not for everyone - many branch off into SL, Box or Ranked play and don't enjoy the 145 at all.

New user experience is a tough nut to crack.

First we have new comers with different things that make them tick.

For some, being thrown into the fray without any clue of how to navigate it at first is a thrill. For others, it would benefit them to learn the basics of the client, the game, etc etc in a cordoned off area with some handholding.

The thing that needs to be done and which is hard to do is qualify the new comer's expectations for a game, how they approach games in general, how they learn games, etc etc.

For myself, I spend a lot of time brute forcing Blood Bowl hoping to stumble into good things by accident or unearth uncoventional things that are good. It has been a long road that I don't imagine a lot of other coaches who are oriented towards personal mastery of a game would suffer through.

Maybe we should create a new coaching questionnaire and form to help guide them?
Bloodfeast

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

My latest match was a cherry pick! My next opponent in the RRR for my khemris is Norse so I needed the same matchup and found it after maybe two hours of waiting :/

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik's answer = perfect.

If a new coach wants to avoid being picked/trashed, he should just try to play only against veterans or emerging stars, maybe try a star every now and then. Of course also avoid teams with about 3+ claw+mb - players or 6+ mb, something like that.

My Cherry picking activity is mostly motivated by team building. Sometimes it's preparation for a major tournament, and sometimes it's more about me being too lazy or tired to play a more challenging game atm.

All of it is of course pretty stupid, since building up teams in soft matches doesn't gain the coaching exp. needed for the tough games - it only provides the pixels.

That's why i accepted the challenge to exclusively play superstars and legends with my Undead, until having 5 wins in the last 10 such games with them. I am thinking of starting a "accept every challenge" with another team soon.
PainState

Post   Posted: May 09, 2019 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Waaghafalga wrote:
I have noticed that people tend to cherry pick the best matchups in ranked. What do you look for in a favorable matchup? what are your favorite matchups? What matchup do you avoid at all cost? Is Black box actually a better choice for inexperienced coaches to learn the game as they will have to learn to take all comers rather than learn to pick the easiest matchups?

Here is the bottom line because, well, I said so.

The best matches to cherry pick are the ones where you are the favorite "racially" in. Playing dwarfs VS zons or Lizard vs Human as examples, the list is long.

New coaches do not know of this dynamic of Blood Bowl. They will accept a match as their zons against dwarfs because they really do not know any better and experienced coaches will take advantage of that.

NOTE: that dynamic will also occur in the BOX but the difference is that the new coach will not learn that the match up is very poor and either quit FUMBBL or quit the BOX because of poor match up dynamics he will read in the forums.

IMO that is the #1 learning curve a new coach needs to come to grips with and understand. It took me around 100 games on FUMBBL back in the day to understand the racial component of this game.

SO

An experienced coach will ALLWAYS avoid a bad racial match up. Regardless of TV, Coach rank or any thing else. The only exception to this is if he actually clicks the coach link to the challenger and sees he has only played 200 or less games or so on FUMBBL. Then the experienced coach will always accept a unfavorable racial match up. Because he is confident that coach skill will override the racial in balance.

Side note: how do you think flings and gobos get winning records early in their team history in Ranked?

Thus

The best place for new coaches to learn this racial dynamic going on is Ranked it is the best place to play to figure this out.

IF

a new coach wants to go hard core mode then he plays ranked, selects every possible team he can play against in the ranked game finder after he puts up his team and accept who ever hits yes.

after about 50 or so games he will then begin to understand the racial match up issues of Blood Bowl and learn not to do that ever again for 50 games. He would of been better off over in the Box where his next game is at the least against a team who has no idea what you are bringing to the match.