32 coaches online • Server time: 09:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jäärä

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2020 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it still possible to join Blackbox Trophy? I try to designate a squad, but it seems not to be working...
smallman

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2020 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

i remember that it likes some browsers better than others, make sure you have 4 teams that have not played any games
TheFear

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2020 - 15:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I've looked at entering in both season 1 and 2. The number of game required has put me off because I wouldn't want to start unless I'm sure to finish. 100 games seems more doable for me.
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2020 - 18:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations Joost and Malmir for posting two great scores! Still so close at the top, with only 0.5 points in it the racial leads could still decide it...

I got to 50 games recently, with 42.5 points so lagging a little behind, will need a good run to get into contention. Started with too many draws, then was going nicely for a while, then ouch - 7 games out of 10 vs bloody dwarfs! At the halfway point:

Da Blak Spydaz (Underworld): Won 8, Drawn 3 Lost 3. I decided the Trophy this season would be a good opportunity to try a new team, and plumped for Underworld to get a few bonus points for their low rating. Regretted it early on, they are pretty weak then although they had some bad luck. Since then with skilled blitzers and a smattering of other mutations I've found they become an awful lot better though, enjoying this lot Smile

Hag Graef Super Hags (Dark Elf) Won 8 Drawn 1 Lost 0. Well taking dark elfs was a bit of a no-brainer at their discounted cost this season. No stand-out players but with a bit of blodge they are so good - have done well.

Slannted and Enchanted (Slann) Won 8 Drawn 3 Lost 3. Below my usual standards for slann, but man have they had the run from hell. 4 of those games have been against dwarfs, another 2 against chaos dwarfs, no easy races in the rest either. Dwarfs are horrible for low tv slann, you painstakingly get a few catchers with dodge and a lino with strip ball... all rendered completely useless again mass tackle and a sure hands ballcarrier! They held their own, considering their draws they have done ok, but still lost points compared to the leaders.

Thor's Thanes (Norse) Won 7 Drawn 4 Lost 2 Not bad but not quite good enough to match the leaders, a few too many draws to date. Have picked up a bit since though...

So I'll need to get a run together to have another shot at the title I reckon. Enjoying it as ever though, especially finding a new team. The Blackbox Trophy is great for encouraging those Tier 2 and 3 teams! I reckon it's come full-circle now, we need a new competition to encourage ClawPomb and control the proliferation of those little beardy b******s Very Happy
Joost

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2020 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

TheFear wrote:
I've looked at entering in both season 1 and 2. The number of game required has put me off because I wouldn't want to start unless I'm sure to finish. 100 games seems more doable for me.

I had the same problem. However, I focused on a few races hoping to compete for a racial lead the first two years, which enabled me to participate in the fun even if I couldn’t finish the run. Sub goals like that might help.
Thoriin

Post 18 Posted: Apr 14, 2020 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

The one thing Malmir won't lose, it's his first place for naming his teams and players.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2020 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Thoriin wrote:
The one thing Malmir won't lose, it's his first place for naming his teams and players.

You try coming up with 16 different teams and names, having already had a lot of teams. Plus someone moaned and tried to get me banned about my team names in run three, so run four was just for them... Wink Seriously, I thought whoever suggested resetting teams that are used only for the trophy had a damn good point. I'm on my third season now and inspiration is lacking unless a doofus helps me out.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2020 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Always available for team names and themes! Just PM.

Post   Posted: Apr 14, 2020 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Thoriin wrote:

You try coming up with 16 different teams and names, having already had a lot of teams. Plus someone moaned and tried to get me banned about my team names in run three, so run four was just for them... Wink Seriously, I thought whoever suggested resetting teams that are used only for the trophy had a damn good point. I'm on my third season now and inspiration is lacking unless a doofus helps me out.

I still think this was one of the most strange coincidences I've seen in fumbbl. Both our first games Smile

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4113456
krazeeEyezKilla

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2020 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I have completed my 1st (ever) Box Trophy run. My score is nowhere near the top, but I surpassed my personal goal of 60 points - I ended up with 61.5! I think the Box Trophy has made me a much better coach. I've had a much easier time finding games at off-peak hours due to the Trophy. I'm thankful for both! My Ogres did much better than expected, my Vampires sucked (pun intended Wink).

The Norse went 9/11/5. They finished their last 5 (2/3/0 since the half-way point) games well against some very strong coaches (2 Legends and 3 Stars). They are clearly a very good team at under 1500TV. I did about as well as I expected with Norse, but overall find them pretty boring. I like building teams with with thematic skill choices (for example featuring SF or grab/frenzy). Norse really don't allow "fun" builds without suffering - both in terms of wins and player safety.

Elven Union were average all the way to a 9/7/9 record. After starting 5/0/0 they fell apart a bit. My best elf Catcher (+ag +s Wrestle Leap) died in his 2nd game after getting a strenght boost. Surprisingly my record improved after he died - 4/3/2. I even scored my first OTT with these buggers. Elves can be frustrating and exhilirating from game to game and even turn to turn.

Ogres were really fun and went 7/7/11 - MUCH better than I expected. It was my first time playing a stunty team (outside of Secret League). I went with Tackle over Block for my first 2 doubles on 2 Ogres. I'm not sure Tackle is a better choice than Block, but I don't think its obviously worse...and its a lot more fun!

The Vamps, oh my, the Vamps. I'm generally decent with Vamps so very disappointed in my 7/4/14 result. I experimented with an apparently bad strategy of going without an apothecary for most of the run. This was a terrible idea as I lost 4 Vampires to death/retirement in my first 7 matches! I ended up playing 10 of the 25 matches at sub-1k TV and low TV Vamps are pretty horrible - especially with only 1 or 2 actual Vampires. Their last 5 games went much better at 3/1/1 - once they had an apo + 2 blodge + 1 dodge (eventually blodge) Vampires.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently 6 guys tied for 3rd... I think you'll need a bigger podium. Laughing
lautrehamon

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I finished my third run two days ago, and I'm very happy with the result as I end up tie for third place with five great coaches.

Skavens : https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=950455 :
23 points, 18/5/2 for the racial lead (at least for now)
Not much to say, rats are great from the start and I'm comfortable with them. Start without rat-ogre, then play 16 games with him : both set-up work I guess. Had a natural one turner quite quickly and that helps for sure.

Ogres :https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=950458
22 points, 18/3/4
Now that one racial lead might just stick Smile I hoped that disposable would made ogres more competitive in the box and that's certainly the case. The Golgoths start with a win in the RRR (nice format for ogres) after a lucky final https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4140080 ; after that I got a good run of 20 games without injured ogres and I was able to field 16 players and 6 ogres nearly all games, which was key for my plan of fouling a lot with gnoblars . Also, I didn't play much agility team (2 elves and 1 rats for 1 draw and 2 loss) which could be terrible for ogres. Those ogres had a few lucky last turn wins, and were really challenging and fun to play all the way.

High Elf https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=952376
20 points, 15/5/5
A decent score, especially after a 3/3/5 start. I heard Malmir in the podcast recommanding to play with all 4 catchers, I followed that plan ASAP, and that made them really better.

Khemri https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=952056
17,5 points, 12/6/7

A medium score, looks like I can't play khemri right as I naturally focus on hitting too much, and those need to be more focus on ball protection and ground progression.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

lautrehamon wrote:
A decent score, especially after a 3/3/5 start. I heard Malmir in the podcast recommanding to play with all 4 catchers, I followed that plan ASAP, and that made them really better.

I should really shut up, as you nearly took my racial lead, but on the other hand, listen to the podcast people!
Joost

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="lautrehamon"]I finished my third run two days ago, and I'm very happy with the result as I end up tie for third place with five great coaches.

Ogres :https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=950458
22 points, 18/3/4
Now that one racial lead might just stick Smile I hoped that disposable would made ogres more competitive in the box and that's certainly the case. The Golgoths start with a win in the RRR (nice format for ogres) after a lucky final https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4140080 ; after that I got a good run of 20 games without injured ogres and I was able to field 16 players and 6 ogres nearly all games, which was key for my plan of fouling a lot with gnoblars . Also, I didn't play much agility team (2 elves and 1 rats for 1 draw and 2 loss) which could be terrible for ogres. Those ogres had a few lucky last turn wins, and were really challenging and fun to play all the way.

quote]

Tremendous run with the Ogres mate, even if it cost me my racial lead and the lead in the total standings Mad .

Now go steal one of Malmir's! Wink
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2020 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Working on it. Wink
 Jump to: