43 coaches online • Server time: 18:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I am new here and quite excited to be able to play online (while painting my orcs).

I have been having some issues with the fact that my browser (Firefox) no longer supports java. As a result, I can't spectate or play a game.

I have searched on the forum and on the Internet but I can't seem to find a way out of this problem. I have tried other browsers but the fact that java is no longer supported with the big ones seems to lead my effort to a dead end.

So (especially to Linux users): What browser are you running? How did you do to manage the .jnlp files?

I hope to join you soon!

Thanks,

DrBomb
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I am now using Chrome. I don't know if that would work for you? I also got a lot of help in the fumbbl discord channel: try there!

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Oracle discontinued support for Java Web Start and removed it from official Java distributions starting with Java 11. If you want to use Oracle java, could try to install version 8 or 9.
I believe that Oracle licensepolicy changes means you now have to install Oracle Java by downloading it from their website.
(I run Oracle java 11 with webstart version 8. Works fine for both Chrome and Firefox).

Or perhaps use OpenJDK/icedtea instead.

EDIT:

Remember to set Oracle as the default java:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

(I just remembered tha the client might not work with OpenJDK).
DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2019 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your replies.

I have installed Chrome (featured in both your answers) and enabled javascript in its options. I have also installed java 8 and set it as default:

sudo update-alternatives --config java
There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java 1101 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java 1101 manual mode
* 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1081 manual mode

Unfortunately, the problem persists. How did you do to get Chrome use your java web start?

Apologies if this seems very noob-ish, but I can't seem to find anything useful and have already read a large number of pages and tried many things. I do appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance,

DrBomb
DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

OK, so it actually works on Chrome for me. I don't know why though (and perhaps it's better this way).

I was diagnosing failure yesterday upon testing for java on https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-java-installed whereas I just found out that I can see games (with the big white bar at the bottom---known problem due to Gnome!) despite the above website telling me java is not enabled in my Chrome.

All good, or nearly, then. I'll be with you on the pitch soon (in club 145 to start with).

Thanks,

DrBomb
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Opera or PaleMoon, they should work!

DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear awambawamb,

Thanks for your answer.

I also have Opera installed and confirm that I can watch games with it but that the white bottom bar is still there. It prevents me from seeing some of the game data (rerolls and apothecaries, I think) and also prevents me from using the chat.

DrBomb
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2019 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

You can still use the chat, just have to tab to it. And you can't see what you write. Or if the tabbing to it worked and you're writing at all...

I blame all my typing errors on that.

Also, ta for the headsup on the firefox thing. I use that exclusively for fumbbl, as I can't get it to work under chrome... now I know not to update firefox anymore :p
DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2019 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

Just to say that the problem is solved. The solution is... well, I don't know. Firefox didn't allow me to join matches while Chrome does. I am still confused as to what I did to get there.

Anyway, the only issue is the white bar at the bottom. If you have this issue, to chat:
-select some text from the match log
-press Tab twice
-type the text you want to appear in the chat (you won't see it) and press enter to publish

Thanks for your answers,

DrBomb
det

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2019 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi!
to remove white bar on older machines with ubuntu 16.04 LTS there was the hack to unset a parameter in the javaws file, it was something like this:

rename the javaws file to javaws-mod

then create a new text file, named javaws, in the same folder as the original file, with the following two lines:

unset -v GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID
./javaws-mod

save the file, make it executable and have the .jnlp default to that for opening.

This is what I have written around but there were a couple of threads down the line that helped tons, try a search on the forum..I'll give it a shot in the next few days if I can dig up the ones that actually worked for me.
DrBomb

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2019 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear det,

Thanks for this. I will look into it and test it asap.

DrBomb
 Jump to: