36 coaches online • Server time: 16:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
F on what face?
FUMBBL belongs on the 1
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
FUMBBL means 6!
50%
 50%  [ 22 ]
I don't care but expect a button to press
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 44

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 11:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I want to get some FUMBBL branded D6's for TEAM FUMBBL to give away and advertise FUMBBL at the UKTC VI and there is one burning question i seek opinions on.

If you had a FUMBBL D6, would you expect the stylised 'F' FUMBBL logo to be on the 6, or the 1 face.

Myself I think of it as a natural for the 1, but in general I dislike rolling d6's and not seeing a 6 as a good result, and would rather have any picture/logo on the 1. But is that just me? Most dice in Table Top BB have logo's for the 6.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Common convention is the logo goes on the 6. putting it on the 1 is a sure fire way to accidentally cheat when you dont remember that these dice are different from all the others!
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 11:50
FUMBBL Staff

I once played a game where the dice he rolled meant 'poppy' and 'one legged man' was 12.

I mean, the 6 is important, it should have a six on it. the one is snake eyes, its where a logo should go. Right?

Last edited by PurpleChest on Nov 07, 2019 - 20:31; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Associating your brand with failure doesn't sound like great advertising to me. Wink

Fumbbl is a winner! Six all the way.

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Does the logo make it more likely the dice come up as logo or not logo? You can tell from this borderline cheating that it's good that I don't play tabletop.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It's true that normally the logo is displayed on the "6" side but in this particular case I think that engraving it on the "1" side would be more fitting.
For example, when trying to pass the ball the "F" would immediately suggest fumble, and more generally, "F" for failure.
Moreover, in the Fumbbl's "F" logo are shown "1" dots all over the logo die, so seems more logical to use it as "1" side.
stowelly

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
It's true that normally the logo is displayed on the "6" side but in this particular case I think that engraving it on the "1" side would be more fitting.
For example, when trying to pass the ball the "F" would immediately suggest fumble, and more generally, "F" for failure.
Moreover, in the Fumbbl's "F" logo are shown "1" dots all over the logo die, so seems more logical to use it as "1" side.

This makes a lot of sense. consider me convinced it should be on the 1 side! (already voted the other way...)
razmus

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I've struggled with logo dice anyway... but they've been a thing since I've come back to gaming, so it's something I'll live with. I do have a strong preference for logos on the 'six' side... because they tend to be the same size as the six would have been and I recognize the logo as the six immediately. I assume it would be undesirable to make FUMBBL logo the same size as a single pip. :-/

Eisenherz

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I never raged more about 1s than on fumbbl - so yes, it should be on the 1 side, not the six.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 15:15
FUMBBL Staff

For what it's worth, this was a talking point when we did "official" FUMBBL d6es as well some time ago. It ended with a mix of dice being produced in both variants back then.

Personally, I am partial to the F logo in place of the 1. The site name is effectively a play on the word "fumble" which is a 1 roll, and the die graphic depicts a die with all ones. Having it different is also slightly better from a PR perspective. The dice are more memorable.

But yes, I understand that breaking that norm can cause confusion.

Come to think of it though.. Maybe the sets should have one of each as a compromise? Wink
Throweck

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played at tourneys with the F on the one. And it is really confusing for the opponent and is open to accidentally cheating. I got confused myself!

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 20:30
FUMBBL Staff

I never thought people actually used such dice, just collected them. I have a bag of such unused gift dice. I have some lovely purple ones I actually roll.

Also, 16mm right? it seems 15mm is common too. Does it matter? I know 22mm feel huge and 12mm tiny, but is 16/15 an issue?

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2019 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's just settle on 22mm with the logo on every side!
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Nov 08, 2019 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

stowelly wrote:
Let's just settle on 22mm with the logo on every side!

Instead of 1-6 dots, replace that with the fumbbl logo!

I have a set of 40K dice that have bullet holes in p[lace of the dots.

Jump to: