54 coaches online • Server time: 23:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Linemen (Zmb/Skel) vs. Ghoul Ratio
5 zombies - 2 ghouls
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
4 zombies - 3 ghouls
61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
3 zombies - 4 ghouls
33%
 33%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 21

johniemi78

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2019 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

What is the optimal number of linemen (Zombie/Skeleton) vs. Ghouls for Shambling Undead? I currently have 11 players and of those:

2 Mummies (Guard, Block) + (Guard)
2 Wights (Guard, MB) + (Guard, Dodge)
2 Ghouls (Block, AG+1) + (Guard, Sidestep)
5 Zombies (no skills)

Team is a redrafted last season team and thus to keep the top 6 players, I had to fire 2 2nd lvl ghouls. I am planning to buy a 3rd ghoul after 1-2 games and skill him up as a sacker and then buy a 4th ghoul after 3-4 games for backup. I think I can get 2-3 levels on the 3rd ghoul and maybe 1-2 levels for the 4th before the season ends.

Playing in a local league with pretty variable opponent races (I think there are two Lizardman teams but other than that pretty variable). Don't use any skeletons because of low AV but that's not the point of this post Smile

Sooo... the short question; how many ghouls on the field at one time?

I used to play with four ghouls on the field all the time last season and it went ok (didn't lose until in the semifinals to an opponent I win 75% of our friendly matches) but I had problems with ghouls getting stun/KO and twice cas in some difficult match ups (like the semifinal loss where 3 ghouls were out after 1st drive), so would I be better off protecting them with more linemen? Or is the permanent or temporary loss of 2-3 ghouls per game just normal for Undead?

Long post, sorry, but wanted to be more specific about my team and it's needs. Thanks Smile
Tomay

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2019 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

4. Ghouls are awesome and very good value.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2019 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I like to play with 1 Ghoul ball carrier + 2 Ghouls to protect him on offence, while they act as sackers during defence keeping the ball carrier safe (on my Undead team I have 4 Ghouls right now but it's an experiment).
With 3 Ghouls I can move along a side line and form a half-cage when advancing through the middle is impossible, that happens more often at mid-high TV while at low TV Undead generally can bash their way to endzone.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2019 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I try not to play with all 4 ghouls on the pitch at once. But my ranked undead in CRP did very well only having 1 ghoul hired - easy enough to protect just one ghoul, but I also got MA on a wight. My league undead had purchased all 4 ghouls by their second match - ghouls are especially amazing at low tv.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2019 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

In the team I'd like 4 for the reasons given by Tomay. I might not play all 4 at the same time though. Defence = 3 zombies on the line, a dp, 2 wight, 2 mummies....that's 8 already so....
Joe1982

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2019 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I play with 3, but as TV goes up it gets harder to score against bash, as MattDakka says. I am considering buying a 4th and putting catch on one (both my main undead teams have +AG wight). A running screen with a legitimate pass option might be better at high TV against bash in some cases. I think though I'd still often only put 3 ghouls on the field, for the reasons harvestmouse gives - need a couple of DP zombies on an undead team.
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2019 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

At low to mid TV definitely take all 4 ghouls. They are only 30k more than a zombie, and for that you get +3MA, Ag3 and Dodge. Ok Av7 but that isn't such a big deal - they blodge up very quickly, you can protect them a bit, and even if you lose one or two you should have cheap zombie subs. What else are you going to do with the cash anyway - field zombies? They are rubbish compared to ghouls and you need players to run a screen.

At high TV the ghouls do get more vulnerable and there is an argument there to take three, or at least only field three against some teams... But I think I'd still take four in the squad, because they are good value and honestly what else is there to buy?
 Jump to: