27 coaches online • Server time: 10:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I have started a few odd-ball threads but am new to the FUMBBL community. Now that I have started a team, I have a question for you FUMBBL experts out there - I am a Blood Bowl veteran and have been playing the game since it first came out. However, I am new to FUMBBL and to the prospect of playing many more games with the same team than I ever did in table-top. I have picked up some of the basic differences such as playing with less position players at first to get lineman skills up, maxing out FF, and so on. I think I have a decent grasp of the differences in the team building aspect, but have no idea about potential differences in team development. I am wary of making any 'FUMBBL rookie' mistakes in other areas I may not have thought about.

For example: I have started an Orc team and after the second game I skilled up a Lineman with Kick, a Blitzer with Strip Ball, and hired a fourth Black Orc. Now I know these aren't bad choices, especially given that I want to slant my team towards defense, but I got to thinking afterwards that maybe these were some short-sighted selections? The better long-term choices would have been Block and Guard, and I'm not sure about the fourth Black Orc - maybe I should have waited and bought another reroll to keep my TS down? Maybe I am just over-analyzing things - I tend to do that. Smile But let me know what you think...

You can check out my team at:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=100809

Any expert advice on making the transition from table-top to FUMBBL, especially as it applies to differences in team development, would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, if you are really bored or if you enjoy analyzing things as much as I do you can watch my replays. Smile My first game was terrrible and the second game was pretty lop-sided, but any advice on my Orc play is very welcome as I have been playing agility teams for a long time and haven't played Orcs in years...)

- Ansbach
Sparta

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I'm not a veteran but if it was my orcs I would have sacrificed anything else to start with 4 blitzers.

Strip ball might have been my 2nd or 3rd skill for a blitzer or two. In my opinion there are som necessary skills that should be bought before strip ball and similar skills.

These are [of course exceptions should be made for doubles and stat inc.]:

Black Orcs: 1) block 2) Mighty blow or guard 3) Mighty blow or guard
Blitzers: 1) Mighty blow, tackle or guard 2) see 1 3) Other stuff [stripball and such)
Lineorcs: Block, tackle, kick, DP and strength skills when rolling doubles
Throwers: All throwing skills + block

But that is just my way to do it. With easy access to guard I would go for tackle rather then strip ball but that all depends...
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there Ansbach...

perhaps you had already seen this, but to fill you in on the orthodoxy of skill choices, take a look at this thread.

It's funny, swapping between tabletop and FUMBBL... the general tenets remain the same, of course, but I find I am more aggressive setting up blocks and so on on FUMBBL than at a table.

Hence I am better on fumbbl! Laughing

best of luck... play hard! you may also want to join a tournament or two! if you are Aussie or New Zealander, I recommend the swl!

Covertfun.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I am not a tabletop veteran too, but I have played more than 200 games here on fumbbl...

I would always give block as first skill to any player without it.
Regarding Strip Ball, I do not agree with Sparta. Strip ball is good as a first skill choice, and this is why: as a third skill, you will probably get it when all your opponent throwers and catchers have sure hands. If you take it as a first skill, coupled with block it can be very effective in defending.

Disclaimer: Jan_Mattys never played orcs. Wink

General Note: If Jan_Mattys would play orcs, he would go for block/guard on everybody. AFTER that, it's up to you. Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

When starting orcs i generally have 4 Black orcs and two blitzer at the start, for the reason black orcs progress so slowly,
Probably wouldnt take stripball as a first choice as Guard can be more effective.
Kick is a great skill to take on the liner, But I prefer to get a dp early on and block is also a worhty choice.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

These are not necessarily bad choices, but as you've pointed out yourself most people might have chosen block and guard. A lot of coaches have different philosophies, but there are some generally agreed principles on fumbbl when it comes to team development.

1) You can never have too much guards
2) Always use a stat increase or a double
3) Get block as soon as possible

Other than that, it's personal preference usually. I like kick, I know a lot of coaches deem it to be essential, but I've had many teams that managed without it. Some people also think that "Tackle" is a wasted skill on a bashing team like orcs. However, I think it's much safer to have a few just on case you run into any annoying dodgers.

I personally like to develop all-around teams and give my guys different sets of abilities. The most important thing in the end is to build up with a team you'll like to play.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:17 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to remember in FUMBBL when compared to table-top is that you can play much faster here, making it possible to play many games in 1 day, so make your choises for the team considering "what about 10-20 games from now"... That's one thing I would do.
Sparta

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

As jan_mattys states strip ball is a good skill! It's just that, well if you only have 2 blitzers and giving them strip ball you end up with all out defensive blitzers. With 4 blitzers on the team strip ball might be a good idea for 1-2 of them.

Just think that guard or mighty blow pays off early in the same way as strip ball. Plus they are used both for offence and defence.
Tank

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The following are choices i think match a defensive play style well (excluding doubles).

• Black orcs: I like to get 3 with the Block + Guard combo and 1 with Block + Mightyblow.
  • Blitzers: I like 2 with Guard + Mightyblow, 1 Tackle + Stripball and 1 Tackle + Guard.
  • Lineman: A few with block + tackle. But Kick is real helpfull early on.
  • Thrower: 1 with Block+ Kick, the other accurate + Safe throw.

General Advice:
You can NEVER have too many guys with guard.
Having Kick really makes a huge difference to your team.
I agree with Zy-nox, as the Black orcs do tend to take awhile to develope so get'em early.
Also get a Big guy earlier rather than later for the same reason.
Consider developing an offensive passer and a defensive one.

Post   Posted: Jul 22, 2004 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

i usually find that what helps a rookie ork team most is its first lineman with dirty player.
 Jump to: