55 coaches online • Server time: 12:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

https://imgur.com/a/2h77NKN

One really has to ask oneself when discussing apes and their dominance of the Planet Formerly Known as Earth whether the hidden allegory has any meaning in modern times. Obviously we know to root for the intrepid heroes of the piece, the stranded astronauts played so convincingly by Charlton Heston and... the other fella. But should we? In the end the strangely attractive Zira assists the last surviving astronaut to escape, making us question if we were the superior race all along? And making my wife question that bulge in my pants? But of course in reality we truly are. There was no War for the Planet of the Apes. We're human and have guns. And they're apes and they fling their own poo. And my wife wouldn't even notice. The bulge that is. She'd sure as hell notice if I flung my own.... never mind.

Last edited by Happy_Amateur on Mar 10, 2020 - 14:27; edited 1 time in total
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

https://imgur.com/a/f5dHRss
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

These are all great......I do hope you don't end up costing Doofr too much though Smile
Thoriin

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/i/611694

I want my 50 $
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow...great piece, surely inspired by Gianni Motti's Magic Ink series and In The Void Room by Yves Klein

EDIT: oh, can others see something, i can only see a blank page

Last edited by C0ddlefish on Mar 10, 2020 - 22:12; edited 1 time in total
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thoriin wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/i/611694

I want my 50 $

Reference to Better Off Dead?

The movie....not the state of being.

Link to IMDB movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088794/
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2020 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody else fancy a pitch logo PM me Wink
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish, one would only see a blank page for Thoriins magnificent art, but of course that is the only interpretation. Having marveled at the dozens of shades of white in the paint section of the hardware store I find an innate understanding of the varied presentation of this particular medium escaped me until I gazed upon Thoriin's all white masterpiece. Many might say "I could easily post that!", but it goes to show the refrain of philistines confronted with something that they could not possibly understand. Others might add “Hell, my dog/cat/baby/elephant could do that!” Sophisticates smirk knowing smirks. Oh no, sir or madam, they most certainly could not. For white isn’t ever a pure thing, white is always tinted in some way, tainted even. Attend to the subtle gradations of white, from warm to cool, and the range of textures, lines, patterns, shapes, and “subtle intricacies”. Is it a representation of Blood Bowl in its purest form? Is it the embodiement of our conciences as we turn 16 foul the opponents Star Player? Most certainly yes, and most certainly no. Only Thoriin can tell us for sure.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Much like Yoko Ono's album Fly, some great pieces of art are not immediate and in fact the challenge to get 'into them' underpins it's raison d'etre. With Thoriin work above, it clearly hadn't clicked for me. Interestingly this morning with repeated viewings, I have been able to connect with it on a subconcious level. To me it is no longer a souless empty experience but a deep and meaningful piece exploring stigmas is society, and the value of Dwarf Troll Slayers at Low TV.
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Very Happy Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps Thoriin is trying to emulate the white washing that all Blood Bowl aficionados go through knowing that, deep down inside their hearts, they all should play 'Flings and only 'Flings. Here the influence of J.R.R Tolkien and his co-author Peter Jackson cannot be understated in our cultural psyche. By creating and playing teams that are not the Hob**t inspired Halflings, we are effectively putting up a wall of white noise to drown out that little voice inside our head. That voice that says 'Do it. Play 'flings. It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun... not serious.... don't even look at your CR.' My heart soars when I see that Thoriin has the courage to show us what we do not have the courage to see ourselves.
Happy_Amateur

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomorrow : A brief talk on the duplicity of Thoriin's Logo art with special attention paid to its relevance to playing chainsaws and their tendency to betray you.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I give you Nuffle Servants.

https://fumbbl.com/i/611743
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Interestingly we haven't heard back from the client who commissioned these works. I suppose it opens the debate - can it be considered art if it is created for a specific purpose or commercial enterprise? Or should art only ever be a communication between the artist and the audience without external pressures dictating it's content.

I'll have to wait until tommorow to critique that new addition to the collection. I will have had time for me to digest it's content
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2020 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Happy_Amateur wrote:
Are we all happily married middle aged men with pot bellys, reliving our childhood games that we really couldnt afford to buy from Games Workshop as a diametric opposition to our nine to five jobs, white picket fences and comfortable bank accounts?'

This thread is starting to make me very uncomfortable.