41 coaches online • Server time: 15:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Palandiell

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

So I will be facing killer chorfs in an online league with my woodies.They have 2 piling on players and a bunch of mighty blow, but no sure hands. I have one AG 5 strip ball tackle wardancer and will pay a bit for the wizard. However, I fear the amount of damage I could take this game.

Someone on discord recommended me to run away during my offense. To basically put the tree at center of my field and just run all players back once I secured the ball. Basically it will require the chorfs a few turns to meet up with my team as they are super slow, turns where they can't hit any elf. This strat also requires me to at some point successfully break through with some elves and run down the pitch to still score, which I find hard to understand how to exceute. It was mentioned that there was a thread here on this site, something with "dakka", that discusses this strategy. Does anyone know of the thread I am talking about? Or the strategy and how to execute it? Am in a very elfy division (which is super unusual given that this league is quite bashy at the top) and would love to survive this game so the rest of my season is enjoyable Very Happy
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're thinking of MattDakka.

Here's an example (I think, it was a while ago) of his Skaven vs my Orcs - so similarly, a speed advantage.

Do it right and you probably sacrifice a few players on the LOS if you're unlucky with dodges, but otherwise the chorfs trudge towards you and (if you time it right) you run away and score. Or stuff it up and get your head kicked in - so mileage may vary

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I sent him a PM.
charlie1331

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2020 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

My question would be, if this was the opening drive, why would the chorf coach run after you?

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2020 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

charlie1331 wrote:
My question would be, if this was the opening drive, why would the chorf coach run after you?

Because he knows the only way to actually win against woodies is to make damned sure there are fewer of them?

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2020 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and the challenge is not letting the Elves keep a distance till near the end of the half.

I have found this runaway strategy a bit tricky to deal with myself before. Alternatively some try leaving their carrier back but keep the rest of the team in your half dodging about hoping they can absorb the turn blitz and not fall over much.

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

In case anyone is interested, the game ended 1-1. And only because I did a minor mistake on my defense (fireballed his cage, and threw the ball away with my AG 5 dancer. However his centaur was able to pick up the ball without needing a RR and travel the max number of MA possible to do a handoff... should have done the bolt a turn later). However, the running away strat was worth gold.

The chorf didn't follow me (he told me he saw me post here and adapted his strategy to it, which imo actually hurt him more than it did me) so I just waited till turn 4 to move up and he still didn't even blitz me as he didn't want to leave a hole. I got a lucky CAS on one blocker and then he over committed to a flank, letting me half cage on the left sideline very easy. With an AG 5 dancer, scoring was trivial at the end. Overall I lost 1 player that half (due to a fail dodge on the LoS that gave him a blitz on the other lino) and if his damage output wouldn't have been suddenly so absurdly high in the second half, I would have had a much easier time stalling out longer to secure the 1-0. Or I may have been able to risk sending one catcher forward to go for the 2-0 even. Very glad I learned this strategy from Matt, definitely will use it against slower teams that want to bash thge shit out of me more often.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2020 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

About the damage: consider that you played vs a team using the outdated Piling On rule.
With new Piling On requiring a team rr probably you would have suffered less damage.
 Jump to: