40 coaches online • Server time: 00:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why do you play in [R] or [B]
It is where I can easily get pick-up games
48%
 48%  [ 48 ]
I care about my CR and want to improve it
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
I play mainly for the tournaments
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
The variety of opponents and teams
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
I don't play in [R] or [B]
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 100

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

That because people in certain timezones don't activate in Box.
If everybody played only in the Box in every timezone and nobody in Ranked, finding a Box game would be easier.
steinerp

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Christen could give better stats but it isn't uncommon for me to see 0-2 total other coaches in game finder and none in box. My understanding is that box doesn't fire if under 4 coaches. Also having to wait at least 15 minutes if unpaired is a turn off to some.
Uber

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 18:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Why I play in box:
- When active, quick to get a game, no hassle.
- Very competitive
- Challenge of completing BBT

Why I play in ranked:
- Better matching algorithm than box
- Sometimes I wanna play against a good opponent I know
- Sometimes I wanna play a specific team or matchup
- Box not always active

I also play a lot of brawl, rumbles, leagues, you name it.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the Box requires at least 4 coaches activating for the draw to happen.
Some time ago I suggested to hide the exact number of coaches activating ("some coaches have activated" instead of "2 coaches have activated") and allow draw even if less than 4 coaches have activated. In this way, since you don't know how many coaches have activated, arranging a rigged match with a friend would be harder.
Additionally, to prevent collusion between 2 coaches, the 1 on 10 game rule could be applied to Box games having fewer than 4 coaches activating.

Last edited by MattDakka on Aug 09, 2020 - 19:10; edited 1 time in total
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I play [L]eague, because the Ranked vs Box argument is stupid.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like Game Finder. I don't like sitting there not getting games, I don't like questioning myself whether I'm a picker for offering this or that match-up. So, I play Box. Also, I like the Box trophy, but I played mostly Box even before that.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, I noticed that people try to pick/dodge offers even when there is no CR to win, for example in SL GF.
So, I guess that getting easy wins is another reason to use the GF, not just in Ranked.
When there is no CR to win, people will play just for the win rate or to farm their players more easily.
These can be other 2 reasons to pick games.
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
I don't like Game Finder. I don't like sitting there not getting games, I don't like questioning myself whether I'm a picker for offering this or that match-up. So, I play Box. Also, I like the Box trophy, but I played mostly Box even before that.

What he said
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing more box now as it just seems to be more fun. There seems to be a better attitude among box coaches. All my cool teams are in ranked though.
cdassak

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I only play/prepare for the tourneys nowadays so I play in both divisions depending on my mood or where I think it will be easier to get a game and which team needs preparation.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't know what to vote for in the pool so will try to explain why I only play in Box with my frenchy english. Very Happy

I like to play competitive games and, according to me, Ranked division functionning is more a training division functionning (or friendly or exhibition etc...) than a competitive division one.

In my humble opinion, competitions in sports / games are biased competitions when you can chose your opponents. To not exagerate, concerning FUMBBL, let's at least say if you want to play Ranked division competitively, competition starts when you chose your opponent (coach and / or roster) and I don't like that.

That said, it's only a matter of choice and I have really no problem with people prefering to play in Ranked division as soon as there are enough coachs activating in Box.

To conclude, if I would decide for FUMBBL rules (like Iznogood, I sometimes dream to be caliph in place of caliph) Ranked games results wouldn't count for CR and tourneys would only be with Black Box teams but I'm not the one who decides and everything is surely better like that. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play a lot in ranked as it is easy to get a game, I still play sometimes in ranked, but not so much anymore. Now I play in ranked to build up my team (CR doesn't matter, I don't gain much rating when I win games). And yes, I also pick games, so it takes a lot of time to get a game.

Nowadays I play much more blackbox then I used to. The blackbox trophy is great fun, even though I loose a lot. I get a game much faster than in ranked.

Nowadays I also play a lot of league games. For league games you got to join a league, it's difficult to get games on gamefinder. What's great about league? The diversity of possible teams! What's a problem? The league members have to have fun playing games. Many leagues disappear after one or two seasons.

What's not so nice about fumbbl? I think teams with the same ruleset should be able to play against each other whether they belong to ranked/blackbox or league. The problem with many league teams: once the league disappears, you cannot play your league teams any more. You want to join a new league? Make up a new team!

For me the main fun in playing bloodbowl is team building, get your team to grow, build super stars and legends. Teams get interesting when they get bigger (TV 2000 or more), you grow attached to players that you played more than 100 games, they are like an old friend.

At the moment I have reached my maximum of teams (100), everytime I make up a new team I have got to delete an old one. I mainly play one ranked team at the moment, four blackbox teams and about ten league teams, so I probably could delete quite a lot of teams.

When I was new to fumbbl I almost exclusively played ranked (because it was the only possibilty to get games, not because I wanted to be competetive). Thank god this has changed nowadays.
sebco

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2020 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't mention League as I thought it was only a poll / topic about Ranked and Black Box.

I really like to play in Leagues with forced calendar too (and in NAF online tourneys but that's a bit different even if it's classified in League division) and I have a question about that : did Christer and/or moderators already tried to run a main big League with calendar (let's call that FUMBBL championships or whatever) to try to gather a great number of coachs who like to play in League ?

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play mostly Ranked because I couldn't get Box games. Then I played mostly Ranked because that's where my flagship team was. Now I play mostly Ranked because the new rules are going to retire my flagship team, and I'm getting the games in as I can.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in box because I like playing games, and I don't like the gamefinder or meta it produces.