41 coaches online • Server time: 00:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why do you play in [R] or [B]
It is where I can easily get pick-up games
48%
 48%  [ 48 ]
I care about my CR and want to improve it
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
I play mainly for the tournaments
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
The variety of opponents and teams
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
I don't play in [R] or [B]
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 100

lemf

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

In fairness I have become fixated with gridfilling in ranked. So that's where I sit
waiting for the match ups to come through. As the grid fills up so the match opportunities dwindle and the longer it takes to get the games.

So I stay in R which where I started 15 years ago Very Happy
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

None of the poll options apply.

I play Blackbox (when I have time) because I like competitive games, and don't regard the picker meta in Ranked as an environment that foster the kind of competition I look for.
The_Great_Gobbo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 03:42 Reply with quote Back to top

playing a gobbo lineman only team necessitates having the right to turn down games from teams with 6+ players armed with mighty blow
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
I don't like Game Finder. I don't like sitting there not getting games, I don't like questioning myself whether I'm a picker for offering this or that match-up. So, I play Box. Also, I like the Box trophy, but I played mostly Box even before that.

This expresses my reasoning well too. But Box almost never has quorum when I can play (occasional westcoast NA evenings) so I end up in Ranked from time to time and play whatever other lonely soul is there at the same time (or not).
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Random no-stress game where

For R: usually trying to figure out a specific matchup, so made a Liz team because I couldn't beat Lizards in L, and like, free training how to beat Liz is just playing Liz against good coaches in R.

For B: variety, which it sometimes lacks and then I play way less of it. Also collecting fouling badges.

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

There's no option for those who play both.
Basically whatever gets me a game faster, but I also play ranked for E.l.f. (easier to complete a cycle) and to build for majors (which I do while completing the cycle).
Box is more casual play as I don't care as much about the teams.

Edit: also ranked is better to play stunties as TV matched doesn't allow to get inducements which are very important and one of the few strengths. Still play stunties in the box tho. It's just sub-optimal
doclystria

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to be a picker. So ist better to play Black Box. Mostly fair match ups there, except sneaky monoactivators...
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
I don't like Game Finder. I don't like sitting there not getting games, I don't like questioning myself whether I'm a picker for offering this or that match-up. So, I play Box. Also, I like the Box trophy, but I played mostly Box even before that.

I agree.
I have seen a lot of changes over the years. I think Ranked is much better now than many years ago when picking was so bad that I created my Elf team just to be picked. BB removed that.

PaddyMick wrote:
... All my cool teams are in ranked though.

Some of my cool teams are in Ranked. I don’t think its necessarily due to the division but that they are old (more so in years than games). I would transfer them to the box, if given the chance, I think, to not worry about beeng picky or feeling bad when I choose a likely easier game to prepare for a tourney.
Joost

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I play Box because it prevents me from overthinking match ups. I also think a combined division would be fine as long as we have a black box like game generator.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The best way to make a combined division work would be using only 1 way to arrange games (the scheduler, because it's the best) and by merging Ranked and Box teams into a single scheduler division (because the userbase would be increased, and not split by two ways of finding a game).
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
The best way to make a combined division work

Excuse me Sir, but I think you have the wrong thread, Sir. He asked why you play Box (or Ranked, if you do).
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

And I replied to that question some posts ago, Sir. Go to page 1 and you will see it.

The last post was a comment to Joost's post.
TheFear

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

When I sit down to play, I often have a smallish window between the children going to bed and me needing to go to bed.

As a result I much prefer game finder to the scheduler - because I feel like I can quickly see what the chances are of getting a game. Im not a famous coach so I don't think people will dodge me. Also I've never turned down an offer of a game - if people want to pick my team because they think its a good match up for them, then thats cool. Playing uphill match ups helps me improve.

In contrast when I have tried on several occasions to activate in the box - i just seem to sit there for ages and never get matched.I did manage to get a game once - so think I'm doing it right Smile I would really like to take part in the Black Box trophy, because it seems like a cool idea but the experience of trying to get a game has put me off.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah sometimes takes a couple of activations to get scheduled so if your time window is really small that might be a problem. On the plus side, at least you don't have to keep sitting there watching it until you're matched. Wink
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2020 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

TheFear wrote:
Playing uphill match ups helps me improve.

Only if you can learn from mistakes and if your opponent is not noobbashing you with an overdog team or because he's clearly better and just wants to get an easy win. If he challenged a weaker coach in a game where there is CR to gain, there is a good chance he just wants an easy win and/or farm his players.

If you really wanted to improve, you would play only in the Box, where in the long run, match-ups are more fair and you can't be picked by better coaches just wanting to bash you.
There are good coaches to learn from in the Box as well, trust me (check the Box Trophy ladder).

The problem of not finding games in Box is in part due to people playing in Ranked and not in the Box.
Splitting an already small userbase it not going to help the scheduler.
Don't blame the Box, blame the splitting of the userbase.
 Jump to: