68 coaches online • Server time: 19:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Delta

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
I worry whenever anyone gets hit, however. AV has nothing to do with it. Check out the CAS against my dwarves to see what I mean.

That's what you get for playing Khemri. 5 in one match...ouch!!
(Although it is surprising that only 2 of those were caused by mummies!!)

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:
Essentially the question has now changed to 'can I put the early losses down to my great/terrible skill rolls - or do I just suck?' Laughing

You suck, of course! Very Happy
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 06, 2004 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Thought so....

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

quota wrote:
I usually don't go for the free reroll skills either, you have team rerolls for that sort of thing. So get more rerolls... darnit Razz

Think of a situation like this: the ball lies on the ground ... player A picks it up with his reroll from sure hands, he walks a bit further and passes it, he misses the throw, but rerolls with pass and the ball finds his target player B. That guy tries to catch, but fails. He uses his catch skill for rerolling the catch and succeeds. Now he runs to the endzone ... he dodges during this rush, the 1st die roll fails again, but his 2nd roll he got from his dodge skill is good enough. Finally player B needs to go for it, to score. He rolls a 1. No problem, because his sure feet reroll is better. -Touchdown!
This extreme example uses up 5 rerolls and wouldn't work with team rerolls only.
quota

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Why wouldn't it? Elf picking up ball, 2+. If we assume everyone who has those exact skills you just mentioned I will assume it's my thrower making the pass, he already have pass skill. Catching with an elf, 2+. Now dodging is another matter, I do take dodge skill, since elves dodge alot and because it has some defensive value. GFI, another 2+.

Now, We both know that your example of 5 failed rolls that succeeds after rerolling is a wack coincidence, and of course, just because most of the rolls are 2+ for an elf doesn't mean they will suceed either.

My oponion is though, that instead of taking sure hands, the thrower could take accurate. Instead of catch, the catcher could take block to stay up or sidestep to get in better positions. I personally think taking these skills in many cases is a bit wasted. You won't always have the sure hands guy pick up the ball. Your opponent will most likely try to force you to throw to someone who isn't the guy with catch, and personally, I often pass with my DE team with players who isn't the thrower.

That's just my opinion of course, I find that having tackle, block, dodge, sidestep, strip ball and so on better than taking sure hands or catch.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you need both.

A thrower will pick up balls quite regularly (mine do -or try- at least Very Happy ) thus is a skill like sure hands never wasted.

A skill like block is always a good thing. Skills which allow you to do special stuff (like leap/pass block/side-step) open new ways of dealing with the opponent.

A balanced lot is best.
As always; if used properly is the combined arms approach best.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Elkerlyc wrote:
A thrower will pick up balls quite regularly (mine do -or try- at least Very Happy ) thus is a skill like sure hands never wasted.

True enough. Sure hands is a nice skill against strip ball too. I often enough pick up the ball with a lineelf and then pass it to my thrower (or some other player), hence I'd never get sure hands just to pick up the ball easier.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2004 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Teams which rely on stunties, like goblins, halflings and lizardmen suffer hard from their limitation on agility skills for those players.
So every double is welcome, stat increases too.
davidbowie

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 03:53 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1227753 -

the same as the above guy but he is a human catcher
Catch, Dodge, Block, Side Step, +ST - he can do anything, run into the backfiled to attack ball carrier, dodge away to get into the backfield after a catcher, blitz a player to make room to get into backfield, stay back and blitz dangerous receivers.
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

nice catcher but i prefer the one on my DivX HE's (although he has an unfair advantage having started at 8/3/4/7)

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=631251
by far the most annoying player on my team

Catch, Block, Dodge, Mighty Blow, Tackle (picks on stunty and other low AV players to go for cas although he rarely scores lately as the rest of the team has to catch up to him)

Although if nessesary he combines with the Thrower
Pass, Sure Hands, Strong Arm, Accurate (2+ at Long pass or less range and 3+ at Long bomb range only ever fumbles on a 1)

to score quickly

and think only 2 doubles rolls for two players (even a single double can increase your options dramatically)

and with a +ST guy and a guard player i have some options vs high ST teams (not many admitedly but a few)
Wench

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2004 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I too am having trouble making my STR 4 linos effective. It's suprising how amazing my Flesh Golems can be, and yet with a much better option in two infinitely more versatile players with AG 4 (and Dodge in one case) I can't do anything really effective. Maybe it's because I overlook them when I scan the field as they look exactly the same as the other linemen; but I get the impression I should be putting much more focus on them than I am now.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and by the way, I've got an AG 5 Thrower myself, now with Accurate and Safe Throw, and let me say that the Long Bomb now gets pulled off with more ease than a pair of GFIs.

And re-rolls are essential with Elves. Since you do pretty much everything on a 2+ you don't expect to fail and dodge everyone. Since you're making 2+ rolls with most of your team each turn, you're bound to fail eventually, and every re-roll you take is one less turnover. One way to look at it.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2004 - 08:33 Reply with quote Back to top

How's this for an example of extreme skill-rolling?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=114403

Half of my skill rolls have been doubles or one +STR, and now I have a bunch of guarding woodelf linemen without block/dodge. So while I'll be praising the heavens should they survive to pick up a few more skills, until that point I'm still nervous throwing/taking blocks with them...

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2004 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

AFK_Eagle wrote:
How's this for an example of extreme skill-rolling?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=114403

Half of my skill rolls have been doubles or one +STR, and now I have a bunch of guarding woodelf linemen without block/dodge. So while I'll be praising the heavens should they survive to pick up a few more skills, until that point I'm still nervous throwing/taking blocks with them...

Hehe, now that's nice rolling Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2004 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG, that team really is starting to scare me Eagle.

*remembers that he agreed to a rematch against them*

Oh hell, I'm doomed >.<
 Jump to: