62 coaches online • Server time: 23:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 09:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, although I have been playing for some months now, I was just screening the Race-Specific Rosters. (actually trying to find a good starting roster for a Pygmy team, since mine was rejected, but unfortunatly there´s none...)

But, the point is, I am extremely surprised by most of the suggestions.
You can hardly find a suggestion that has an apoth included.
There are 5 options for Wood elf, none having an apoth; for Skaven 2, no apoth; same for Amazons (3 suggestions, none having apoth).

Well, this may work in R, but only combined with cherry picking and a high chance to retire the team after one or two games and to start again. In my point of view, this is not the way it should be.

But playing in a tourney it gets close to suicide. Especially if you are not to choose your opponents. Although you loose some team power buying an apoth from the start he actually might save your team.

I do not want to complain about the roster suggestions in principel, but I think at least one version with apoth should be added (at least for teams like elves). Especially to give new coaches the hint for a new team that could survive it´s first games.
Cederlund

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

if you want a apoth just exchange positionals for linemen until you freed up 50k
Arcon

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it´s not that problem for me right now, since I always did it that way.
But it´s a guide for beginners, and they might find it interesting to know what could be the best way to save that 50k.
Also, well that might be only my idea, an apoth is far too important, than not beeing mentioned in a suggested roster.
quota

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of those rosters are made by experienced coaches who probably retire the team if they lose a player the first match. When playing ranked it's simply to just retire, remake, and try again.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The wonderful thing about the User Guide is that you - yes YOU - can contribute to any page in it (or even create new pages); see the 'Edit' option in the bottom left? Click it and start adding your own opinion! Your input is most welcome - please remember that many of the guides could do with some work, some have options based on the preferences of several different coaches, while others have perhaps been contributed by one coach only. The more people contributing to the guide, the more rounded and informative it becomes. Give it a try; if you need information on editing the Guide, consult 'Wikihelp', some of the threads in this forum, or look for BadMrMojo or myself in IRC or by PM.
Colin

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 10:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just added the new Stunty teams to the main roster and strategy page. That should help.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I truly despise coaches that retire teams just like that. I find it cowardly.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

MrMojo wrote:

Well, it happens, and I'm pretty sure it happens alot. I even saw someone (I forgot who and it doesn't matter anyway) that retired if he didn't get +ff and good money.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

quota wrote:
MrMojo wrote:

Well, it happens, and I'm pretty sure it happens alot. I even saw someone (I forgot who and it doesn't matter anyway) that retired if he didn't get +ff and good money.

now that I think is too much. but to each his own or whatever.
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It is mentioned on the woodelf starting roster page that, if you're so inclined, you can exchange a rr for an apoth for all the above rosters (except for the silly one starting with only one RR, I suppose)

Then again, I've never really seen the point in an apoth the first game. The money is always better spend on a RR. Chances for fatalities are low for starting teams, due to the lack of killer skills.

And even if you should suffer some permanent injuries, playing with 10 or less players for a game or two doesn't mean the end of the world. Doesn't mean the next game will be an insta-loss either.

Just my opinion. My way Smile
Dementor

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Bendrig wrote:
Then again, I've never really seen the point in an apoth the first game. The money is always better spend on a RR. Chances for fatalities are low for starting teams, due to the lack of killer skills.

So you have never played a tournament where you encountered Khemri, Orcs or the like in your first game? Confused
quota

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Dementor wrote:
Bendrig wrote:

So you have never played a tournament where you encountered Khemri, Orcs or the like in your first game? Confused

Playing in a tournament is quite different. I think we're all talking ranked here. In ranked you can just find another team with 10 players to play against, or a halfling team or something like that. In a tournament, sure, you should seriously consider an apothecary, especially with WE.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

According to fumbbl's game statistics 50-60% of all games are ranked. But 25-30% are unranked and ladder and faction are tournaments, too. So about a third of all games are tournament games. And Arcon explicitly mentioned tourneys in his post.

And in ranked it's no big deal to scrap a team after one match. In a tournament you can't (or at least shouldn't). Therefore the starting roster is even more significant for tournament teams.
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Dementor wrote:

only Khemri can be considered a bad matchup, due to multiple mighty blows. "orcs or the like" will have only one, tops.
High Str/block does not a killer team make.

And yes, I ran into a khemri team with woodies for the first game of a tourney. Won the game, lost two players (or so). Having an apoth wouldn't have made me win more. Second team was also Khemri, which I lost. Still think one more player wouldn't have made a difference, the way the dice rolled.

Khemri back-to-back won't happen that often though. Doesn't make me change my ideas Smile
Colin

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Feel free to add a "Tournament recommendations/variants" section to each of the starting lineup pages Smile