21 coaches online • Server time: 07:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. Yes you should keep you're players down to 13 or so in ranked to play against players of you're caliber but what about tournament (and championships)? Do I retire niggler if their not on positionnal players? I believe I should not do so but I'm not sure. What do you think about it?
BB-Pad

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

From a money perpective, your TR has a big impact on possible earnings. By retiring your nigglers, you increase the chance of getting more money and replacing him with a injury-free player, although you may want to consider your FF and that of your next opponent.
SonofSharkboy

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

In many tournaments and such I think it's a good idea to keep a fuller roster than what you'd have in rated. Often here it's a no holds barred slugfest and, at least from my limited experience, having those few extra guys helps. Players that get niggles or stat decreases make perfect 'linemen' to suck up even more of the beats so that my good players aren't forced to start a turn puting their life on the line.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

But sparing cash for what use? Wizards? Are wizards a better choice as extra lines?
BB-Pad

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never used a wizard, so I don't know. But you could use the cash to buy new players to keep your team injury free or hire star players. Star players can really make a huge difference - you just want to be careful not to let them hog all the ssps if it's a long tournament.

I suppose it depends on how good the niggled player is and how long the tournament is (how much time do you have to train up the replacement)
dinaturz

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2004 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

well, wizards can be indeed a better choice as extra lines... depending on the opponent race. Against a low AG race such as Dwarf or against Sauri, it is for sure.

I personally, prefer to trim the team as much as possible in order to have a higher concentration of SPPs (and earning, like BB_Pap said).
If I want to play a full roster and have spare low level players, I go for Halflings.

At least they are lot of fun to play! Smile

If your Tournament allows Handicap rolls to have a compact team helps too.

marco

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have an orc team in a tournament and you want to vary your tactics depending on your opponent a full roster with the maximum of positional players is fine.
4 blitzers, 4 black orcs, 4 goblins, 2 throwers and 1 troll already fill 15 slots of the roster leaving only 1 position for a lineman or star player
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

It also depends on the team.
Orcs or Dwarfs with AV9 can afford to have fewer reserves.

Quite different with AV7 teams I'd say.
In that case the more the merrier is an absolute truth IMO.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on how long the tournament goes on, which team your using and the state of the competition.

There are lots of factors to take into account.

1\ Are most of the teams 'bashy'?

If most of the teams in the tournament fit this description (or you think they do) then more players mght be a good idea in order to keep going

2\ Am I playing a team unlikely to take injuries?

If your playing an orc team/dwarf team theres still not much point in taking more than 13 players (and even thats a push) since youll be in a better position to hurt your opponent in games and stay injury free.

3\ Am I playing a fragile team?

Such as wood elves, skaven, norse etc then yeah as long as youve got the re-rolls buy, buy, buy!

4\How long is the tournament going on for?

If its a knockout competition then it might be a good idea to go with less players since you may want a nice trim team rating to get that cash and/or handicaps. If its a longer event then taking more players stops your team being worn down.

5\ Do my players want a fortune to hire them?

Having a full roster might be nice but sadly the cost of those 70k dark elf lineman really add up. It might be unrealistic to try and aquire 16 players and your team rating may be vastly different to the real ability of your team.

6\ Just how badly smashed up are my guys?

This is a personal judgement thing as well as a question of how skilled a damaged player is and how effective he is in games. A niggled one turner or claw, rsc beastman should probably always be kept. A niggled basic player (especially an expensive one, or one that comes in limited numbers like wardancers) should be replaced as soon as possible.

If you look at the structure of the tounament it should also give you a good idea of how many players you actually need to keep on.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

play what your comfortable with.....only you know this

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2004 - 01:09 Reply with quote Back to top

hey man. I believe in numbers. Probably 'cos i never fully understand the whole TR sums. But i have found that my teams last for ages if i keep the numbers up. Remember your nigglers are going to turn up for most games. I don't know, take advice from me and I'm a pretty poor coach with a bad record ( according to fumbbl ). But if you want your teams to last, I only ever retired 1 team in a whole year so keep numbers up and although glory may not be with you, your dudes will find themselves in the top 10's and people wil remember your teams

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2005 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

depends on your team , if youve got a pixie team (like my missus) then id certainly advise 16 , if youve a more harder team like...ohhh i dont know ....halflings Very Happy you can probably get away with fewer Very Happy
Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Mar 13, 2005 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Is this the thread where we can ask for the reinstatement of In-game substitutions? 16 players doesn't do a whole lot when you have 5 on the field and the orc cage is only at mid-field with 4 turns left. Truth is 99.99% of coaches will put all of their positional players on the field and by virtue of wanting the win, most skilled players as well. That leaves skilless or less skilled lineman playing the all important position...Left Out. If you have a decent FF and can replace dead/niggled players in a timely manor the question is...how many icons do you wish to stare at in your reserve box. For agility teams I'd personally cap it at 14. For Strength teams I'd probably hover around 13. Of course the races you play often and your average loss rate for the team need to be taken into consideration.
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd go for a good 14 solid players, and maybe a 15th... then again, i normally lose, so mayby this is the reason Smile

my approach is that to slow down the cage, you need to pin it down. you need to take the blows, and theoretically, give some in return. when playing against a good coach, trying to pin the cage down doesn't work, and ur team gets pounded... by the 2nd half u can have 3-5 players out... if u can field a full team then, even better!

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2005 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My perfect human roster is:
1 Ogre
4 blitzers
2 throwers
3 catchers
3 linos

Total 13 players.