16 coaches online • Server time: 06:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 06:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I really liked the idea of pro elves when I first saw them. Block sidestep blitzers? Yes please! Nerves of steel catchers? Yeah baby!

But having given up on a couple of teams in disgust i'm having a rethink funnily enough.

Even with two or 3 re-rolls youll have trouble moving around (I conceeded the first match with my first team in disgust as they rolled nothing but 1's for the first half and into the second - no joke).

The av7 just dosent cut it in terms of keeping the team alive.
The lack of dodge is really crippling.

Why dont the catchers have dodge? I'd happily pay the extra cash to give them the basic elven starting skill. Racking my brain I cant think of another catcher that dosent have it. (werewolves are odd blitzer/catcher variants)

The Thrower is fairly poor average elven movement but without the armour to keep it alive. Anyone whos ever played an elven team will tell you your throwers got to be fast or have av8.

The blitzers are lovely but with only two in comparison to the four Dark elf blitzers or the couple of vastly superiour wardancers elves fall a little short.

I understand that the idea is for them to be an affordable elf team but I just dont think they work.

Perhaps someone could show me a team with a good winning record or suggest some good tactics to make the best out of this odd halfbreed of a team....
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Also for the purpouses of the vault may I make a suggestion?

Give the blitzers and the catchers dodge and raise the price accordingly, It shouldn't work out that much more expensive overall and would give pro elfs some kind of simple reliable passing play from the outset.

It would also stop you burning re-rolls at the current ludicrous rate.

Wadda ya think?

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

they have more rerolls than woode elves due lower cost of base lineman and dodge just as well. I think you may not know how to play them effectively (yet) and maybe had some bad luck. They have the same durability as woodies, but the catchers with NoS and a few skills mean you score in two turns almost every time.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah but they do suck on defence, cos they dont have blitzers like the wardancers or crazy fast catchers like woodies also the linos only move 6, i think its the worst elf team with darkies
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The result statistics show that pro Elves hold their own even when they give up 30 points of TR.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

inquisitorpustus wrote:

Why dont the catchers have dodge? I'd happily pay the extra cash to give them the basic elven starting skill. Racking my brain I cant think of another catcher that dosent have it.

High Elf Lion Warriors have only Catch, Armour 7 and all four of mine are roaring around with Blodge in half a dozen games.

They are often in situations you'd think you'd want NoS but they just don't need it with a Catch reroll.

What I do love is 60K elven linemen although I'd never play elves with Armour less than 8 as I am too cowardly and lacking in the brain to keep them alive.

That's another 100K or so to put into not nearly enough Blitzers or Catchers with inflated prices due to unnecessary NoS.

There is something a bit wrong when an old Wood Elf collector like Pustus is finding it a challenge...could it be the dice in those last few games?

I'd be tempted to stock up on rerolls rather than take a lot of positionals with that roster.

Have to say while it has many good points Pro Elf doesn't quite pull my chain, either. I would have rather seen Woodie Linies down to 60K where they belong.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm you think maybe the reason you are not using NOS enough is because u are just playing them like other elf teams instead of actually thinking about developing new tactics?

Jesus christ this is why i stopped playing on fumbbl so many stupid people.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Hecropolix wrote:
Hmmm you think maybe the reason you are not using NOS enough is because u are just playing them like other elf teams instead of actually thinking about developing new tactics?.

I am playing them like "other" elf teams - My team is High Elves.
I was extrapolating.

I tried to get all four of my Lion Warriors with more than two tackle zones on them in touchdown range but I kept running out of opposing players.

Were I to intentionally park a Lion Warrior behind their scrimmage line and pass to him instead of the two or three dudes ready to score NoS may become extremely valuable to me.

Hecropolix wrote:
Jesus christ this is why i stopped playing on fumbbl so many stupid people.

Thank you for reducing the problem by one Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

IMHO.....
Yes pro elves are slightly weak. They would be much improved with 4 blitzers and 2 catchers on the roster. Their offense is nigh-unstoppable, but so is any elf team when well coached. Their defense is probably the weakest of all the elven teams. They do have a strong potential for ball-holding strategy if you use doubles for dump-off on your catchers....but at AV 7 this can be a bit counter-productive. The only teams you should really need to hold the ball against are skaven and certain other elf teams anyway.

Quote:
I would have rather seen Woodie Linies down to 60K where they belong.

errr....IMO, if you don't think woodie linemen are worth every penny of 70K, you may want to re-think your wood-elf strategy. Wood Elves are already the best elven race by FAR, in no small part due to their incredibly excellent linemen.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

It's testament to their excellentness that Woodies can come back from being knocked down to a four player team.

Only very, very good coaches can survive that and I'd suggest that their excellent win/tie/loss record is as much due to the high skill level of coaches who choose to play Woodies as it is to the generous movement, etc. allowing them to best make use of their skills.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

IMO Pro-elves are just about as good as Highelves... though the tactics should be a bit different. Try getting Pass block on some catchers (great with NoS). Use the blitzers as you would use a Wardancer (without leap) get him, if there is a cage, up close to the ball handler. If playing another elf team, then place him next to the catcher. 2 catchers with MA 8 NoS and Pass Block can really be nasty against TD-teams.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 09:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Prime example of elves not sucking.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=99939
cthol

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

well, i'm not an elf coach - yet - but I agree that armour 7 is difficult to work with. I've played norse a lot, with mixed results, and I have to say the only way I can survive at all with AV7 is because you get 50K linemen with block. I think with AV7 all round you need cheap linemen. With the best will in the world you're going to lose players every game: with Birka Storm ( http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=39133 ) I was haemorrhaging 2 players per game at one point. However, it would be interesting to have a team composed entirely of elf linemen and soo how it does. I had a dark elf team ( http://fumbbl.com/teams/Dublin+Metal+Scene.html ) with only linos for a while and it was ok.
m0nty

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

calon wrote:
Prime example of elves not sucking.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=99939

Hmmm, the match record for that team reveals that every single game was played against elves. Hardly indicative.
riktikticheck

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2004 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say this team is more realistic in how elves fare in general...
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=105332
but still i have been lucky only to loose 6 players... ^_^' have played most of the teams out there and done nicely enough
 Jump to: