12 coaches online • Server time: 03:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey lads,

Was thinking about the divisionals today too - even came up with the same titles annachie! All depends on numbers and team rankings. At this stage I think it'll be ok if we just expand the divisonal to include more numbers. WIll also make for a longer season. The top teams aren't far enough away yet to need to separate them out.

And stop surfing my wavelength already! Had been thinking about sevens in a parallel competition, but not sure if we have the numbers to really get into that at this stage. I like the idea of setting it up so we can transfer back and forth. Might even make it possible to have both sorts mix it up in the vat until they get to one of the divisional comps. Not sure how we should do it though.

PhilMan: Yes, we're always open for fresh bodies to bruise! Alot depends on timing though, most of us are down under (Australia/Kiwiland) so it may be difficult to find games if you're living on the wrong side of the world. Generally, we're mostly on between about 1am and 3pm GMT. So if you're still keen, make an unranked, TR100, LRB team and apply on the Brewmeister's Bowl page.

New season starts next Wednesday so if you can get in before then we'll throw you into "The Vat" - an open round robin in which you can build up your team in preparation for the battles to come in the following seasons.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2004 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Chat Channel: Seeing as there's a couple of non-swl'ers starting to join, I'm having a go at setting up a channel with operator/topic jazz. You can join #brew whenever you like, but will let you know once I've got it properly set up. We can move brew chat to there then.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 13:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Chat channel set up on #brew. Piffle (op there) even runs a customisable !8ball for us. PM me ideas for responses if you want them included (no guarantees - Piffle is pretty loopy).

Good way to test your responses - see if they work for the following two questions.

Is Piffle sane?
Will the Donuts win the SWL league someday?

Have fun..
Snorri.
Toonie

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2004 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

After a discussion with Snorri,he has decided that if you get the "Bribe the Ref 1" handicap,you can field 5 players for 1 drive.
This player must be a substitute.
Hope this helps to improve the game.

Cheers...
Toonie.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

If any of you brew coaches want to,we'll be setting up a test league using stunty teams.
We need 3-6 coaches to help trial this,if it works as well as normal brew then we will have a fun new version of 4v4.
Snorri will set up a round robin draw for us to run this trial,so if your interested make a team and apply to the the brew league page.
Also pm Snorri or myself so we know what team you have entered for it.

Cheers...
Toonie.

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Proposal for a sevens tournement:

Teams may be chosen from the list specified in the LRB.

Each team consists of up to 4 offence, 4 defence and 5 substitute players (max. 13!).

Substitutes may only be chosen from the linemen of your race. They must also be your least skilled linemen on the team (skills being of equal value). If there is a choice between equally skilled linemen, the coach may choose their positional preferences.

Maximum # of players from any team on the pitch is 7 (aka standard 7x7 game).

Offence players may play only when the team is receiving.

Defence players may play only when the team is kicking.

Substitutes may fill in on either offence or defence roles.

The only exception to the above rules occurs when there are not enough players to field three on the line of scrimmage. In such a case players may play out of their usual role to make up the three (and no more).

Each player is to be identified by an image (via player's bio) that represents them as an off/def/sub player.

Players may change roles between games.

By gentlemen's agreement, coaches may secretly change player roles after a challenge is made, but before the game commences.

No wizards, stars or freebooters allowed.

Maximum number of rerolls allowed is 4 (to keep the consistant with normal brew).

Basically a normal brew team with 3 subs on the field to make up 7 players, and an extra couple of subs on the team list.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 08, 2004 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

And so the brewmeister's whip up their second brew...

Will it see someone bring the hammer down on the fancied woodies of Midsummer's Dream? (or will the off-season supply of beer catch up on them again!) The Zons looked like being a good chance last season, but saw them go home for the shores of their jungles early, leaving the round open for the Woodies to win simply due to an early start on the road.

The other big question is, will the woodie and zons teams hang together? Or will their star players suffer the inevitable doom of any illustrious positional player that mocks the use of armour?

See you in brew!

Cheers,
Snorri.

ps I'll probably reset the vat from time to time if we need to shuffle teams in (carrying the scores over) or just to keep games available for those long periods between swl games.
andycapp

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I was wondering about teams with under 11 players.
My Rotters (see the Vat) currently have 10 players. In my last game, I RIP'd Snorri's Halfling with my Beast (sorry about that) so he infected him and i got a new Rotter. I didn't want him (positional player, and I have enough already), so I retired him after the game.
I got enouh winnings to buy a new Subbie, but I don't really want to - whether I buy a Reroll or just burn it away.
So, I'm wondering about the rules on this, before I go and burn the cash :
If you have under 11 players, MUST we buy a new subbie as soon as we can???
Because it's only 4-on-the-field-at-once, it's easy for me to leave it as it is, but that may not be sportsmanlike.

And then to extrapolate on my 10-man situation, what if I was to remove my other two subbies ??? (not that I would - it's just a theoretical)
I would be decreasing my TR nicely, but in reality my play-on 8-player team is getting stronger and stronger.

Just a question for you to ponder...
Cheers, andycapp.
annachie

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Subbies of course offer replacement opertunities, so you wouldn't want to remove all 3 of them since a KO who doesn't recover could leave you with only 3 on the field.
That being said, the vat is a capped league, so ditching a sub to stay under the cap should be allowed.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't (at the moment!) see any problem with it. Like you both mentioned - there's pros and cons for having only 8 instead of 11. Running with 8 might give you good handicaps, but as soon as you're down a guy in a game its almost impossible to win with only 3 and games become dead rubbers really quickly. So it becomes a bit of a coaching decision I guess.

At the extreme end, I'd encourage you to always try and maintain a full offence/defence squad. Otherwise we end up with the situation of teams having only 1 off, 1 def and 3 subs - five players in all which would see them get huge handicaps and defeats the purpose of this league setup. I doubt the huge handicaps would make up for the shortage of players and more importantly, positional players anyway.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Vat has restarted with a couple of new teams as well as some experimental stunty teams.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2004 - 05:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Sevens!

Alas, what to do. I think keeping the rules pretty much similar to the 4x4 gives us some consistency.

The only change I'd propose from Annachie's is to go with an offence/defence/substitution ratio of 5/5/3. This allows teams like orcs to really make use of their broad positional player makeup (Something like 11 positional players...and then there's goobers!).

Miyuso had a quick scan of the official sevens rules too. They implement a rule that states that as soon as a player ages, he gets promoted to the big ranks. Do we want to do something like this? I'd probably prefer not too, just to keep it simple.

Also thinking of making the first sevens season a stunty only group to see how they go.

Any comments/ideas - please ramble them onto this board!
annachie

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2004 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

There's an official sevens rule set?

I'd say keep it simple and consistant with 4v4 brew rules as much as possible. Although 5/5/3 sounds workable Smile
Snorri

Post   Posted: Sep 28, 2004 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Heading out to the sticks until Monday - though I'm bound to be able to jump on and check forums/mail now and then for a couple of mins. If the brew looks in danger of being overrun by way too happy halflings, or anything else similarly urgent, PM me! Happy hols...

Snorri.
 Jump to: