14 coaches online • Server time: 03:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd really like a picture go go with one of my teams but im having a hard time finding one big enough to see that also fits the file size limitations. In fact the smallest picture I could really cope with is still twice the allowed file size.

Can anyone give me a good way of reducing a pics byte size? Preferably without a loss of too much quality.

I think 10240 bytes is a little stingy myself Razz
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

A well-compressed .jpg always helps, and bringing down the number of colours often helps too... I'm not an expert, I suggest asking Mnemon... See this team's picture, as well as this team's.

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm they both seem to be PHP Files. Dunno what they are. Anyone less thick than me?

And no searching google for the answer left me more confused then before. Sad
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

*bump*

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

They show as PHP-files because the actual image-data is prolly stored to the database and is fetched from there by a PHP-script. Both of those two pictures are really .jpg pics. Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have very useable "save for web" -wizard, which shows the filesize with different compression levels. If your image is a photo-like image then .jpg is the preferred and will produce better filesize/quality-combination. If your picture has simple graphics and few colors .gif gives lossless compression + gives you possibility to use one color as "trasparent" ( http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=62532 ).

Other programs than Photoshop should ask about the comprsession level when you try to save as .jpg. When you save as .gif, you need to define the maximum palette size (max 256 colors). Smaller the palette, smaller the filesize. You can pm me in irc for further advice.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, line art (logos and the like) should be saved as .gif files. No, this isn't just renaming it to .gif but resaving it. To reduce the file size of a .gif file, you have 2 options:
1. make the picture smaller (hence less pixels to remember)
2. reduce the number of colors (this is called color-depth and it reduces the amount of data that gets stored per pixel)

For photographs and sketches you should generally use .jpeg compression. There are 2 ways to make a .jpeg fit the file size limits as well:
1. make the picture smaller (sense a trend?)
2. reduce the quality of compression.

Here's the thing, however. Every time you resave a jpeg, it loses a little quality. How much quality depends upon your settings. More degradation = smaller file. Anything with big areas of even color will suffer most from compression artifacts (ie: the ugly blotches).

Now all this assumes you have a decent image editor with which to crop and save your pictures. All bow before Photoshop, but not what you really need for this sort of thing. Aside from GIMP (Free as in speech and free as in beer), I don't know what good, cheap image editors are available on PC but mac users can (and should) get GraphicConverter. Does some stuff better than Photoshop and only $30 to register.

{ edit: gah! Subsonic beat me to posting... Also Elements is a good idea. I'd completely forgotten about that. It's reasonably affordable and right handy from what I hear. Another option is demos, if you want to try out a commercial program. }

Last edited by BadMrMojo on %b %27, %2004 - %19:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers all I looked over the net for a while and picked up some of the techniques all I needed was the name of a good program Very Happy

/me bows to SubSonic ,BadMrMojo and Aconite who kindly pm'd me to tell me a bit more about it.
 Jump to: