18 coaches online • Server time: 04:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you play in ranked.
I keep my old teams and play them for ages no matter what happens to them.
74%
 74%  [ 66 ]
I abandon my teams when the get down and start a new one cuz I am all about winning baby!
25%
 25%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 89

Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 03:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally like playing the same team for ages and build them up so they have a long story behind them and game streak. Wink But I also finds that this does not fit my wishes of keeping a good coach ranking. Players get hurt and you have to play with a damaged team to get them back on tack. Sad I find that it is easier to win with newly started teams although it is only half as fun. Any one got any good way to both win at and keeping your coach rating or do one have to choose with one thing or another. And maybe have team building in unranked. Question

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
tautology

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 04:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I know what you mean....quite frankly coach ranking is as much of a curse as anything else. When I first started playing I had no intention of pursuing a high ranking but then I started winning and my ranking was climbing and pretty soon I started thinking about it instead of thinking about having fun and playing. And yes, having a favorite team that you want to stick with means that you will occassionally have to play games that you have very little chance of winning. You could "build dynasties" in unranked, but there is a lot less action there. But ask yourself what you really like? What is fun about Bloodbowl? If ranking is important, go for it. If your team's character and history is more important, then screw rankings. They don't mean much, really...no more than the value you assign them personally.
good luck, and have fun!
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I have only ever retired one [R] team...a Norse outfit that was beyond repair even by the most optimistic coach Wink I prefer to play on as long as possible with a squad and ranking be damned! Unless you have some wish to have your coaching ranking emblazoned on your tombstone (MY tombstone shall read "Double Skulls...Apothecary FAILS!") then seek to get as much fun as possible from your fumbbl experience. Mine is in teams with history. Rankings can (and have) been re-set. But teams live on forever (if only in your memory).

Here's to the laughs!!!
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Im with Ozjesting on this one we play Bloodbowl for fun not for coach ranking and hence while I play in ranked it is only for fun and fortunately winning is fun (but then again so is a hard fought match). I couldnt care less about my coach ranking simply because I really dont care if I win provided it was an enjoyable match.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 4/5/19 chaos team that I kept from the very beginning but they always lower my CR. I will not retire but, don't know, maybe they will go in U sometimes.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Being a habitual team retirer (about three teams retired in the first six games for every new race I seriously start - sorry approvers) I know I lack attachment to even my most successful teams - by which I mean my lizards that all got Block on the Saurii or my Norse who are actually alive.

I think keeping a team through thick or thin makes for that small league feel where you have underdogs who keep at it no matter what. A good way to play.

Unfortunately if my team's effectiveness drops below a starting roster it's time to make a new team for me as I am a weiner and hate playing a team full of busted up no hoper losers.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some good old teams I'll never retire but I allso like to try new races and startingsetups out so I'll have to retire some once in a while but I allways regret it afterwards ("how could I go and just kill them!") and I feel like ranked is where the action is so I have to create my teams there to get ot play with them Smile
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a bit of both. I've been known on occasion to retire a team at the drop of a hat, particularly if they have a run of frustrating luck. On the other I hand, I also have teams I've stuck with through thick and thin.

I rarely bother with ranking anymore, and will actually concede a game every now and then to try and keep it down. For mine, leagues are where it's at. They allow me take whatever skills and whatever team I like without having to worry about being able to get a game.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Unranked seems to be slowly growing as people get sick of Ranked.

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Stupid question then: Do only [R] teams influence on your coach rating (a department in which I'm scraping the bottom...)
Clausbs

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, strike the last question. I just had what alcoholics refer to as a "moment of clarity" (spot the reference?), and figured it out myself.
Arlecchino

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not impossible have a nice coach rating and high tr team.
I've only 200str team, and my coach rating is not so bad. (~164 at the moment) Imo the question is: what do you like? I like competitive high tr/str game. What i mean with competitive? Competitive=try to win at all cost (but staing in the rules). I think that Ranked division is the best to get this because people generally try to win the game and not only try to make spp. That's the problem of unranked division (for the non-torunament match only) and that's because i stay in ranked. I also say that i like play high tr/str match, that's because i love use and think how to use a huge number of skill.

Ok that's all. Wink

P.s.: i'm not sure if i answer the main question, but i vote: keep my team!
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I always wonder if anyone plays in U outside tournaments. Somehow do not make a lot of sense for me.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

this is off topic but in response to sk8bcn...The sense of playing U outside tourneys is FUN! No pressure against your ranking, and since it is only a U team you can experiment with all sorts of things. Set-ups, styles, attcks, defenses...in short you can play "stoopid" to try to learn how to play smarter. Oh...and did i mention it is FUN?!? Annd those RIP noises aren't nearly as awful Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I play in U outside tournies.
I only really retire teams when they get crippled beyond usability, or i am bored of them.

Jump to: