43 coaches online • Server time: 16:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hallway

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Someone mighta already said this, but

Fumbbl admins did not say your team must be English. They just pointed out you'd have to wait longer for approval if your names are like Mucho Leche Lucha Gigante. And if you try to get that team approved in the wee hours of the night, you're crazy.

P.S. If you've never met a female IRL it is still not alright to joke about certain stuff! <lol>
Glomp

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Creating teams are fun anyway. Another chance to create a flavour or just amuse yourself with sillyness.

Why would you ever want to create 'lineman 1'? Have some originality!!! Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Spike1891 wrote:
... i'd get offended by that name but only on the same level as i'd get offended by 'lineman a, and lineman b'...

For the record, I'm in no way qualified to speak for anyone other than myself but I will say that based upon the rules and the requests I've seen from the admins, I believe that this is fairly close to the motivation behind the official stance on the issue. I don't believe that Christer wants to "censor" anyone - simply to weed out imbeciles and bypass any potential complaints from anyone.

Again, I must reiterate: This is my own inference as to someone else's opinion. It is not being stated as fact and no one can say that other than The Big Cheese himself. Just an observation and my own opinion.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Delta wrote:
Aren't you more offended that he got your name wrong?
Since when were you BBM? BadBadMojo ?

Heh. He must have been agreeing with BloodBasherMasher...

Typos are acceptable even while under the iron-shod heel of BadMrDictator.

Let no one say that I am not a benevolent dictator! If they do, I will have them thrown up against the wall and shot!

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a better one - How about a vampire team based on The Count from Sessime Street.....

One! ah ah ah!
Two! ah ah ah!
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
I certainly ... Sodom ... in ... fluffy ham Very Happy

I also like this statement. Wink

Quote:
Wombat:
violence... is appropriate

Maybe this is something you should keep between yourself and your refridgerator, Tinkers Smile

Amazing, the shameful truths that can be revealed by taking quotes entirely out of context.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 02:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I probably should of used "forgive me" so could you forgive me for using excuse wrong? Razz
Glomp

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Molt wrote:
I have a better one - How about a vampire team based on The Count from Sessime Street.....

One! ah ah ah!
Two! ah ah ah!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

You're the man BMM! Couldn't have said it any better. Though I don't really hate approving teams, I do find that it can be an annoyance every now and then. I just look at it as a job and get to it without complaining. Razz But I understand your need to vent as I've been extremely frustrated with the idiots out there that cannot read the rules and abide by them.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure Americans wouldn't like to see a team named for known Al Queda terroists ie: the ones that are dead, but you have to draw the line somewhere and that should be in your own head. When you create your team you should ask yourself is calling my team Chicken Fuckers going to offend anyone?
Well actually its more like will my choice of team theme/name offend enough people and see me reviled and driven out into the wastelands to die a horribly lonely death.
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Maybe this is something you should keep between yourself and your refridgerator, Tinkers Smile

Amazing, the shameful truths that can be revealed by taking quotes entirely out of context.

Good one. Smile

Actually I think Chicken fuckers is a pretty hilarious team. A nice rule (that would create no confusion whatsoever Wink) would be to make offensive names ok if it can be argued that they are examples of Monthy Pytonesque humor as this clearly must be good humor?
Korso

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

7h47'5 1337, 71nKyW1nKy
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Tinkywinky wrote:
Actually I think Chicken fuckers is a pretty hilarious team. A nice rule (that would create no confusion whatsoever Wink) would be to make offensive names ok if it can be argued that they are examples of Monthy Pytonesque humor as this clearly must be good humor?

All I can think of is the scene in Super Troopers with the bear suit... I'm ashamed for laughing about it even now, and yet...

The only problem with this is precedent. IIRC, this is why all the "<something> Bastards" teams got renamed. Someone complained that their low-wit, knuckledragging team name (I never knew who or what it was) was rejected and pointed to all the bastard teams as proof that it should be allowed. Suddenly a bunch of teams get renamed and we start getting mandates from the admins that no such teams are to be approved.

Making exceptions for names that "clearly must be good humor" means that people will always toe the line. Suddenly we have a team based upon George Carlin's "7 words you can't say on television." Is that clearly good humor? Then someone makes a team of "Dirty words I like to throw around." Is that good humor? Then comes, "Things I'd like to do to the new Temp in my office." How about a 'zon team called, "They were asking for it" with players named after famous rape cases? How's that for humor?

One thing leads to another and a mob of people (see the aforementioned misanthropy rant) will always push it too far. As loathe as I am to say it, only an all or nothing approach to rejecting questionable names can be considered equitable. The admins have voted for "All" in order to please as many people as he can and make FUMBBL a place for as many people as possible.

Christer (and those he has chosen to help him administer FUMBBL) can do that. He's the one who is ultimately responsibility for it. End of story.

ps. I'm really not trying to make Christer sound like some authoritarian dictator who doesn't care about anyone in particular having a good time, here. That's my own ire seeping into my arguments.

If people could be trusted to act according to the good of the community as a whole, then we wouldn't even need an approval process. Unfortunately a few bad apples means everyone has to put up with it. Like random dice, there are always a few double skulls bound to come up (no offense, Ian!).

{ edit: anyone can email, PM or IM me if you want more tough lovin' and you don't think it's necessary to air it out in a public forum. I didn't really mean to run rampant with the thread here. Links below should work. }

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

What he said ^^ Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

My serious point after the silly one earlier...

I think the rules themselves are fine as they are - I just think that sometimes the letter is followed rather than the spirit of them...

*begin rant*
I mostly play 4v4. For every team I create I must come up with 7 extra names for linesmen. Then they must all be checked through by nice people like BMM. After all that I immediately retire them all. The naming is a complete waste of everyone's time. If I do something sensible - like call them all 'retire' (making it perfectly clear whats going on) the team gets rejected.

EVEN in the unlikely event a I didn't fire the players how could this possibly offensive? Surely some common sense can be applied in this case? 4v4 is hardly a minority group - there are currently over 250 approved teams in 4v4 IT alone.
*end rant*

Could you do something about this please BMM? All you nice, clever, beautiful (suck suck) approvers need to do is come up with an appropriate name for us to call all these prematurely doomed players, and tell Freefragger (the group's founder). PLEEEEAASSEE!!!
 Jump to: