63 coaches online • Server time: 19:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

John Harry Dick Francis Jane Henry Gunther Gary Elvis Fritz Helmut Frank Mark...

Soooo hard to come up with seven names...

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quite amazed, that the approvers have to reject so many teams.

My guess is that most of the people using inappropriate names, do so out of ignorance of the rules. As it is apparently very difficult to get some people to actually read all the rules, it might be worth reminding them, when they submit a team for approval. For example, the site could display a page, which states the most basic rules of team creation (in large and possibly angrily red letters) every time you press the 'submit for approval' button. This should only be a short description, and should therefore contain a link to the actual rules. To submit the team for approval, the user could even be made to press a button at the bottom of this page stating something like: 'Yes, I'm certain that my player names are all unique, they contain no swear words, no names of known nazi warcriminals or rapists and absolutely no minority group can be offended by them'. Well, maybe not that long, but I guess you understand what I mean.

I know this would be more than a litte ridiculous, but it would not cause much inconvenience to the users and might save the approvers some trouble.
AlcingRagaholic

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Just name them after famous people... I know you can think of at least 7!

Napoleon, Gandhi, MLKing, Nietzsche, Freud, Saddam, Laden.

If 7 names are a stretch, take your name, your parents, your siblings, your grandparents... I'm pretty sure they were not called Grandfather Soon To Die just because they were old and might die some day.

You can always expand long names:

John, Wilkes, Booth, Lee, Harvey, Oswald, Abraham, Lincoln.

See?

Z
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Molt wrote:
... If I do something sensible - like call them all 'retire' (making it perfectly clear whats going on) the team gets rejected...

Mez and Z are dead on. Pick 7 of your friends names. 7 colors. The first 7 words that come to your mind. You have to go through the bother of purchasing and then firing the players, the bother of naming them is relatively small in comparison.

In addition, what I advise is to make a quick note in the team bio that it's a 4ball team. The approval monkey see it right in front of their faces when they're reading the player names. You should still, however, just pick 7 names and avoid the whole issue.

I'm sure some jackass will now try to get a team approved by calling it "4d00dz" and naming all the players, "I will be retired" and then playing it in Open or something. Great. See aforementioned notes on misanthropy and mob mentality.

Having made a few 4v4 teams myself, I know it's a bother but there are two things to remember:

1. 4v4IT and MNF are basically a hack. A beautiful one (Kudos to FreeFragger, celas and the whomever started the first 4ball group... I forget who it was, offhand. How many people remember as far back as Big Guy Bowl?) and one that is entirely within the rules, but something that the system was not designed to do. Going through the extra steps is a pretty small thing.

2. It's also a recent phenomenon. I disapproved a bunch of them back in August until I started getting PMs saying that the players were going to be retired and what it was for. Now it is quite easy to spot them and the approver _should_ rattle off a quick PM if they're not sure.

It is still best, however, to give them the first 7 names that come to mind. Avoid the whole issue.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
John Harry Dick Francis Jane Henry Gunther Gary Elvis Fritz Helmut Frank Mark...

Damn.. you are good ... you are really good Mezir.
Next time I need player names I will look for you! Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

there are also other ways of going about quick names.... and it's actually how i name most of my guys because i'm HORRIBLE at picking names... i have great imagination... just not when it comes to picking names.... when i play rpgs where they don't give you a default name.... i just kinda stare at the screen for an hour... eat food... still be confused... and end up naming my female character something like 'sarah' or 'karen' in the end....

aaaaanyway.... combine 2 words together.....

Skaven:
Rat
Foot
Bone
Claw
Tooth
Fang
Blood (Bloody)
Black
Red
Death
Pain
Sting
Etc.

just take two out of random and stick them together... DeathClaw... BloodTooth... PainFoot....

same as dwarves...
Red
Beard
Foot
Etc.

RedFoot, RedBeard

need quick useless names for a choas ---- team? then use random 'evil' words.... war death famine... pain anger fear.... go for the frickin 7 deadly sins if you feel like....

orcs..... take 2 random letters.... and still vowels between them.... or do random grunting sounds.... or '--- Boy'

i know that naming isn't always the easiest thing in the world.... but it's not like it's some painfully impossible tast to get halfway decent names out.....

people would much rather play my orcs (Rawrg Boyz: Ro'Ta, Grabee, Marluk, Barr, Lo'Pa, Gurtak, Guupan, Raktar, Krar!, Gak!, Batuk!, Blar!. and Gotar) than have to wince through another game with the St. Augustein Boogers (Mucus, Stretch, Goober, Snot, Green, Picker, Slimer, Ooze, Drip, Splat, Sneezer, Li'l bit o' Blood, and Tasty)
Mezir

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Spike1891 wrote:
St. Augustein Boogers (Mucus, Stretch, Goober, Snot, Green, Picker, Slimer, Ooze, Drip, Splat, Sneezer, Li'l bit o' Blood, and Tasty)

Laughing

Great team!

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

i was having trouble with a team name once. couldnt translated it for anything...turns out the guy was writing in orcish french ;/

kinda like Da ead breakas just a french version.......

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol wahts the team link?

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2004 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

For Zy: Les Kasseurs de Tetes

For guy having problems with names: do not worry, the next version of fumbbl generates names (I talk about Chaos league Wink )

To admins: Why did you refuse my orcs "Deutscland uber alles" with Rommel is great; Himmel is the best, etc....? They're perfectly in Games Workshop mood (at least their old one mood with lots of eagles and orks a bit looking like, well.... Laughing )

ps: I'm joking, for every first degree person that reads that expect the message for Zy. That's really the french style for orks speaking.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2004 - 00:21
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:

Hmmm, we learn more of the master subverter mezir every day. Hidden within this seemingly harmless, thoughtfull and on topic message is in fact a message of evil and harm:

John Harry DICK FRANCIS jane etc etc

Its a subtle and sordid attempt to promote the dull and repetetive work of dreary horse hacker hack Dick Francis.

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN. He wishes you ill. I advise reading his posts with your eyes closed or at least through stylish shades.
Spike1891

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2004 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

another little bit to possibly add is a nickname thingy.... or maybe even the possibility of changing one of your names (though it may be way too much work for the monkeys).... just because some people may like to give their unit the name of 'Slippy' when they always fail their gfi rolls... or 'Niggles' for the guy with 5 niggles, the guy who always niggles out, or the guy who always niggles the other guy..... 'Pushy' for the powless.... 'Punching Bag' for the guy who never seems to be standing up.... or 'Kobayashi' for the guy who's name you took from the bottom of a coffee mug (little movie humor there)

whatever... i'm bored... and yes i AM too lazy to actually read a different topic
Spike1891

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2004 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

Its a subtle and sordid attempt to promote the dull and repetetive work of dreary horse hacker hack Dick Francis.

i was more staring at 'John HARRY DICK Francis'.... 'hi! i'm john 'hairy dick' francis... it's a pleasure to shake your hand'
razta

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2004 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Molt wrote:

*begin rant*
I mostly play 4v4. For every team I create I must come up with 7 extra names for linesmen. Then they must all be checked through by nice people like BMM. After all that I immediately retire them all. The naming is a complete waste of everyone's time. If I do something sensible - like call them all 'retire' (making it perfectly clear whats going on) the team gets rejected.

EVEN in the unlikely event a I didn't fire the players how could this possibly offensive? Surely some common sense can be applied in this case? 4v4 is hardly a minority group - there are currently over 250 approved teams in 4v4 IT alone.
*end rant*

Just a small add to you. i named all my spare linemen "I will get deleted, 4vs4 team!!"
and it worked like a charm
Molt

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2004 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well you got lucky there Razta - To the rest of you, I suppose you're right, it isn't THAT much effort Laughing
 Jump to: