39 coaches online • Server time: 13:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bartok

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I went to see the statistics on what to choose. To my suprise i saw that acurate was more popular then sure hands wich was a big suprise for me.
The reasons are:

Your thrower will pick up the ball more offen then throwing it (he can be splassed before the throw, he can sometimes be so ocupied that he needs to make a handoff or he can run out of time)

He has movement 7. This means that you will mostly be able to do with a short pass wich is a 3+ with RR (more easy then 2+ without RR).

Am i totally wrong or do people make a bad choice here?
stormknight

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Many throwers have sure hands.....

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Whilst i agrre, i think the theory is that you have a reroll for the pass a reroll for the catch, so you can spare a team reroll for the pick up, therefore it is best to make each action a 2+ with a reroll.

Personally i would take sure hands first because most elf teams don't start wih rerolls to waste on picking up a ball.
Frikipe

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I get catch as a first skill on a thrower because i use another player to get the ball and go to a safe zone of the pitch a use in the next turn a hand off to the thrower and then he passes to a catcher. I waste few RR in this manner.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I've taken Accurate before Sure Hands (right before) with my two wood elf throwers for a few reasons:

1) they rolled doubles on their first skill roll, which gave them Strong Arm. When coupled with Accurate, this now makes a Long Bomb 3+ with RR, which added to MA7 means pretty well anywhere on the pitch at that 3+ with RR.

2) because of this range, it makes the thrower more likley to catch the ball than pick it up, as it is his job to wait well out of blitz range and throw it next turn - which often requires someone else to pick up the ball and hand it off to him in the backfield.

3) becuase of the doubles on first (and on the next thrower, second) skill rolls, my team had a bunch of RR bought by the time the Sure Hands/Accurate descision came up, which means my 2+ pickup roll usually DID have a RR, as freak_in_a_frock mentioned.

4) as long as you bother to cover the ball with a TZ or two (not like you need to spend all those actions blocking), and considering where the ball is often kicked, failing a pickup roll (off the intial kickoff) is a total disaster perhaps 20% of the time. Fumbling or failing your pass is a disaster 98% of the time, ergo a skill which helps prevent this will help prevent disaster more often. So even if your thrower picks up the ball three times as many times as he throws it, which is not very likley given his job is always to throw it once he gets it, IMHO Accurate will help more often, especially preventing fumbling from range. Despite MA7 allowing a short pass most of the time, opting for a longer pass (and thus keeping the thrower further from opposing players) can help mitigate the damage of a 1,1 pass roll.

5) given my (and most people's) wood elf tactics of several receivers deep, often the pass must be thrown though coverage, made Safe Throw an even higher priority than Sure Hands.

Just my reasons, I know some people like to have Sure Hands on those throwers early to save the team RR, and I can see the logic in that too, especially if they don't have so many team RR at the time of the first thrower skill roll...
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, my woodie teams never get a thrower in the first place til after they've played a good many games--during this time, the linemen are throwing the ball around (short passes only) for free spp's to skill up. So by the time my thrower ever makes his first skill, the team has several rr's already. At this point, safethrow is usually more important, as the opposing team might have multiple passblockers to interfere with the passing game.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2004 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

My most successful WE team has been all linos and 3 RRs to start. When I eventually bought Thrower, I had been giving my linos Block as a first skill, meaning they would burn less RRs hitting. That left RRs to burn on picking up the ball. And like others said, I wanted my thrower to be VERY good at throwing while picking up the ball was less of a concern.

So I didn't need SH for the RR, that leaves avoiding Strip Ball as the other main reason for taking SH. Like others, I put my Thrower well out of Blitz range when he has the ball, so strip ball (or other blocking related skills) aren't so important to me. I've decided to groom my Thrower entirely around throwing to begin with, and later to work on block defense, and possibly later to pick up SH, but its certainly not a priority and I can easily see him aging to retirement before I bother with SH. I think SH is a fine choice, its just a matter of priorities and team development choices. If I had started with 3 positional players and a single RR, I likely would have taken SH on the first or second skill, but with 3 starting RRs, it wasn't necessary.
poodle-man

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2004 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have some money to play with or your looking at getting a full roster making a defensive thrower is a great idea. Get an accurate, safe throw thrower for offense and for Defense, Sure hands and either dodge or kick. Ag 4 sure hands means you stand a pretty good chance of picking it up even in a handful of TZ's. Which is hugely useful combined with strip ball WD's for stoping the cage once it forms up.