25 coaches online • Server time: 04:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EcLiPsE

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2004 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

LtMonkey wrote:
*snip*

For bashy High Elves watch some of this teams earlier games
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=19335

E.G http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=174690

one of the most impressive teams coached by a true master of the ancient arts of the boot. that build works quite well with 2 dps and no constant fouling 1-16. althou i must admit that's the most fun with that team...
Markus

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2004 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin is right that an all-lineman-HE team shouldn't pass too much. With that setup it's better to play an agility-running game like young DE, with a mobile cage. A quick pass is successfull on 2+ so i do a lot of those but just with the intention to get the linos the first skill. Additionally the failed elvish pass never is inaccurate, it's always a fumble. so if you pass the ball with a few teammates surrounding the passer (mobile cage) a failed pass will possibly end up in more than one TZ of your players. So even w/o passer all elves can play a very controlled game.

after suffering the first cas i replace those linos with a thower (very well-priced compared to we/de) and possibly dws. as long as there are no catchers in the team i don't go for the long passes/bombs (unless the play could win and not cost me the game), but play a fast running game. by the time the team gets the 3rd catcher, the thrower should be around 30 spp and nearing safe throw, so that's time to start the true HE-Long passing game.

AG 6 helps a lot for dodging into 2+ TZ or getting the ball out of 2+ TZ or catching the ball in bad weather/2+TZ/near 2+ FA-players/interceptions. But an AG 5/dodge/catch/Passblocker will succeed more often making an interception than the AG6/dodge/Passblocker, because it's impossible to use trr during the passblock turn and the catch rr incraeses the chance of an interception more than the one point lower targetnumber. That's as well true for getting the ball with ag5/surehands compared to ag6/no sh, even though you could use a trr for getting the ball. But that's something about personal taste and i dislike using trr on failed pickups. Ag 6 players with dodge definitly make cool cage-breakers for desperate messures, but unless the ag6 player has dodge, block and sidestep cage breaking will more often than not result in e.m.u.-points for the other team (dead/niggled/ag5 elf).

If you start a new team with LW it could be better to get accurate before surehands for PW, because this team has another scoring-strategy than the all-lino team (more long passes/bombs). So it all depends on the starting lineup and the strategy/preferences of the coach.

But for all starting-lineups in open ff8 is minimum, cause si/deaths are inevitable and lots of replacments needed, and leads to less PI/thrown rocks against you. I recommend at least 2 trr to start with. This could result in teams like 9 linos/pw/lw/ff9/2rr 10k, or 9linos/pw/dw/ff9/2rr and many more. HE are the most flexible and reliable of all elf-teams because of quite good armor and relativly cheap possitionals.

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2004 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Markus wrote:
Additionally the failed elvish pass never is inaccurate, it's always a fumble.

True for Quick Passes - I remember with pain the Short Pass with the Sure Hands PW that went awry at great cost....

The note about Ag6 is that though Ag5/Sure Hands or Ag5/Catch or even Ag5/Dodge will do their respective pick-ups/catching/intercepting/dodging better (without TRR), the Ag6 guy is pretty good at all of them (esp with TRR). I did reach a point where I wasn't sure which direction to take mine - he generally plays in the back field out of harm's way until I know where the direction of play is going, so I was going to go with Pass Block or just Block for safety. Strip Ball after Block might be interesting, but I figured that would be better for an Ag5 Leaper on the team - the Ag6 guy can then swoop in to grab the loose ball.

I have never played an EMU coach knowingly, btw - I have no interest in playing anyone who's primary interest is not winning the game. I've no objection to them doing whatever they like, just not with my teams and my time.
tautology

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2004 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

A few notes from a semi-successful elf coach:
Well, first of all High Elves are the only elves that I don't really play with...so keep that in mind!

Throwers: I like Accurate, Safe Throw, Sure Feet, Dodge ..in that order. Doubles should be Strong Arm, Doubles again should be Nerves of Steel. +AG is golden of course, as is +MA. +ST is...well....+ST. Its not like you'll turn it down Wink
One issue with throwers is their relatively quick aging. If you have developed your offense in such a way that passing is paramount, then you will want to try to keep a second thrower "skilling up" as your primary thrower approaches decrepitude. You may consider having a second thrower be a Block/Dodge type with just Accurate and maybe safe Throw to tide you through the rough spots where you don't have a primary thrower....just try to keep his SPPS lowish. I don't like Sure Hands for a thrower unless he will be used for ball retrieval on defense (AG5 throwers, for instance) Part of the reason is that I like to retrieve the ball on offense with another player and throw it to the thrower...really like getting those odd SPPS that way. Catch might be a nice thing for that thrower, eventually. Be careful with throwers though...they can really inflate your team strength and team rating! It is a lot of SPPs for a player who does little on defense!

Blitzers: You have only 2 Blitzers...which is weak! I think they should get : Dodge, Tackle, Side Step..or Tackle, Dodge, Side Step. 4 th skill probably Shadowing...maybe Leap. Doubles should be Guard. Forget Mighty Blow. I might take it as a second double...sure. But Guard comes first. +AG should be followed by Leap. +MA? I go against the grain somewhat here....I would not take it except as a 4th or 5th skill. You really need the fundamentals if you want to put up a credible defense.

Catchers: These guys are good, no doubt about it....but they are skill starved! In the long run, you want Block/Dodge of course...but the rest should probably fill roles. Side Step is always useful and Leap is good on at least 2 (with AG5 leap is a no-brainer!) I would develop one with Block/Dodge Leap/Strip Ball...not necessarily in that order. Shadowing is good for these guys too, but only after Block/ Dodge/ Side Step is achieved. I would use doubles for Nerves of Steel on one catcher, maybe 2.....but really you should take guard unless you have it in abundance elsewhere. +MA is no good unless its a 5th skill....these guys are just too skill starved, IMO.

Line-elves: Well, we all know about Block/Dodge/Side Step, but high elves need a bit of extra Tackle as well, so one or 2 should pick this up. Diving Tackle is useful as well and should be considered. Of course one Elf must have Kick. Doubles are Guard. Second doubles should be...well ...Guard again just in case you missed it the first time. Seriously though, if you have Guard, don't take another double until you have Blodge. You want those guys to live, don't you? And what, are you just going to age them by giving them 5 skills?

It is worth noting that this sort of advice will change if (or when) aging is actually removed from the game.

I don't want to reveal all my secret techniques here (feeble though they may be!) but in my opinion Roos said it best: Elven Defense is all about taking chances, just like Elven Offense is all about not rolling dice.
 Jump to: