41 coaches online • Server time: 13:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

VanGorn's divU recovery thread just gave me an idea.

Instant Recovery Tournies!

If we have, at a set time (or times) each week, a small tournament between similarly-undermanned teams (judged by the group leader/staff), then we can have them all recover at once.

The games would of course be 'real' games, with restrictions only on what teams could play in them.

Maybe there would have to be a restriction on DPs and suchlike too.

If teams are kicked from the group after each tournament, and checked & accepted just before it started, we should be able to create quite fair games. (Assuming different 'divisions' for certain TR ranges, of course).

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Azurus on %b %16, %2004 - %23:%Oct; edited 5 times in total
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

of course the only place this would happen is U
And after round 1 no one *should need to recover*......
nice idea ish, but cant see it working atm.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Zy-Nox wrote:
And after round 1 no one *should need to recover*

Yeah, was thinking about this, but then, if nobody needs to recover in round 2, then it's just another game isn't it, so I see no problem.

And obviously I was only talking about divU, would be terrible anywhere else.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice idea, I like it.
But my team will join another tournament, after 2 or 3 matches where they hopefully regain some strength.

BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem with this is that you need the permission of the commissioners of the other team's leagues to allow teams to play outside their designated tourneys.

Let's say I'm in the PowerLuke 100 tourney. Yes, I just made it up. I just got decimated and I'm 10k short of replacing my blitzer and I'm down to 9 players with a MNG and facing Khemri in the next round. Yikes. So, I want to go join an Instant Recovery Tourney (IRT). The only problem is that if I do so, The commissioner of the PL100 tourney might give me the boot for playing outside games.

Now if you just set up a group and say that you'll do Instant Tourneys whenever you get 4 U teams in #IRT with less than 11 players, then that might work. The only thing you'd have to look out for is people habitually joining with their "ailing" teams in order to inflate the 10 players they bother to keep around.

It's also sort of a nightmare for the admins... They have to keep an eye on all this to make sure people aren't agreeing to use this as an SPP farm. That's bad.

In short, I'd say maybe you could try starting a short league which only allows experienced, but battered U teams and awards points for "soft" play (ie: Points for TDs and wins but not for CAS) but does not specifically disallow "tough" play. That might be the closest you're going to get to a legal and reasonable compromise.

Sounds kinda weak to me but we can all play how we like (so long as we're not violating what few rules exist).

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a very bad idea
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

negatory, playing outside leagues to recover defies the point of playing in a league to start with.
recover group for teams in U not playing in groups, fine

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Zy-Nox wrote:
And after round 1 no one *should need to recover*......

no prob.. my khemri can always join in and cause some need for recovery... Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Dammit CJ, wait until they join!

Z
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, there are some conditions were a team cannot join such a tournament, but other tournaments have restrictions, too.
On the other hand several coaches may decide not to retire their team. (Who likes to play against throw-away-teams?)
And there are many vagabound unranked teams around. Ex-ranked ones or teams which played in a dead tournament.

Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
The only problem with this is that you need the permission of the commissioners of the other team's leagues to allow teams to play outside their designated tourneys.

No, the idea was that only the 'wandering' divU teams would be able to participate. I certainly wouldn't condone teams already in a tourney getting extra games.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
In short, I'd say maybe you could try starting a short league which only allows experienced, but battered U teams and awards points for "soft" play (ie: Points for TDs and wins but not for CAS) but does not specifically disallow "tough" play. That might be the closest you're going to get to a legal and reasonable compromise.

And that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. As for the '10 core players' thing, you're right, but it is something that can be watched. IMO, a team with 10 (or 9) strong players should not be looking for recovery games anyway, as they can most likely take on a regular team with few problems.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Sounds kinda weak to me but we can all play how we like (so long as we're not violating what few rules exist).

The idea was to make recovery games a bit more fun (and easier to find). I've had plenty of teams face a real struggle to get back to a full team and after a while it gets tiresome to push uphill all the time. Would be nice to have an easier way of finding similar teams. (and hence more even games).

Oh, and I realise that should all have been in one post but I'm only thinking in fragments today. Sorry.
Uncle_Smed

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh... My.... Lord.

You really are a big Elf... aren't you?
Not sure how abusive I can get in this post, so I'll keep it short.
This idea works for people who SHOULD NEVER HAVE PLAYED 'BOWL in the first place.
Being the Underdog, Taking the hits, Paying the price for building a successful running team and ignoring the bash aspect.. all these things are part of 'Bowl.

Teams get retired for their coaches having "agreements" about hitting each other, and about fouling each other. I don't see how any stipulation about SPPs not being awarded for Casualties OR how limiting Dirty Player is any different at all.

If you need the recovery match that badly, go cherry pick a rookie team and give them some experience.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Somebody's obviously misunderstood everything that has been written in this thread. Or simply hasn't read it.

And how could you stop SPPs being awarded for casualties, may I ask?